1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

We're from the FCC and...oh, never mind...

Discussion in 'Legislative and Regulatory Issues' started by phrelin, Nov 23, 2011.

1. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    From The Morning Bridge:
    Let's see, Julius Genachowski is an Obama guy, while Kevin Martin was appointed by Bush. Why again do I think political parties matter?

The article continues:
    Ah, the voice of the public's interest. From a lobby group no less. And pointing out there are anti-trust violations. Don't they understand, we no longer hate unfettered capitalists doing what they do best? In this case make the cost of me watching television skyrocket. :rolleyes:

2. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    Other way around. Rules need to be tightened up and some mega-lopolies forced to divest.

3. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Guys, let's be careful here. We're on the right track but let's not go political.

4. Drucifer

Drucifer New Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    I don't mind one company having a hand in all type of media, just as long as they're not the only game in town.

5. Herdfan

Herdfan DIRECTV A-Team

Mar 18, 2006
    Teays...
    Got one of the former here in my market. Sinclair owns WCHS (ABC), but also "operates" WVAH (FOX). Not sure about the latter, but it most likely applies as well.

They don't even try to hide the fact they are in this together. All their news vehicles have both station logo's and the newscasts are almost the same.

What does this mean to me as a consumer? Very little save for the fact that if DirecTV and Sinclair get into a pi**ing contest over carriage fees, I run the risk of losing not one, but two affiliates. In this market, WSAZ is the dominant station and IIRC, they have more people watching their news than the other 3 combined, so dual ownership/control is mostly irrelevant here.

6. wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose Hall Of Fame

Aug 16, 2006
    Citizen Kane is very happy these days :nono2: