1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

We're a Nielsen Family

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by Karl Foster, Oct 30, 2003.

1. Karl Foster

Karl Foster Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    Just got our little log books in the mail yesterday and beginning tomorrow, we log every program we watch on each tv for a week. Should prove quite interesting. They told me that shows we don't watch live (we never watch live tv any more) just to write the word time-shifted next to the title.

Have any of the rest of you been asked to be a Nielsen family?

2. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz Day Sleeper DBSTalk Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    Interesting, but aren't you supposed to sign a NDA saying that you are not to disclose the fact that you are a Neilson family?

3. Karl Foster

Karl Foster Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    I didn't sign anything, and none of the paperwork says anything about a NDA.

4. clapple

clapple Godfather

Feb 11, 2003
    Please, please tell me you don't watch reality tv. There has to be some way to kill that drivil.
    :sure:

5. Chris Blount

Chris Blount Creator of DBSTalk Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 22, 2001
    I did the Neilson thing once. Keeping the logs was kind of pain but it was fun nevertheless.

6. Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt Your Neighborhood Liasion

Mar 23, 2002
    Very cool, Karl. I've done the arbitron ratings for radio once, but haven't had the opportunity to do the neilsons.

7. Danny R

Danny R Goblin the Pug DBSTalk Gold Club

Jul 5, 2002
    I've done the radio thing three times now, but never TV. Ah the power I would wield if only I had it. ;)

8. DBSPaul

DBSPaul Mentor/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 26, 2002
    DannyR, quit distracting me with that avatar of yours... :grin:

With all the time-scrunching I do between 3 TiVos, I think having to log it would be a royal pain.

9. Randy_B

Randy_B Icon/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 23, 2002
    For a couple of years, we got the paper log books in the mail 2-3 times a year. They never came with an NDA either. We also had 3 TVs, 2 with Dishplayers on them. Tracking who was watching what on what TV and getting the correct logbook was a bit of pain, but I figured if it helped keep some of my favorites shows then it was worth it.

Of course, having a DP, on more than a couple of ocassions we had to log shows that we had recorded but the DP had dumped before we ever had a chance to actually watch it. Good thing their wasn't a quiz. We figured our intent counted for something!

10. bills976

bills976 Godfather/Supporter

Jun 30, 2002
    That's why TiVo has the history list/ToDo list, so you can see what's been recorded and dutifully report back to Nielsen.

11. sorahl

sorahl Godfather/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Oct 24, 2002
    we did this last year but thekepping up with three books was to much for us. i hope the real nielson tracking is more sophisticated...

12. angiodan

angiodan Godfather/Supporter

Sep 2, 2002
    I also did the books thing a couple of years ago, it did become a little tedious with 3 books. Give me the black box that does it automatically!

13. mjz

mjz AllStar

Jul 27, 2002
    Please write down that you watch a lot of repeats of 'Family Guy' and pray that they thing that show back!

14. ayalbaram

ayalbaram Legend

Aug 4, 2003
    Couldn't have said it better myself.

15. DJ Rob

DJ Rob Godfather

Jul 24, 2003
    We were asked to be a Nielson Family last summer but then they said they didn't support the Dish PVR 508 receiver we have...so we were turned down.
    I wonder how many families are turned down because of unsupported Dish (or DBS) receivers?

16. torque91

torque91 Cool Member

Sep 16, 2003
    It would be interesting at my house to have a Nielson box considering my girlfriend leaves her dog there with the TV on Cartoon Network all day. I wonder how to log that.

17. Jacob S

Jacob S Hall Of Fame

Apr 14, 2002
    I have done this two or three times, and they waited for a number of years in between doing so. Last time they sent a dollar bill with the logbook thanking me for participating (before even sending the logbook back) perhaps bribing people to fill it out, who knows.

I had a customer once that I got charged back on that had a Nielson setup with PrimeStar and I found out that it was due to the customer calling Dish Network telling them that their receiver was not capable of doing the Neilson tracking through their receiver that Dish Network swapped the receiver with one that had a serial port in the back. I got charged back more than I even made and I told Dish Network that I refused to pay for Nielson's hookup and that I was going to turn them into the Better Business Bureau and Attorney General and I got my money back after a year's time.

The family was on a long-term Nielson rating group that monitered not through a logbook but it was automatically done I believe. This has been about 4 years ago.

18. nielsenguy

nielsenguy New Member

Nov 9, 2003
    JacobS - I am sorry to hear about your chargeback issues. If that ever happens again please PM me and I will be happy to help out.

19. Karl Foster

Karl Foster Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    :welcome_s

Welcome to DBSTalk. We hope you stop by often.

20. nielsenguy

nielsenguy New Member

Nov 9, 2003
    Thank you - I have already created a desktop shortcut... It is a great site :)