1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

What Cables?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by Hornnumb2, Dec 12, 2008.

1. Hornnumb2

Hornnumb2 Legend

Oct 4, 2006
    I am wall mounting a lcd for my mother and need to run cables for DVR and DVD player. She just has a R15 now but will call in to upgrade to a HR*. What do you recommend that would work now and with the new receiver? I was thinking of running component so it would work on both at this time? thanks for any suggestions. Michael

2. Mertzen

Mertzen Hall Of Fame

Dec 8, 2006
    I'd run two HDMIs, and two RCA's. Remember you can't run the TV's power cord inside the wall.

3. Hornnumb2

Hornnumb2 Legend

Oct 4, 2006
    I haven't seen the connections on the R15 now but I don't think it has HDMI so that would not work till she gets the new box. Right?

4. rhambling

rhambling Godfather

Dec 19, 2007
    yup

5. firefighter4evr

firefighter4evr Legend

Sep 17, 2008
    thats what the 2 RCA lines are for... one to the r15 and the other to the DVD

6. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    If you're wall-mounting a TV, my recommended MINIMUM is to run as many HDMI cables as the TV has HDMI inputs, plus at least one full set of component+audio, and one set of composite+audio, and a coax for OTA.

My *preference* is to run a set of cables for every input the TV has, plus one additional HDMI in case the TV is upgraded later.

Cables are CHEAP. Running cables can be difficult, sometimes very difficult. It is SO much easier to run everything you need from the beginning than to have to add additional cables later.

But most people don't listen. I did a TV hang for a woman who refused to authorize/pay for additional cables, even after a 20-minute explaination of why it was so important (in this case, 7 holes had to be opened on the wall, and studs notched out for the cables, due to the construction of the house; this required drywall repair/texture matching/paint matching). It would have cost her an extra $60 at the time.

Two months later, she paid me another $375 to add more cables, because her husband bought an XBox...