1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

We're from the FCC and...oh, never mind...

Discussion in 'Legislative and Regulatory Issues' started by phrelin, Nov 23, 2011.

1. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    From The Morning Bridge:
    Let's see, Julius Genachowski is an Obama guy, while Kevin Martin was appointed by Bush. Why again do I think political parties matter?

The article continues:
    Ah, the voice of the public's interest. From a lobby group no less. And pointing out there are anti-trust violations. Don't they understand, we no longer hate unfettered capitalists doing what they do best? In this case make the cost of me watching television skyrocket. :rolleyes:

2. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    Other way around. Rules need to be tightened up and some mega-lopolies forced to divest.

3. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Guys, let's be careful here. We're on the right track but let's not go political.

4. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    I don't mind one company having a hand in all type of media, just as long as they're not the only game in town.

5. Herdfan

Herdfan Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Teays...
    Got one of the former here in my market. Sinclair owns WCHS (ABC), but also "operates" WVAH (FOX). Not sure about the latter, but it most likely applies as well.

They don't even try to hide the fact they are in this together. All their news vehicles have both station logo's and the newscasts are almost the same.

What does this mean to me as a consumer? Very little save for the fact that if DirecTV and Sinclair get into a pi**ing contest over carriage fees, I run the risk of losing not one, but two affiliates. In this market, WSAZ is the dominant station and IIRC, they have more people watching their news than the other 3 combined, so dual ownership/control is mostly irrelevant here.

6. wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose Hall Of Fame

Aug 16, 2006
    Citizen Kane is very happy these days :nono2:

7. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
  8. NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    How about the US Congress removed all privacy constraints against the ISPs?

Internet privacy rules removed by Congress

If anyone here asked their elected official to remove privacy regulations, please tell me why?
    I can't understand how 215 elected officials who voted to do this, were asked by their constituents to remove privacy requirements and make it voluntary?

9. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Of all the elected officials who represent me on only my Senator has asked for my opinion and input. The rest just rule and dictate.

10. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    From my linked story:

Net neutrality has been a 15-year soap opera in Washington, so we certainly don't rule out unforeseen twists," Paul Gallant, an analyst with Cowen and Company said. "But in the end, we anticipate the Republican FCC -- publicly backed by a deregulatory White House -- will follow through and significantly reduce regulation of broadband."​

To me it is all more like a 15-year horror story where two high flying monster fire breathing dragons, the huge corporate service providers and the huge corporate web site owners, fight over control of the FCC castle while we serfs - particularly our money and information - are caught in the middle.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
    Laxguy likes this.
  11. peds48

peds48 Genius. DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Nobody asked them, to the contrary. But many of them got money from lobbyists to remove this regulation.

The 265 members of Congress who sold you out to ISPs, and how much it cost to buy them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk