1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Weird Problem

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Horsefan, Feb 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Horsefan

Horsefan AllStar

Jul 17, 2004
    I have a samsung receiver in my room over the garage and I just noticed a strange problem this winter.

When my oil furnace turns on (it is located in the garage), I lose signal on the satellite televison in that room for 1-3 seconds. Really strange. No other problem with the receiver or anything else. It only occurs when the furnace turns on...no other time.

I have another receiver in my main tv room and it is unaffected.

Any thoughts on what may be causing this?

Jim

2. TEN89

TEN89 Legend

Jun 27, 2003
    is it a electric started furnace? if it is, maybe its on the same outlet line and when the furnace turns on it messes with the receiver a few seconds.

3. Horsefan

Horsefan AllStar

Jul 17, 2004
    Thanks for replying. It is an oil furnace, but of course the fan is electric that starts up. I'm no electrician but the furnace has its own breaker (if that makes sense to anybody) The outlet to my receiver is on another breaker. To reiterate, the receiver stays on, the video just freezes or goes away for a couple of seconds when the furnace comes on. Weird but true.

Jim

4. ERSanders

ERSanders Legend

Apr 24, 2002
    I would appear that there is a voltage drop when the motor turns on. This is a basic electrical supply problem which should be dealt with by an electrician. The quick fix might be a small UPS on the Satellite receiver, but you should get the underlying problem resolved.

5. HappyGoLucky

HappyGoLucky Banned User

Jan 11, 2004
    Oil furnaces also use an electric igniter that draws a considerable amount of amps when starting.

It does sound as though there is a voltage drop or other electrical interference problem involved, so a UPS might solve the problem. Or it might not.

6. deraz

deraz Daydreamer DBSTalk Gold Club

Sep 25, 2004
    What is a UPS? I can't imagine a brown truck delivering packages will help.

7. trnsfrguy

trnsfrguy Legend

Nov 10, 2004
    Uninterruptible Power Supply

8. B Peck

B Peck New Member

Feb 9, 2005
    Is the receiver getting turned off or does it just say searching for sat. You could test to see if the furnace is really effecting it through the circut by running an extension cord from the receiver to an outlet that is on a different circut.

Bryan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.