1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What dish do I need?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by Sunapee, Apr 9, 2009.

1. Sunapee

Sunapee Cool Member

Aug 14, 2006
    I am looking for information about what dish I need to add a HD DVR to my current setup.

My current system has 3 TiVo RCA-80 receivers, each using 2 inputs from a 2x8 splitter. I do not want to give up using these receivers.

I have been trying to add HD for several years, but I cannot get a line of sight to satellite 119. After being asked by DirectTV to clear about 20 trees to get a LOS (which I did) last fall I was then told that they still cannot get to it and that I should give up.

The installer I spoke with last told me that there is a new dish that can get HD from the higher satellites, but he did not know any details.

I spoke with DTV about dish options and they said I was limited if I went thru them. They offered me a credit up to $300 if I bought a different dish and had it installed. Then it started snowing and I put things on hold for the winter (again...).

I believe that he was talking about Slim Line series (AU9-SL3 ??). My questions are:
    1) If I can get LOS for my existing receivers, does that mean I can see all 3 satellites for this dish?
    2) Will it work with my existing receivers, or do I need to keep my existing dish and add a second one?
    3) What other questions should I be asking?

Any input would be appreciated!

2. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    If you get a good signal on 101 (which your present receivers use) there is a very good possibility that you will also be able to receive 99 and 103 (used for HD). Look along the direction the dish is pointed, but about 20-25 degrees higher and see if it is clear a bit to both the left and right. If so, you should be in good shape.

3. Mertzen

Mertzen Hall Of Fame

Dec 8, 2006
    You can indeed use the SLimline3 dish which will also work fine with your old IRDs.

4. MrShowtime

MrShowtime Legend

Apr 8, 2009
    I believe that he was talking about Slim Line series (AU9-SL3 ??). My questions are:

1) If I can get LOS for my existing receivers, does that mean I can see all 3 satellites for this dish?
    Most likely yes. I've only come across one job where a customer had a 18" dish and was hitting the 101 and couldnt hit the 99 and 103.

2) Will it work with my existing receivers, or do I need to keep my existing dish and add a second one?
    Yes, You will need to have the 2X8 replaced by a 6X8 (4 lines come off the SL3 dish)

edit: They asked you to clear trees? As far as our office is concerned we aren't allowed to tell a customer to cut down any tress under any circumstances. They had a tech tell a guy to get a few trees before and he did and it didnt work, so the company had to pay him out like $350 for the tree topping he had done.

5. Sunapee

Sunapee Cool Member

Aug 14, 2006
    Thanks for the quick answers!

Actually, the installer came in the morning and said I needed trees removed and that he would come back that afternoon after they were down. When he came back, he said I needed more trees down and they sent another technition a few days later. He's the one that said tree removal would not help and suggested researching the new dish.

I am not seeing the SL3 on DTV's site. Is it available from DTV, or do I need to order it elsewhere?

6. Sunapee

Sunapee Cool Member

Aug 14, 2006
    Looking at the SL3 options I have another question. I am seeing SL3 and SL3-SWM. Are they the same thing?

7. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    NO, they are NOT the same thing. You do NOT want the SWM version, as your older receivers will not work with it.

The SL3 will have four coax outputs. You need to upgrade your multiswitch to a Zinwell WB68, run al four coax from dish to multiswitch inputs, then feed all of your equipment off the outputs. If you end up with more than 8 tuners, then run your old multiswitch in parallel with the WB68 and feed your older receivers off the old multiswitch.

The SWM LNB only has one ouptut and is not backward compatible to older receivers/DVRs.

8. Sunapee

Sunapee Cool Member

Aug 14, 2006
    Thanks! I think I'm all set now.