1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What are my options here? Busted hd receiver.

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Zellio, Mar 29, 2009.

1. Zellio

Zellio Icon

Mar 8, 2009
    Full story:

I called about replacing a broken hd receiver. The receiver had times where the video would go away while audio played. When I reset the receiver, it was okay for a few weeks. Even when it had problems, I could hook up the hdmi to bluray player, and it worked fine.

So I called to replace. They originally did that. Called an hour later to replace it with an hddvr. Argued that we paid $100 for the damn hd receiver, they would send us a NEW $100 hd receiver, why can't we pay $100 more if they will do that and give us an HDDVR? The guy went ahead and put in an order, I call again to find it's an UPGRADE and we have a due account of $388.35.

I try to get them to let us do standard install, they say they can't do that since the system knows the room has 1 directv line. So I say have it replace the hddvr, they say they can't do that because it's already scheduled for the hd21.

So I agree, hang up, call again. Argue with another person to switch it, end up canceling the hddvr pro install. Wanted to restart the new hd21, and fix all this mess. Was talking to somebody in protection plan, they said they were gonna do this, then I heard a few buttons and I got switched to customer service (??).

I told the guy about it, he said he'd look it, then I heard more buttons and I got switched to another guy.

I told this guy connect me to protection plan. I went over the problem, wanting to replace the receiver, and they put me thru Directv troubleshooting hell. They troubleshooted, reset the receiver, then told me they can't replace it today and if I CALL 3 MORE TIMES, AND STILL HAVE PROBLEMS, ONLY THEN I'LL BE ABLE TO REPLACE IT!!

The $388.35 charge is still showing on my account as well, and I have a broken receiver and nobody is trying to help.

This is crap. A paying customer should not be treated like cattle. If Directv cannot follow their protection plan I will be settling this in small claims court.

Since this is a D* forum, I'd like advice.

2. Zellio

Zellio Icon

Mar 8, 2009
    Bump. Sorry, but I'd like a reply from somebody if possible.

I didn't understand the policies, it's obvious. But I am a paying customer! How the hell can you treat me like this just because I didn't understand these policies?

3. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Not sure exactly what you are talking about here, but Im gathering you had a bad hd receiver, ordered a replacement for it, called back an hour after they agreed to that, and wanted to upgrade to a HDDVR, and then checked your bill and see a $388.35 bill?

You will receive a credit when they get the bad receiver back, or when you authorize the new dvr, usually. If you have NO active receivers right now, that is the fee for early termination of the account, until you either SUSPEND your account until the new DVR arrives, or activate a receiver.

If its something else, try being a little more clear. In any case, you need to speak with BILLING on Monday, so they can explain exactly what the charge is, and correct it for you.

BTW, this is public forum, not the DirecTv owned forum, which can be accessed from the DirecTv website. There isnt anyone from DirecTv here to answer any questions officially.

4. JLucPicard

JLucPicard Hall Of Fame

Apr 27, 2004
    If there's any replacement under the Protection Plan, it would be HD Receiver for HD Receiver. An HD DVR for an HD Receiver is considered an upgrade and not a PP transaction. In that case, there would be a charge for the HD DVR (likely $299) and possibly a charge for the installation.

If you happen to be in an area where there was severe weather when you called, they can't process a replacement (a "weather check" type thing in the system won't allow them to process a replacement). I don't know where you're located and if that may have been the case, but that's the only thing that makes sense to me in what they told you - except for the 3 more times thing. No idea what that's all about.

Unfortunately, when you called back and switched, that's when the problem began. You had a pipeline full of ordering a replacement, trying to cancel the replacement, trying to upgrade, possible other issues not allowing the CSR to process the replacement/upgrade when you were talking to them.

Good luck getting this all straightened out to your satisfaction.

5. JLucPicard

JLucPicard Hall Of Fame

Apr 27, 2004
    BTW, you may want to give a little more than a couple of hours on a Sunday night before expecting a response. :grin:

6. TBlazer07

TBlazer07 Grumpy Grampy

Feb 5, 2009
    HD-DVR hasn't been $299 for well over a year, it's $199 which is why he said he'd pay the $100 difference.

7. bagdropper

bagdropper AllStar

Sep 24, 2007
    If they activate a brand new receiver for any reason on the acct, 2 yr term beginning on that date.

8. TigersFanJJ

TigersFanJJ Hall Of Fame

Feb 17, 2006
    Hopefully the OP will get things straightened out. A little advice though. Don't go in ranting about taking them to court as that does nothing except to make it tougher to get any help.

9. JLucPicard

JLucPicard Hall Of Fame

Apr 27, 2004
    You're absolutely right - posting at work with all the inherent distractions is probably not a great idea! I haven't had to acquire an HD DVR for two years now - a bit out of touch! :)

10. sdirv

sdirv Icon

Dec 14, 2008
    And......like I just got in on, some customers have been offered HD-DVR's for $99.

11. TBlazer07

TBlazer07 Grumpy Grampy

Feb 5, 2009
    And many (like myself) get them for free. But the point was the "selling", oops, I mean LEASING price is $199.95.

12. tds4182

tds4182 Legend

Jul 17, 2003

Not necessarily!

If you have the protection plan and they replace an "owned" receiver that turns defective there is no new 2 year obligation.

I just replaced a defective H20 with a brand new H21 without incurring a new contract.