1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

WGN America HD when?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by Araxen, Jun 11, 2008.

1. Araxen

Araxen Icon

Dec 18, 2005
  2. Mavrick

Mavrick Hall Of Fame

Feb 1, 2006
    Only possible answer would be:

SOON!

If anything. :)

3. qwsxz

qwsxz AllStar

May 12, 2008
  4. bwaldron

bwaldron Impossible Dreamer

Oct 24, 2005
    Either "soon" or "when hell freezes over." Or somewhere between the two.

:)

5. Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
  6. Msguy

Msguy Hall Of Fame

May 22, 2003
    I just saw a post where Dish Network Already has WGN America up and running in HD. Come On DirecTv Get With the Program and get this channel up. There are many Cubs and White Sox games left this year and we need this channel for the Baseball games. Both The Cubs and White Sox are in First Place too. This Channel is a MUST!!

7. levibluewa

levibluewa Icon

Aug 13, 2005
    WA, OR, CA
    at least for the moment. Recently adding FAMHD and Travel ChannelHD, and WGNHD today.

Let's hope the new sat is ready for some 4th of July fireworks!!!

8. Msguy

Msguy Hall Of Fame

May 22, 2003
    I want WGN America HD on DirecTv Soon. I can't believe DirecTv doesn't have it while Dish Network already has it up and running. DirecTv needs to hurry up and get this Channel up and working.

9. whalerfan

whalerfan AllStar

May 31, 2007
    I've seen Family Channel HD. It's on par with NickHD. Pillar bars and no HD content. Waste of space as far as I'm concerned. WGN America would be a nice addition. Although I'm a Mets fan (urgh!), I'd like to see the Cubs and Sox in HD.

10. Msguy

Msguy Hall Of Fame

May 22, 2003
    Since DirecTv is supposed to be the Sports leader for Satellite TV you would think they'd get WGN HD up sooner rather than later because of the Chicago Sports teams that appear nationally on the channel.

11. RAD

RAD DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    A contact I have at WGN says no progress is being made with DirecTV (as of late May). If you e-mail DirecTV asking that they add it they say there are no plans at this time.

12. scrybigtv

scrybigtv Godfather

Jan 25, 2008
    Is WGN America a different channel than WGN?

13. RAD

RAD DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    Yes, there's the WGN-TV/DT that's local to the Chicago DMA and then the WGN America/Superstation that is distributed via satellite to cable companies, Dish and DirecTV.

14. scrybigtv

scrybigtv Godfather

Jan 25, 2008
    I swear I thought WGN had simply started as a local station and then at one point (a few decades ago) decided to go "superstation" and send its signal out via cable and later satellite. I thought we satellite customers saw the same WGN as the citizens of Chicago.

On the same note, are there also two TBSes . . . one for the local viewers in Atlanta and another for the national audience?

Oh, and I too am looking forward to DTV upgrading WGN to HD.

15. bwaldron

bwaldron Impossible Dreamer

Oct 24, 2005
    Nope, this hasn't been the case for quite some time.

There is now only one TBS -- the national one. The local version is now called Peachtree TV, I believe.

16. pdxsam

pdxsam Godfather

Jun 19, 2004
    Years ago we did. In 1988 the new Satellite Home Viewer Act brought in an updated SynDex (Syndication Exclusivity). Syndex says that if a local station is broadcasting a show and they claim Syndex an out of market broadcaster could not show the same show. This caused cable systems all sorts of havoc as they had to figure out how to block WGN in their market when something was claimed. With pressure from the cableco's Tribune created "Superstation" WGN which was syndex free. That's the one most people know.

Used to be.. but not anymore. There was 1 TBS same feed local in Atlanta on Ch 17 and national on cable. Syndex cause them to split out also. They finally converted local WTBS to Peachtree TV.

17. Jhon69

Jhon69 Hall Of Fame

Mar 27, 2006
    Central San...

I guess that DirecTV needs to get rid of 15HD channels then put 3 HD channels back on just like Dish did.:rolleyes:

18. trainman

trainman Hall Of Fame

Jan 9, 2008
    Sherman...
    Actually, TBS didn't have much on their schedule that conflicted with the Syndex rules (they had full national rights to most of their shows), so even after 1988, the Superstation and Channel 17 had the same programming at almost all times -- Channel 17 had a few hours of public-service-type shows every week that didn't air on the Superstation.

19. JOEPOE

JOEPOE New Member

May 29, 2007
    i agree .i do not believe dish is getting this channel first. i am disappointed:nono2:

20. ercjncprdtv

ercjncprdtv Legend

Feb 11, 2008
    Speaking of Syndex, I wonder why Dish has a Superstations Package and D* doesn't?