1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what are the top 10 HD channels in terms of picture quality?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by kathymoore, Nov 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kathymoore

kathymoore Legend

Mar 3, 2006
    what are the top 10 HD channels in terms of picture quality?

thanks! :)

2. Redlinetire

Redlinetire Icon

Jul 24, 2007
    That's extremely subjective and difficult to measure, particularly since the quality of each channel's content varies widely.

For example, I've seen some great HD football on ESPN. I've also seen some absolutely HORRIBLE HD football on ESPN. How would you rate that?

3. petergaryr

petergaryr Passed away April 24, 2010

Nov 22, 2006
    That would be a hard list to compile , and factoring in the previous poster's astute comment, here are my votes:

1. HDNet
    2. HDNet Movies
    3. National Geographic
    4. Discovery HD Theater
    5. Animal Planet (when actual HD)
    6. Food Network (when actual HD)
    7. Smithsonian (Great HD, little variety)

4. Steveknj

Steveknj Icon

Nov 14, 2006
    Locally here in NY, YES Network has some amazing HD Quality for their games. I'd also agree with the two HDNet channels and Discovery HD Theater.

5. Sirshagg

Sirshagg Hall Of Fame

Dec 29, 2006
    I've seen some movies on the Starz HD channels that looked amazing.

6. Bowtaz3

Bowtaz3 Legend

Sep 8, 2007
    Smithsonian is excellent imo

7. VAman

VAman AllStar

Jul 9, 2007

I agree, but I seldom watch it because of the lack of new programs. The first week I think I saw all that they had available and I don't think they've added anything new.

8. petergaryr

Nov 22, 2006
    I think I'll add it to my list. I agree completely. What they do have in HD is real good. There just isn't enough of it. Unless you are really into Pandas.

9. Webini

Webini Legend

Feb 3, 2007
    NESN has the best PQ I've seen.

10. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    MGM is also beautiful.

I can't endorse HDNet or HDNetMovies right now as they are in MPEG2. Maybe when they get moved. (Although HDNet sports looks pretty good)

And, MHD can look spectacular.

Actually, all the new channels look great when they have true HD programming.

11. n3ntj

n3ntj Hall Of Fame

Dec 18, 2006
    Lancaster,...
    Not in any particular order:

1. PBS OTA
    2. Discovery Channel
    3. Discovery HD Theater
    4. YES Network
    5. HD Net and HD Net Movies
    6. Smithsonian HD
    7. National GEO HD
    8. NESN
    9. WWOR (My9 NY) when they show a Yankees feed via MLB Extra Innings

Bad -
    All of our local (Harrisburg/Lancaster, PA) HD MPEG-4 channels via D* have video/audio issues from time to time, such as image retention and and quick 'flashing'.

12. petergaryr

Nov 22, 2006
    I'll agree with you on that....with one tag. After reading the comments concerning BSG Razor, I do wonder what the criteria for PQ are in some people's minds. Personally, I thought SciFi HD's PQ was great....in reproducing the documentary style, gritty cinematography. I get the impression that some people equate the ultra sharp look of "live" HD as the gold standard.

For me, PQ gets rated more along the lines of whether or not it is a distraction from the story. Blocking, motion blur, pixelation...whatever...that's a distraction. Don't get me wrong, I thoroughly enjoy an occasional "wow" moment....yet even that can be a distraction at times.

13. reds1963

reds1963 Godfather

Aug 28, 2007
    Columbus,Ohio
    some of the starz movies have looked good .....mgmhd i love this one
    i agree with above statements , some have been good and some ugly
    all on the same station ...

14. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD

No argument from me on that. I was in all the BSG threads saying that the video style was a choice not a problem. Even pointed out that the older parts of the story were less colorful and grainier. The stuff that was supposed to be "current" (in that it involved Lee and Starbuck) was sharper and more colorful. That itself told me that the PQ was a decision not an accident.

15. RichH25

RichH25 AllStar

Jun 16, 2007
    In my opinion, college football on Versus HD is at the top of my list. I am not a huge Pac 10 fan, but have watched several Pac-10 games on Vs. just because the PQ was so amazing. It blows away anything ABC, CBS or ESPN deliver in terms of PQ.

16. Juggernaut

Juggernaut AllStar

Apr 5, 2007
    All of the new MPEG-4 channels look great, I wish they'd switch the MPEG-2 HD over so we can enjoy better quality.

The MLB Playoffs on TBS was probably the best quality picture I've ever seen on my TV.

17. n3ntj

n3ntj Hall Of Fame

Dec 18, 2006
    Lancaster,...
    Yep.. I agree the majority of the TBS baseball playoff coverage was very good in HD. The problem is that since the playoffs are over, almost all I've seen on TBS and TNT is stretch-o-vision.

18. jefbal99

jefbal99 Hall Of Fame

Sep 7, 2007
    Big Ten Network HD has been excellent

19. Bowtaz3

Bowtaz3 Legend

Sep 8, 2007
    I agree there

20. techdimwit

techdimwit Legend

Sep 23, 2007
    I think Food Network HD (231-1) looks amazing, as well as Discovery, Smithsonian and History, when the programming is actual HD. I agree that the baseball playoffs on TBS looked extremely good. The local ABC station that I get OTA is also very good as well as the Fox OTA channel. What I'm really looking forward to is Speed when they go HD in Feb. Hopefully it won't be disappointing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.