1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

West, Texas, fertilizer plant explosion

Discussion in 'The OT' started by phrelin, Apr 18, 2013.

1. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    There are many stories and live feeds on line. It's been labeled as a disaster, 4- 5 square blocks of homes have been destroyed. Hundreds injured including emergency personnel. Sad.

2. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    The news is reporting 60-70 dead.

3. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    The "news" I am seeing says two ... but the news got caught earlier today saying there was an arrest in the Boston bombings so I suppose they are being more careful.

4. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Yes, they seem to be backing away from stating how many dead - but they are continuing to report 40 critically injured. Given the video of the explosion and the fact that it was reported by people 70 miles away, it is likely we'll see sad news tomorrow morning.

5. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    This video captures one of the explosions ...
    Just when you think it is safe to watch from a distance -
    [youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aC3ddBq1Dkc[/youtube]
    YouTube

6. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    What don't I understand about news online? Both Google News and Yahoo News offered up headlines on Boston but no headline news on West. Google New had these goofy political headlines:

[​IMG]

Apparently 14 people died and 200 were injured in Texas. Of the 14 dead, 11 were first responders doing what they do. Yet the Wednesday incident has fallen off the front page.

I guess I don't understand. There was a time the body count mattered more than the political debates.

1 person likes this.
  7. Cholly

Cholly Old Guys Rule! DBSTalk Club

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
    Currently, Yahoo has an article on folks being allowed to return to their homes in West as next to top headline. Although it is a truly horrible event, it doesn't really have international impact.
    Google has an article about West in third place among top stories. IMHO Boston pushed into thee top story spot because of the international nature of the marathon and because of the intensity of the manhunt, including the lockdowns of Boston and Watertown.

8. yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo Icon

Nov 1, 2006
    Jacksonville Fl
  9. Lord Vader

Lord Vader Supreme Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire
    You are so correct. There is a murder trial going on right now in Philadelphia, where a man has been charged with the murders of 7 babies and a 41-year-old woman, but that trial is getting NO coverage in the U.S. at all for one reason and one reason only--it involves a political issue that is based on lies and evil. Meanwhile, it's getting lots of coverage in England and a few other countries. The 72-year-old defendant is facing the death penalty if convicted.

But not one bit of coverage. How truly despicable.

10. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    16,259 people were murdered (homicide) in 2010 (per CDC). How many were covered in national news?
    40,393 people were killed by drugs, 25,692 people were killed by alcohol. See that in the news?
    2,490 people died of medical complications. How many in national news?

There were 42 murders in Chicago in January. How many made national news?
    I do not EXPECT every story of every murder to make it to national news.

It is one of the oldest rules of news ... the further away the event the bigger it needs to be to be news. There are global connections to the Boston marathon ... and global interest in terrorist attacks. It is a big story. Shutting down a major US city for a manhunt ... an unprecedented event. It is news.

A large explosion at a fertilizer plant ... yes that is news. But against the story of Boston it barely had a chance to be covered.

Fortunately we have the Internet ... if you really care about a trial that has been going on for several weeks (Jodi Arias is another example) you can find that story. If people want political stores there are plenty of sites available tracking political stories. Boston was the top story - and now that is fading West, Texas, has received some coverage.

BTW: "Trending" on CNN at the moment are the following stories ...
    Boston bombing, manhunt, 'Sweet Caroline', Texas plant explosion, Ricin, NASA, China earthquake, North Korea, Texas DA killing

Fox has West, Texas, Syria and the Colorado Snowboarders as their top stories (below Boston).

News sites are starting to get back to the other stories.

11. Lord Vader

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire
    I don't disagree with what you've written, James, and I can completely understand that. However, when one man murders 7 babies and a refugee woman, that is something very unusual. I'd bet my life that if this Philadelphia case wasn't about you-know-what, it would be receiving a LOT of coverage. It is clearly a concerted effort by the media to not report it at all. Now, had some lone nutjob gone and murdered this Philadelphia defendant instead of this defendant having murdered 7 babies and one woman, THAT would have been reported precisely BECAUSE it would have been about you-know-what and BECAUSE the media is absolutely one-sided on the issue at hand.

But that's to be expected when the entire history of this issue has been based on deception and lies.

1 person likes this.
  12. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    The news spent way too much time on a white American woman who was killed in Aruba. The news spent years covering a Chicago area cop who is apparently a serial killer of his wives. Meanwhile tens of thousand other murders go virtually ignored in the media. I didn't make the decision to focus so much on those specific murders nor do I support it ... but that is old news.

Try not to turn a complaint about lack of coverage of West, Texas, into an off topic conversation about some other story. :)
    Lets talk about West, Texas.

13. Lord Vader

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire
    I have no problem with that.

Now, what's going on in West, Texas? :D

14. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Officials now number the dead from a Central Texas fertilizer plant explosion at 14, while residents attempt to recover some semblance of normalcy in the 2,800-person town of West.
    "The devastation is immense," said Texas Attorney General Greg Abbott of West, Texas, while another official added, "There are homes flattened. Part of that community is gone."

The Dallas Morning News reported that among the dead were at least 11 emergency responders, three of whom were training at the time of the blast to become EMTs. They valiantly rushed to the growing smoke plume that could be seen for miles around the small community of 2,800 people. It would be, as the paper said, "their last call."

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/04/20/numerous-injuries-reported-in-large-explosion-at-texas-fertilizer-plant/#ixzz2R4mP6uMB

15. Lord Vader

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire
    So sad. :(