1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Well, its official - Im a cord cutter

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Jasqid, May 8, 2013.

1. May 8, 2013 #1 of 32
    Jasqid

Jasqid Legend

Oct 26, 2008
    Hello Gents! Just wanted to fyi u all that as of today I became a cord cutter. I closed my perfect DirecTV account. Thank you to all of you who have helped me through the years and also partaking CE with ya. I'll still lurk a bit here to keep up with things. Perhaps this could change in a few months but well see.

2. May 8, 2013 #2 of 32
    peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    so what are you using to please your viewing habits?

3. May 8, 2013 #3 of 32
    Chris Blount

Chris Blount Creator of DBSTalk Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 22, 2001
    Don't forget our "Cord Cutting" forums on the site. :)

Lot's of IPTV forums to choose from.

4. May 8, 2013 #4 of 32
    The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Did you suspend your account or close it completely. Sometimes it may be worth it to suspend it (you can do so for up to 6 months) as that way if you realize you can't survive as a cord cutter you can easily go back to DirecTV.

- Merg

5. May 8, 2013 #5 of 32
    rmmccann

rmmccann AllStar

Apr 16, 2012
    ND, USA
    If you're out of contract and not on a classic package, you're better off cancelling and just resubbing later if needed. You can take advantage of new equipment and fresh discounts.

6. May 8, 2013 #6 of 32
    ThomasM

ThomasM RF Engineer

Jul 20, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    You only get ONE DVR for free if you resubscribe. All of the money he has paid for up front for his receivers is gone if he cancels.

It's also unlikely that he will get even one DVR or any discounts if he doesn't remain a non-customer for some time.

7. May 8, 2013 #7 of 32
    rmmccann

rmmccann AllStar

Apr 16, 2012
    ND, USA
    I guess I don't know what he has for equipment, but looking at his sig it looks like 1 older DVR and an older receiver. He'd come out just fine. A lot of people (not necessarily on this website, but in general) would also find a Genie DVR more than adequate for their recording needs.

This last summer I cancelled and resubscribed, getting rid of a pair of HR24s and some H24 receivers for a Genie and 3 H25s. I didn't pay a dime and am currently enjoying new customer discounts. I don't know that this would work for everyone, but I'm not special and I was able to accomplish just that. There was definitely less than a 6 month gap between cancelling and resubscribing though.

I don't know, was just a thought.

8. May 8, 2013 #8 of 32
    ThomasM

ThomasM RF Engineer

Jul 20, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    You are very lucky to have obtained all that without being a non-subscriber for very long. You must have maintained your account in good standing and not received any deals or offers for some time prior to canceling.

9. May 8, 2013 #9 of 32
    Richard

Richard Legend

Apr 23, 2002
    South Texas
    What cord did you cut? With DirecTV, there really is only the cable ("cord") from the dish to your receiver. So you have wireless internet? If not, no cord has really been cut... Just saying.

10. Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson 6EQUJ5 WOW! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 24, 2007
    Ummm...Ok. :cool:

:p

[SIZE=10.5pt]Cutting the cord has come to mean dropping the conventional TV service provider in favor of other sources such as broadcasters websites or Netflix...I’m just sayin’ :grin:[/SIZE]

Mike

11. directv newb

directv newb Mentor

Jun 24, 2012
    The thought of life without my directv and my Genie HORRIFIES me!!

12. billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    Not so! I started getting "Come Back" messages with a free DVR less than a month after I switched to FiOS. I did suspend for a couple weeks, but FiOS was so much better that I quickly cancelled.

13. rmmccann

rmmccann AllStar

Apr 16, 2012
    ND, USA
    I was and am an autopay premier subscriber w/ NFL Sunday Ticket, so that probably helps.

14. PCampbell

PCampbell Icon

Nov 18, 2006
    Let us know how it works out and good luck.

15. littaguy714

littaguy714 New Member

May 9, 2013
    I was with DTV for 12 years. Had one of their bigger monthly packages, plus the NFL ticket.

I had one HD DVR and one DVR.

DTV wanted me to pay 99 bucks to get a second HD DVR and 299 to get a Genie.

I cancelled my subscription. When I called to cancel, the retention department offered me the moon to stay. Suddenly, I had a 200 equipment credit on my account and they were willing to waive the extra 99 bucks for the Genie.

Now, two weeks later, I am getting inundated with offers from DTV to come back. Free Genie, free install, free NFL ticket, free movie channels for 3 months and $200 worth of gift cards to help cover any cancellation fees on my new service.

All I wanted was a second HD DVR, yet they had to have their 99 bucks. Cancel service and they are willing to spend 4 times that to bring me back.

16. wahooq

wahooq DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Oct 19, 2011
    Tulsa, OK
    this is an idiotic policy

17. goinsleeper

goinsleeper Godfather

May 22, 2012
    Not really.

18. Old_School

Old_School Legend

Nov 28, 2011
    PA
    me too.. i often have nightmares of the wife forcing us to move and when we get there we are not allowed to install a dish! :bang

19. goinsleeper

goinsleeper Godfather

May 22, 2012
    I can feel the passion! :)

20. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Yet it happens everyday…