1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Weird pixelization on certain HD channels

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by John127, Oct 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John127

John127 Mentor

Oct 14, 2007
    So, some background. I'm in NYC and I'm on my second HR20 in a month, the first one lost the signal from both inputs and never recovered. A new box was set up a few days ago.

I haven't had a problem on any stations at all before this, but last night I noticed, on a few HD channels, this constant, weird, pixelization with audio stuttering. Networks affected include MHD, MGM, Smithsonian, Starz, and Food Network (there may be others, these are the only ones I've noticed so far). NFL network was fine last night (while others were affected) but this morning is pixelized - strange! Not all HD channels are affected.

Before I call, I was wondering if anyone here knew what the issue might be? Can it be only the new HD channels and something on their end? It's hard to believe that it's an alignment issue because they were coming in just fine.

Any thoughts are most appreciated, thanks!

- John

2. jtn

jtn Banned User

Oct 18, 2007
    Pixelation occurs on all carriers as it could be the feed from the network. Otherwise it could be inclement weather, or the type of TV you have. 720P is better for faster moving pictures/images than 1080i.

If you had a free install, without the service plan, then they do not tweak the dish for alignment with the proper meter, like the Accutrac III.

Others in this forum will respond if I have missed something. There are many threads about pixelation problems on DBStalk.

3. John127

John127 Mentor

Oct 14, 2007
    I should have done a search first, as I see others are having this same problem with the new HD channels. I have a feeling this will not be an easy fix.

I just did a reset again - fixed the problem on NFL network but NOT on the other stations. This is really weird.

4. John127

John127 Mentor

Oct 14, 2007
    Just an update.

I've restarted (through the menu) many times to no avail, but tonight, I unplugged and started again in a couple of minutes.
    Problem gone - for the last few hours, anyway. Does anyone have a guess as to what the problem was/is? Is it software or hardware related?

Thanks,
    John

5. K4SMX

K4SMX Hall Of Fame

May 19, 2007
    Please post your signal strengths from the MENU BUTTON > HELP & SETTINGS > SETUP > SAT & ANT > "View Signal Strength" for the 99(b), and 103(b) satellites. Also please note if there are any substantial differences between tuner 1 and tuner 2 when you check these numbers. If not, post the numbers for only one tuner. Try to check them both when you are and again when you are not having problems and note any differences in these readings.

And welcome to DBSTalk.com

6. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    John ...
    See the pixelation thread here ....
    http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=102085

Some of us are having problems with the HR20-700, even with great signal levels.

But do post back with your signal readings here. Marginal signal levels are the leading cause of these symptoms.

7. John127

John127 Mentor

Oct 14, 2007
    Thanks for the help and welcome.

24hrs since the unplug/reset and all is still well. Here is the requested info:

99(b) - 100/99/83/96/100/96 (not much difference on tuner 2)

103(b) - all numbers above 94

I assume these numbers are good. If the issue resumes, I'll be sure to check again.

- John

8. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Yep, those readings look great.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.