1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Western Digital WD Elements Desktop

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by Henry, May 23, 2009.

1. Henry

Henry Retired Member

Nov 15, 2007
    Pine, CO
    I'm thinking about purchasing a WD external hard drive for my VIP622. I already own a Seagate FreeAgent, and you all know what that means.
    Newegg has the WD 1 TB drive listed for $109.99.

I'm looking for feedback on any experiences you may have had with this drive and in regards to using it on a VIP622. Thanks in advance.

Here's the Newegg.com link: [​IMG]http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136321

2. dave29

dave29 New Member

Feb 18, 2007
    I wouldn't buy it because it is not actively cooled. It also does not have an eSata port, which is needed for Directv receivers, I don't know about dish.

3. Henry

Henry Retired Member

Nov 15, 2007
    Pine, CO
    Thanks Dave ... DISH uses the USB 2.0 port.

4. Henry

Henry Retired Member

Nov 15, 2007
    Pine, CO
    The silence is very noisy on this subject.

Only got one response, and it recommended against buying it. I'm going to scratch this item from my list.

Maybe I should be asking what you would buy? Like I said earlier, I already own a Seagate FreeAgent 750 GBs EHD and it has all of the nightmare compatibility problems you've read about. But I've been able to get it working with workarounds.

I'm down to my last 200 GBs and am doing my homework so I don't get bit again. I'd like to keep using the Seagate after I buy the new EHD, so I'm also thinking about a USB 2.0 hub with mutually-exclusive switching built in. Any advice in that area would be greatly appreciated.

5. ronton3

ronton3 AllStar

Mar 15, 2006
    I have a My Book 750 that is silent, doesnt get hot, looks nice and works well, it also has firewire and Esata, I am a Mac user so I got the Firewire just in case I wanted to use it that way. I will get another if I need one.

6. Sixto

Sixto Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2005
    I just got another 1TB WD10EVCS from buy.com. Was only $95. Works great in an MX-1!

7. dave29

dave29 New Member

Feb 18, 2007

I always recommend the Antec MX-1 enclosure and a WD GP drive. You can't go wrong with that set-up:)