1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

weird problem with HR44-500 & external dock

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by hclarkjr, Jul 26, 2013.

1. hclarkjr

hclarkjr Cool Member

Feb 18, 2012
    i am having problems with the dock staying connected. every time i set recordings it goes back to the internal drive, other than that i have no problem using the exteranl dock with it. it seems like every time i set 2-3 recordings real close together time wise something happens that it somehow goes back to the internal hard drive. anybody have a clue what in the world is happening? i am using the black x external dock with a western digital AV-GP 2TB.

2. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I'm not 100% sure what you're asking. It sounds like you have an external hard drive and it's giving you trouble. Unfortunately support for external hard drives is sort of limited. It's almost like you're saying you have a DIRECTV-approved accessory but that just isn't the case, since no such accessory exists.

3. hclarkjr

hclarkjr Cool Member

Feb 18, 2012
    i do not think it is the drive as i can record 1 thing at a time fine, it is when i set things to record close together time wise it somehow goes back to the internal drive

4. Stuart Sweet

Jun 18, 2006
    What model enclosure are you using?

5. hclarkjr

hclarkjr Cool Member

Feb 18, 2012
    i am using the black x external dock with a western digital AV-GP 2TB.

6. Stuart Sweet

Jun 18, 2006
  7. hclarkjr

hclarkjr Cool Member

Feb 18, 2012
  8. hclarkjr

hclarkjr Cool Member

Feb 18, 2012
  9. RunnerFL

RunnerFL DIRECTV A-Team

Jan 4, 2006
    What Stuart is saying is that it's not officially supported per DirecTV. Many of us here have that dock and it works fine.

To your original post though... I don't see how that's happening. It shouldn't matter when you have recordings to set. The only time the HR flips back to the internal drive is if it no longer detects the external and even then it takes a reboot to get it to work on the internal again. The HR won't just randomly flip between the drives.

Is it possible that your eSATA cable is lose, or bad, and the unit is rebooting because it no longer detects the external?

It could also be the dock itself is bad and it's "dropping out" causing a reboot of the HR so that the HR can start using the internal.

10. RoyGBiv

RoyGBiv Icon

Jul 24, 2007
    I also would suspect the cable or the socket on the DVR. I have 2 HR20s attached to ext drives. One is the "supported" WD My DVR, and the other is a black x with a WD drive. The black x and drive work flawlessly, but the other has a cable that is extremely sensitive to touch and even vibration. If I even gently touch it, it will disconnect and cause the HR to reboot. Sometimes when the HR does reboot it does not sense the external drive. Reseating the cable gets it working again. I don't really know if it's the cable or the socket on the HR, but that is where the problem lies.

SMK

11. hclarkjr

hclarkjr Cool Member

Feb 18, 2012
    i will try another cable, i have plenty of those with all the docks i have bought the last few months!!

12. hclarkjr

hclarkjr Cool Member

Feb 18, 2012
    tried another cable, HR44 would not even see the dock. i am wondering if the port on the receiver is bad?

13. wcr

wcr Cool Member

Sep 27, 2009
    I just went through a bout with my HR34 and it's external WD drive. Even with the drive directly attached via a e-sata to sata cable to the DVR, and later a computer, didn't help. I just replaced the drive under waranty and everything is right again.

I was eventually able to get the drive to be recongnized on the computer by repeatedly connecting and disconnecting a USB to e-sata adapter, so I was glad to recover the settings and programs off of it.

14. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    TS, check the thread (I know it is long, but useful) for similar issue - http://www.dbstalk.com/topic/151703-esata-directv-recommended-list/

15. TomCat

TomCat Broadcast Engineer

Aug 31, 2002
    The eSATA connector is not designed with resiliency in mind. The Mendoza line is something like 50 connects that it must survive in testing to be considered OK, which means if it fails on 51, that's still a good connector design from the POV of whoever designed eSATA (and IMO, a team of designers that should be lined up and shot-no cigarette).

Of course that means that the connector is much more fragile than say, USB or HDMI, where the standard is in the thousands of connects MTBF. This should not be an issue since normally an eSATA cable is connected just a few times over its lifetime. Still, kind of a stupid low standard, IYAM.

But think about this: what if you got a refurbed box from someone who thought you needed to plug or unplug that cable every time you switch drives? Plenty of people think that, regardless of it not being true (just power the x drive down for the internal drive at reboot, and power the x drive up shortly before reboot if going to the x drive). You could indeed have a worn connector for that or other reasons.

Or you have a cat, who like every cat, likes to get behind things.

16. hclarkjr

hclarkjr Cool Member

Feb 18, 2012
    sorry, no pets here. :)

17. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    in case if you wondering why the number if insertion is low ? - it was mention for SATA, not eSATA