1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What choices are available for DBS with HD DVR and HD OTA?

Discussion in 'General Satellite Discussion' started by MoWheels, Jan 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MoWheels

MoWheels New Member

Jan 20, 2008
    I have been mostly satisfied with my DirecTV service with HR10-250 HD DVR. I really like the OTA HD feature of this receiver as about half of my viewing is OTA. I have been blissfully unaware of all the changes in the DBS world until I decided to see what I needed to do to receive the new HD channels DTV is adding.
    DirecTV doesn't offer locals in my area, either SD or HD.
    What choice(s) do I have for a HD DVR for the new mpeg4 channels AND OTA HD recording? It's looking like Dish may be the only choice, but am I missing something?

2. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    The HR20 from DirecTV.
    The HR21 will soon have OTA support via the AM21

So if your HR10-250 is still running... and you can wait a few months (or less) for the release of the AM21... then the HR21/AM21 is the combination for you.

3. MoWheels

MoWheels New Member

Jan 20, 2008
    Wow, such a fast response - thanks Earl!
    I wasn't aware of the AM21. Is this an external device or internal to the HR21?
    Any "official" timeline for its availability?
    I need to do a lot of catch-up reading on this forum to learn what is the state of the industry now.

4. davemayo

davemayo Hall Of Fame

Nov 17, 2005
    It is an external USB solution.

See this thread for more info.

5. MoWheels

MoWheels New Member

Jan 20, 2008
    Thanks for the info.
    I spent some time yesterday evening reading up on things, trying to get up to speed on the current DBS scene.
    I've spent the last 18 months simply enjoying the home theater I built, with little regard to "what's new" in the satellite world. After I became aware that there were lots of new HD channels which I couldn't receive with my DTV HR10 DVR, I began trying to learn what I needed to do to get the new channels plus keep the OTA local HD DVR recording ability. A lot has changed in 18 months! Looks like I'll need a completely new setup for the HT room. Guess I could move the HR10 DVR to another room with SD TV set.
    Before I learned of the the AM21, I was assuming I'd have to switch to DISH to get the OTA locals with a DVR. Now it looks like I'll just have to wait a few weeks and go with a new dish and the HR21/AM21 combo.
    Thanks for the tips, folks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.