1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

What am I missing?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by MichelleWieFan, Jun 18, 2014.

1. MichelleWieFan

MichelleWieFan New Member

Jul 19, 2013
    Hello, I recently added a HD DVR to my equipment. The tech installed the HD DVR in room B. It was supposed to go into room A. I wanted to Take the SD Receiver from room A and put it in room B, and install the HD DVR in room A. I have run all the coax cable and was receiving video on both receivers before I moved them. After moving them, I received the error "searching for sattelite signal" on both receivers. I switched them back to their original positions, SD in room A, HD in room B, and the receivers worked ok again. Im not sure what I'm missing here. I thought for sure the receivers would work no matter where I moved them. Is there a step I am missing somewhere to get the receivers to work in their new locations? I have a good idea about what Im doing because I have 13-14 receivers in my house, however I never tried to switch locations of any of them once they were setup. Im drawing a blank here, so i think there must be something I have overlooked.

Thank you in advance for your input. Have a nice day!

2. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Do you have SWM, where the DVRs have one cable running to them?

3. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    posting receiver model numbers and system type would be a good start for troubleshooting. while doing this, make sure you are moving BBCs (if applies) along with HDDVR

4. MichelleWieFan

Jul 19, 2013
    I will get the model numbers. Each receiver has its own line (Coax Cable) running to it. None of my receivers share a Coax connection.

5. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Press the DASH key on your remote control, does the pop up message indicates "SWM: CONNECTED"?

6. MichelleWieFan

Jul 19, 2013
    The SD Receiver = Model: D12-700

The HD DVR = Model: D12-500

Not sure what "SWM", "System Type" or BBCs means

7. MichelleWieFan

Jul 19, 2013
    My main line runs from the DirecTV dish into a couple of Multi switches in order for me to then send out 13 signals on 13 different Coax lines. I did try moving the Coax to another port on th multi switch, but that did not help.

8. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY

9. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    What dish? (type) what multiswitch (model number) you need to provide as much detail as possible, we are not clairvoyant

10. MichelleWieFan

Jul 19, 2013
    HD DVR = Model: HR22-100

sorry I copied and pasted the wrong line !

11. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Keep providing the rest of the info.....

12. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    It sounds like it's SWM if there are 13 coax cables and 13 boxes since there are DVR's in the mix (surely an installer wouldn't put a DVR in single tuner mode).

If that's the case (and dash would confirm) then BBC's wouldn't come into play. I was thinking one side of a SWM16 might get overloaded, but I'd think the D12 would still work.

13. Drucifer

Drucifer New Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    First off, you aren't supplying enough info to get a correct answer.

How many tuners?

A complete list of all model numbers would help mo'

Do your boxes have one or two coax connected to them.

14. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Exactly what I have been saying....

15. inkahauts

inkahauts DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 13, 2006
    Can you take pictures of these switches and also list the model numbers of all your other equipment and explain how its all connected together. Sounds like you have a tuner issue or a dish type issue but without all the info its nearly impossible to get a proper picture of what is happening.

16. cdplayer

cdplayer New Member

Apr 4, 2014
    fl
    sounds to me that he has a swim 16 and when u adds the dvr to the other room its going over the 8 tuners by 1 on that side of the swim 16