1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What are your least favorite HR2x features?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Steve, Mar 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mar 3, 2008 #1 of 67
    Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    In this thread, johnck78 asked about your favorite HR2x features, and lots of great features were mentioned, including a few I loved. Here's a thread where you can list what things about the HR2x you feel could be improved-upon.

Please, let's try to be constructive in our suggestions and not turn this thread into a rant on DLBs or other "hot button" issues that already have threads devoted to them. TIA.

Here are some of my gripes, just to get the ball rolling:

I dislike not having an option to build the TODO list immediately after scheduling a SL or AUTORECORD, since it currently can take days before you see the full effect of your scheduling actions on the current GUIDE data.

I dislike PIG/PIL because it spoils shows for me and really would like an option to turn them off.

I am also annoyed by certain aspects of the UI:
    • When you select PRIORITIZER from a SL set-up screen, why do you land at the top of the PRIORITIZER and not on the show you want to move, which is at the bottom fo the list? And when you do select a show in the PRIORITIZER, why doesn't CHAN UP/DOWN allow you to move it one screen at a time?
    • When you return to the PLAYLIST, why aren't you always taken back to the last show you left?
    • Why isn't the playlist alpha sorted like SEARCH results, ignoring leading words like "A, AN, THE, MANUAL:, etc"?
    • When you MARK & DELETE, why aren't the show descriptions displayed when you're in the left check-box column ticking off those shows?
    • When you're reviewing TODO or HISTORY, why aren't the show descriptions displayed for highlighted episodes?
    • Why do all the on-screen graphics buttons (MENU, INFO, LIST, MINIGUIDE) act as on/off toggles, except GUIDE?
    /steve

2. Mar 3, 2008 #2 of 67
    Indiana627

Indiana627 Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2005
    In the Playlist, I wish shows within a folder could be sorted in date order while the main Playlist is sorted in alpha order. And the A, An and The should be removed from show titles.

3. Mar 3, 2008 #3 of 67
    Indiana627

Indiana627 Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2005
    I wish the show description would be listed on the to do list instead of having to hit Select on each show to get the description. The description works perfect when doing a search for a show, why the to do list work like that?

4. Mar 3, 2008 #4 of 67
    armophob

armophob Difficulty Concen........

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL
    Is To-Do a hotbutton?:lol:

5. Mar 3, 2008 #5 of 67
    btmoore

btmoore Hall Of Fame

Aug 28, 2006
    So little time and so may things to choose.

• SLB feature - aka No DLB, nothing more to say here that hasn’t been said
    • Guide - It need a TiVo style guide that you can set as your default guide. The standard guide makes more sense for non dvr type products, I want something that I can use quickly to see what is currently showing and then see the schedule lineup of that channel, the TiVo guide is close to idea for DVR use. I know you can use the guide and then move your cursor to the channel and hit info to get something that is TiVo like for the guide, but it is a PITA.
    • More guide - How about a HD guide, with more on it on one screen.
    • Code lack of system stability feature - The whole box need to be more robust, it has come a very very very long way from the total software POS code it was when it was released, but I just had 2HBOHD programs that recorded black. I happened to catch it at the half way point on the second show so I picked them up on the west feed. The recording were black screen, and while it was recording I changed to HBOHD and the screen was black, no 771 message just a black screen. luckily the other tuner was recording something else so I changed the channel that was recording HBOHD, stopped the recording and then changed back to HBO HD and everything was fine, I just have 2 black screen recordings. What the problem is or was I have no idea, apparently neither does the HR20.
    • Menus - Confusing menus with hidden features that seem to change from release to release. I forgot how to get to the mark and delete feature the other day, I spent 5 min playing with the remote until I finally remembered what to do.

I could go on and on ...

6. Mar 3, 2008 #6 of 67
    paulsown

paulsown Legend

Sep 18, 2007
    Stability and reliability when recording. Most other issues are minor annoyances.

7. Mar 3, 2008 #7 of 67
    dyker

dyker Legend

Feb 27, 2008
    I am frustrated that after watching a recorded show it immediately brings up whatever is on the tuner. Watch a nice soft quiet movie and say "delete" or "keep" and all the sudden something is on I didn't want to watch. It turns the feel of the unit into a regular receiver with recording capability instead of the PVR feel I was used to before I decided to go with these.

I was using ReplayTV Sage before this PVR. I am disappointed in the crappy quality of the layout of the guide and list. On the Sage I had an option to show how many rows of information I wanted to display on the screen and it displayed in 720p or 1080i. This guide looks like a character mode block terminal. Big and ugly.

