1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What can a properly dithered KAKU do?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by toofastgtp, Feb 2, 2011.

1. Feb 2, 2011 #1 of 16
    toofastgtp

toofastgtp Mentor

Nov 24, 2008
    How about not losing signal during the worst snow in recorded history in Tulsa in the middle of a blizzard.

In the middle of the blizzard my signals stayed strong in the high 80's (99/103) :D
    Not once did i even get a flicker on the screen
    Keep in mind your mileage may vary ;)

2. Feb 2, 2011 #2 of 16
    ben4715

ben4715 AllStar

Jan 19, 2010
    16 inches of snow where I'm at....no problem. I dither my dish about every six months.

3. Feb 2, 2011 #3 of 16
    tweaked

tweaked AllStar

Jul 1, 2008
    Congrat's on the Ka numbers and reception; dither, dither... dither. :)

4. Feb 3, 2011 #4 of 16
    matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    More like what can't it do!

Hey there fellow okie.

5. Feb 3, 2011 #5 of 16
    toofastgtp

toofastgtp Mentor

Nov 24, 2008
    Its yet to bring me a drink LOL

6. Feb 3, 2011 #6 of 16
    hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    Snow is never the big issue. Heavy rain is much worse for the signal than even the hardest snow.

7. Feb 3, 2011 #7 of 16
    Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2009
    Officially here 23.5" snow with 52 MPH wind gusts and not one outage.

A rare thunderstom will knock our signal out for a few minutes, the installer that did mine must have done a good job.

8. Feb 3, 2011 #8 of 16
    Newshawk

Newshawk Hall Of Fame

Sep 3, 2004
    Broken...
    Same here in Broken Arrow. I had more breakup on my OTA signal (with an indoor antenna) than I had on my satellite signal, and I live only a few miles from the main transmitter locations in Catoosa.

The best part? Watching a Cox cable commercial about losing satellite signal on my DirecTV system... :lol:

9. Feb 3, 2011 #9 of 16
    veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    I'm reading here more about weather conditions than dish alignment [really].
    Thunderstorms here cause very short loss of signal if at all.
    Snow, on the other hand, is so wet that it doesn't take much sticking to the dish/LNB to loss signal and require cleaning off.

10. Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson 6EQUJ5 WOW! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 24, 2007
    The only time I've had a problem with a snow storm is when it was wet and sticky and filled the dish.

I brushed it off and I was good to go.

We've been pummeled with snow this year and I haven’t lost signal (that I know of) yet...as mike crosses his fingers hoping it keeps working that way. :grin:

Mike

11. Newshawk

Newshawk Hall Of Fame

Sep 3, 2004
    Broken...
    Well, the OP did say his signals stayed high during the snowfall-I would have expected them to fall into the 70s at least. I did not check my signal strengths during the height of the snowfall. I was just enjoying having satellite. Also, this was a finer, drier snow that did not stick to the dish reflector. I do remember looking across the street at a neighbor that recently upgraded to HD and his dish was clear while we were getting 9 inches of blowing, drifting snow.

12. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    If you have satellite, your blood pressure just went up.

My parents had Cox for the longest time, and it went out all the time. They were right on the edge of reception I guess. They had to have a drop amp just to make the TVs watchable. D* sure looks good on them now!

13. johns70

johns70 Legend

May 2, 2010
    You can dither your dish all you want, but it won't make your dish perform any better in a snowstorm. Like other people have said snow is no big deal unless it's a heavy wet snowfall. I got 20 inches of the fluffy stuff in December and I never lost service.

14. Jodean

Jodean Icon

Jul 17, 2010
    we had some dishes fill with snow from the reflector all the way to the lnb, solid snow!! LOL

i have never seen such a thing, and this was a brand new dish that appears to be nonstick surface. But up here the skew is only 86

dishnet dishes on the other hand are skewed big time here so snow isnt an issue.

15. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    Yeah I saw one today with ice all in the LNB arm and icicles hanging out the bottom!

16. TBlazer07

TBlazer07 Grumpy Grampy

Feb 5, 2009
    Sounds like he had a dish heater. That's what mine does. All the freezing rain & snow melts off the dish and there are 12" icicles hanging off the bottom of the dish and under the LNB arm. But the dish stays clear.

We have our weekly ice, snow, sleet storm due tomorrow, maybe I can get a picture. :lol: