1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

West Coast Feeds on Dish

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by Scott Greczkowski, Jul 17, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scott Greczkowski

Scott Greczkowski Banned User

Mar 21, 2002
    On the last Customer Charlie Chat someone asked about Dish adding the West Coast feeds of many channels to the Dish Network lineup.

Charlie's answer was something to the effect of they currently carry the West Coast feeds that are available.

I said in the chat that Charlie was wrong about this one. And have sat down and found all the West Coast feeds which are being broadcast.

Here is my list of West Coast Channels that Dish Network does not currently offer.

1. Discovery West
    2. BET West
    3. HBO HD West
    4. Hallmark West
    5. Court TV West
    6. TV Land West
    7. E! West
    8. Comedy Central West
    9. TNN West
    10. TNT West
    11. USA West
    12. Most of the Starz Encore West Channels
    13. Most of the HBO West Channels
    14. History Channel West
    15. BBC America West
    16. Toon Disney West
    17. MTV West
    18. Pax West
    19. A&E West
    20. ABC Family West
    21. FX West

As you can clearly see there are more West Coast feeds then Charlie would have you believe.

If you could pick any 5 West Coast Channels to the Dish Network lineup which 5 would you pick?

2. gcutler

gcutler Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    E!, COmedy Central, History Channel, BBC and MTV

3. Sam1980

Sam1980 Guest

... He also ( in a sense ) mentioned that's what PVRs are for.....Persomnally, I dont need duplicate channels (I'm on the west coast), I'd rather see new channels added (like the recent Nat Geo) and/or awesome PQ. There's enough duplication going on to ask for more of the same in exchange for PQ, IMHO. I agree on the additional VH1 channels not currenly carried as well as some of the adidtional premium channels not currenly carried (so we can see the the same movie even MORE times a day!!)

4. Scott Greczkowski

Scott Greczkowski Banned User

Mar 21, 2002
    Sam,

I hear what you are saying, (and agree with you) I am just trying to show that there are more West Coast channels available then what Charlie Says.

If I had to choose, I would pick.

USA
    TNN
    Comedy Central
    E!
    MTV

5. MarkA

MarkA God Bless America! DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Toon Disney and ABC Family. I don't care at all about the others.

6. AJ2086

AJ2086 Godfather

Jun 1, 2002
    USA, TNN, Comedy Central, FX and TV Land. I want these. Charlie better do it. Is there a Lifetime West? I know PAX has one for each time zone.

7. Sam1980

Sam1980 Guest

I like TNNs programming, but I stopped watching it since they added that bar at the bottom of the screen that squishes everything so that it looks like a funhouse mirror, which to me is alot more annoying than the Nat Geo logo. I tried to watch Star Trek TNG on several occasions and Robot Wars, but simply cannot sit thru more than 30 seconds, so unfortunately, I feel a west coast feed of this would be a waste of bandwith (IMHO)

8. Kevin

Kevin Icon/Supporter

Mar 26, 2002
    1) MTV West
    2) Comedy Central West
    3) E! West
    4) Starz/Encore Pack West
    5) HBO Pack West

9. DarrellP

DarrellP Hall Of Fame

Apr 24, 2002
    None, that's why I have a PVR. Spare the bandwidth, give us more HDTV.

10. Kevin

Kevin Icon/Supporter

Mar 26, 2002
    If the PVR becomes the standard reciever in everyone's homes over the next few years, do you think that Dish would drop all west coast feeds entirely?

11. JohnH

JohnH Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Apr 22, 2002
    Well, I get History west, A&E west USA Network west, and ABC Family west by subscription to C band. Also get Hallmark west, FX west, Pax west, E! entertainment TV west and probably some others via Free Mpeg2 C band.

Not to mention, the Grand Rapids locals are in the clear on EchoStar 1 Tp 5 at 148 degrees. Even have the PAX/WB affiliate which apparently is not offered there, yet.
    :hi:

12. Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    HBO Family West- only for competition reasons

13. Wedgecon

Wedgecon AllStar/Supporter

Jul 13, 2002
    Being on the west coast i kinda like the fact that I get the east coast feeds. This allows me to pick the prime time shows off 3 hours early and they almost never conflict with shows I am trying to record off the local networks.

Now I know having booth feeds would give me even more options..but lets face it a lot of these channels prime time lineup is reapting the same 3 or 4 hour block twice a night..at least for History, Discovery, A&E, etc...

14. Dmitriy

Dmitriy Godfather/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 24, 2002
    Discovery West,
    FX West,
    any 2 of the HBO West Channels,
    and one channel from Starz West Channels.

15. TNGTony

TNGTony Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Mar 23, 2002
    What I would like to see is a hybrid to lighten the 3am-7am (eastern) informercial barrage! It's something that Dish and Direct did with FX for a while (I think they still do--or perhaps it was a unique feed from FX but I doubt it). When the informercial blok began at 2am Dish and Direct would flick over to the west feed and carry that for 3 hours and then flick back to the east feed at 5am. Since FX had most of it's programming schedule on a 3 hour repeating schedule, the same thing could be done with Discovery, TLC, Pax, Hallmark, TNN, BET, Court TV and History Channel. All these channels have at least a 3 hour block of infomercials in the wee hours (easter) and starting at midnight on the west coast!

The remaining channels have unique schedules with real programming all night. Leave these alone.

The only problem with this plan is that it requires that the channels agree to this. Companies pay these cable channels for TV time based on potential viewers or on number of inqueries (calls) generated. It may be that it is more lucrative to have an infomercial that it would be to have "real" programming.

See ya
    Tony

16. jrjcd

jrjcd Arcane Movie Trivia King DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 23, 2002
    I WANT MY WEST COAST LOCALS BACK!!!!

...sorry...

17. Chris Freeland

Chris Freeland Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    I like that idea, unfortunately would the contracts that D* and E* have with these channels permit this?

18. guest

guest Guest

You forgot a few others.

22. Showtime HD West
    23. TLC West
    24. VH-1 West

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.