While I'm on the subject of the guide, it doesn't give me any info to say if it is a new or repeat. Both the Replay and Sage gave me that info and a lot more.

The status bar that tells you how far along in the show you are in is disappointing. Besides 1/3 being a DirecTV advertisement (come on!) the rest just shows the minute your are on, and it doesn't really look slick. Maybe again, because Sage actually displayed 720p and also showed mm:ss where you are on the show.

The menus/interface is sluggish.

I can only have 50 shows in the prioritizer.

I can only forward reverse quickly to "tick" marks. On my old Replay I could press 12 Jump and go to the 12th minute of the show. I could press "3 Quickskip" and forward 3 minutes. I could press 5 Replay and go 5 minutes backwards. I'd like to see that here.

I'm struggling here to not rant about stability. But I will say this: If I have to bounce the unit every day or two due and wait 7-10 minutes for a reboot is unacceptable. The ReplayTV did a maintenance reboot during the evening once a week but I never knew it happened... it just worked. It would be nice to have the boot time improved. But it would be nicer (and more normal?) to never need to reboot.

8. Mar 3, 2008 #8 of 67
    Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I know this is a system-wide issue and not an HR2x one, but my top three annoyances are:

1.PRESS
    2.AND
    3.HOLD.

9. Mar 3, 2008 #9 of 67
    Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    Doh! I can't believe I neglected to mention that one as well, as it's one of my pet peeves also. Kudos for bringing it up. /steve

10. islesfan

islesfan Hall Of Fame

Oct 18, 2006
    Nevada
    The Channels I Get feature. Seriously. Why mess with success? Just allow us to manually turn off channels, and auto add them when a new channel appears. You know, like TiVo? It worked, and it didn't rely on a huge system that has to conform to all the receivers out there.

11. Indiana627

Indiana627 Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2005
    The 50 SL limit - I forgot about that. Either increase the limit to 75+ or remove the limit altogether.

12. mcbeevee

mcbeevee 97% Complete

Sep 18, 2006
    1- Easier way to access To Do (see avatar)

2- A small item I would like to see is the actual date & time of the recording displayed when you press Info while playing a recording. It shows the current date & time, but to see the recording date & time, you have to go back to the Playlist.

:)

13. houskamp

houskamp New Member

Sep 14, 2006
    One more for adding "manage recordings" to the yellow menu in "list"

14. coacho

coacho Legend

Aug 21, 2007
    Lack of DLB, getting used to the other nuances but not this one.

15. whitepelican

whitepelican Godfather

May 9, 2007
    - Only six rows in both the Guide and the List . How is it that they fit 9 rows in the VOD lists when it appears to have the same font sizes and just as much info? (Not to mention, why is half of the list screen used to show the channel name and "x new/y total"?)

- VOD programs don't group into folders

- lack of DLB

- Guide button doesn't toggle on/off the guide.

- It would be great to get an actual working "Channels I Receive".

16. SFNSXguy

SFNSXguy EOE DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2006
    Near San...
    Yeah, like I'm actually gonna list em here, right. The huge data load would just crash the DBSTalk server.... then everyone would be mad at me.

17. johnck78

johnck78 Godfather

Feb 18, 2007
    I only have a few:

1. Episodes within groups should be sorted by date. Without this why have group play? (I'm very surprised this has been an issue this long)

2. Push and hold - Kill it, get rid of it !

3. Picture In List (PIL) This probably should be #1. I like picture in list, just not all the time..... Especially during Football season. I like to start the game around 2 so I can skip the commercials. I sit down, hit list, turn the TV on and boom there is the score in the PIL. With my Tivo, I would hit Tivo Central, then turn the tv on, No Spoilers that way!

18. Radio Enginerd

Radio Enginerd New Member

Oct 5, 2006
    The limit of 50 SL's. I would love to see it double.

19. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    Another one I forgot to add to my list. /steve

20. raott

raott Hall Of Fame

Nov 23, 2005
    1 - DLBs
    2 - Press and Hold Anything (dumbest idea ever IMO)
    3 - 50 SL limit
    4- Channels I get (including in the VOD menu, which is currently completely useless and takes minutes of scrolling through movies I don't get)
    5 - Reliability - first off, its been reset three times this week - twice for the "stuttering" bug in the latest national release (mentioned in another thread) and once for some strange issue with the buffer where it would lock up if rewound; second is kids shows still do not reliably record

fix those (especially the first three) and I'd be pretty happy with it.

cadet502 reminded me of one - the KUID bug

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.