1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Weird glitch (related to HDMI?)

Discussion in 'General Satellite Discussion' started by Spring Rubber, Jun 23, 2009.

1. Spring Rubber

Spring Rubber AllStar

Dec 9, 2006
    I just tuned to the Cubs game on WGN-TV (the local Chicago channel) on my DirecTV HD receiver (via HDMI), and to my surprise, there was no commentator audio whatsoever; however, when I viewed the same DirecTV receiver using my SlingBox, I was getting the commentator audio just fine. Also, when I changed the channel on the TV to something else and then back to HDMI, I was able to get the commentator audio just fine again. I take it there was probably some sort of HDMI-related issue, but what went wrong? I was able to get all of the other audio from the channel I was watching (stadium microphones, bumper music when going to break, full commercial audio), but not the commentators' audio. I'm hoping to maybe learn a little about the technical details about what happened here. :p

2. jerry downing

jerry downing Godfather

Mar 7, 2004
    Illinois
    What type of audio do you use. It's possible that one channel went to sleep.

3. mutelight

mutelight Godfather

Oct 6, 2008
    It seems like some sort of downmixing issue. All HD content include an AC3 (Dolby Digital) audio stream and it is as if your TV was just receiving the Left and Right channel audio while not downmixing the Center channel (where all dialog, commentary, voice, etc) is placed. When you changed back the TV probably locked the audio format correctly that time forcing the downmix.