1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

what channels does FTA satellite offer

Discussion in 'FTA / Non Small Dish Satellite Area' started by jestwaitn, Aug 15, 2012.

1. jestwaitn

jestwaitn Cool Member

Aug 15, 2012
    hello,

this might be a common question to newbees here, but what do i get when switching from dishnetwork to FTA satellite?

i just want to watch the major networks in the u.s. and cnbc and anything else that is legal.

-jestwaitn

2. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    ABC, NBC, and CBS available in HD (all 4 times Zones)
    CW, MeTV, RTV available
    Fox available in SD only via station in Puerto Rico
    CNBC not available (scrambled)
    PBS, NASA HD, Al Jazeera English SD, Russia Today news SD (Ku band)
    There are others available as well.

You will need a 10' C/KU band dish/LNB and an HD receiver

3. jestwaitn

jestwaitn Cool Member

Aug 15, 2012
    ok. cnbc isn't available in the uk?

does the dish need to be motorized or stationery?

how much will this cost? ball park?

4. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Well, there is North America forum ... It would be more helpful for you to find European sat FTA forums.

5. PrinceLH

PrinceLH New Member

Feb 18, 2003
    I wonder if there's some new updated satellite channel maps out there. I see AMC9, at 83 degrees west, is not in the list of satellites available. Been looking around for a newer list, but the last one, for my Viewsat 9000, was published in 2009. Also, Lingsat is falling behind on upgrading their channel maps for North America, so their information is suspect.

6. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Just put up a 10'er and used Lyngsat. It was pretty accurate. Only a few subchannels they listed were actually not available. I think its about the most accurate listing available.

7. PrinceLH

PrinceLH New Member

Feb 18, 2003
    I'm really looking at just wanting to point at AMC9 at 83w, for their oldies programming, as is SES1, at 101w and the Anik satellite at 107w. They seem to be the best bets for in the clear programming.