1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

What are your plans after price freeze expires?

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by karrank%, Oct 30, 2012.

1. karrank%

karrank% AllStar

Sep 20, 2009
    I'd make this a poll but lack the expertise.

Exit, stage left?

Endure the unendurable?

Switch "providers"?

If you have to ask for the price of the walletectomy you couldn't afford it

2. boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    If you are asking what to do when your 2 yr. contract is up you basically have 2 options. Pay the going rate or leave.

3. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Doctor Whom Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Same thing I always do... stay with Dish... sometimes I change my programming... but usually within a month or so DirecTV and Time Warner raise their prices too... so the choice of switching to save money is usually only a fleeting thing.

4. John79605

John79605 Legend

Feb 9, 2007
    Expecting a $5 increase, I'm considering dropping from AT200 to AT120 to save $15, but they've added a lot to AT200 in the last year or two, like Nat Geo and Science, and we like BBCA, so I'm torn. I need to drop Showtime to save $13, but I want to see Shameless and The Borgias. Decisions, decisions.

5. Orion9

Orion9 Legend

Jan 31, 2011
    Has anything specific been announced? I'm not aware of anything so I have no plans.

6. rajmarie

rajmarie Cool Member

Apr 3, 2012
    Why don't you call and ask if dish can offer you showtime for half off for 6 months offer?

7. Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
    +1 I learned my lesson with U-verse.

8. John79605

John79605 Legend

Feb 9, 2007
    That's a good idea.

9. Inkosaurus

Inkosaurus Icon

Jul 29, 2011
    Ill stay and pay my bill like a normal customer with no entitlement issues :p

10. domingos35

domingos35 Icon

Jan 11, 2006
    i'll stay
    dish has given me plenty of freebies

11. satcrazy

satcrazy Icon

Mar 15, 2011
    Great...
    If the increase is high, drop down a package.

Dish has been way more generous then DTV ever was when I was a sub there.

Hopefully it won't be much of a increase.:nono2:

12. 356B

356B Icon

Oct 11, 2008
    Northern...
    Me too...:)

13. MCHuf

MCHuf Legend

Oct 9, 2011
    Same here.

We currently have AT200 plus BB@H w/722K dvr and it is pretty near the perfect package for us. If it's too large of an increase, we'll drop down to AT120+. But at this point our local cable options aren't that appealing and D* gets pricey after the promos are finished. That's why we stayed on after the AMC channels were dropped.

14. knot

knot Mentor

Feb 4, 2010
    If it is a $5 increase I probably gonna cut the cord completely. It would not do us any good to drop down because the few channels we watch are in the at200. We will just go with the roku and OTA.

15. inazsully

inazsully Icon

Oct 3, 2006
    I've read guesstimates of a $10 increase for each package plus a $10 increase in monthly DVR fees. If this happens I can imagine plenty of subs jumping ship because of the new customer incentives offered by "D" and most cable companies. I can also guess that when you call "E" to cancel you will be offered a plethora of discounts and extra's to stay. After no price increases for 2 years and the $$$ Hit Charlie took in the courts I expect that he'll be making that up somewhere.

16. patmurphey

patmurphey Godfather

Dec 21, 2006
    Isn't this a silly topic when no one has any factual information?

17. david_jr

david_jr Godfather

Dec 10, 2006
    I believe a $10 increase for both packages and equipment would be suicide for DISH. I expect an increase, but not $20. I am already trying to figure out ways to make cuts to programming so I can afford to upgrade to Hopper/Joey system. A gigantic increase like that would force this 16 year customer to jump ship to D* or go OTA exclusive.

18. ehilbert1

ehilbert1 Godfather

Jan 22, 2007
    I think your right about that. A $20 increase would make a lot of people jump ship. I love my Hoppers but I would not stay if my bill went up $20 a month. I don't mind a little increase here and there. I think all of us are used to that but not a big $20 shot all at once.

19. Jim5506

Jim5506 Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2004
    I went from paying about $40 for HD Absolute 2 years ago to $85 currently, if it is more than $5 total increase, I'll seriously consider going OTA ONLY!

Somebody's got to send a message to these clowns that we will not take being soaked year after year.

I suggest we all drop Dish if it is a $10 increase and plan to come back in 90 days as new customers with all the goodies of the new customer discount.

It would be quite a shock for them to experience a huge subscriber drop immediately when the price increase occurs.

Only if we act in concert will they see we mean business.

20. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Doctor Whom Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Why even bother to get mad at someone's random rumors?

Hey, I imagined that Dish will drop prices $20 per month before raising them $10 so it will still be lower!

Yay!

Believe my random rumor :)

But seriously... this far out... people are probably just making stuff up to worry about. No need to worry until we get to February... then you can panic if you don't like the next increase.

Though, be aware... DirecTV and cable companies usually raise their rates 1-2 months out from there too... so don't go somewhere in a panic only to find they raised their rates too!