1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

What do I need for tailgating?

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by tndish, Aug 13, 2012.

1. tndish

tndish New Member

Aug 13, 2012
    I want to rig something up to watch football this fall during tailgating and camping trips. What all do I need to get a HD signal?

I was told an eastern arc 1000.2 and a VIP 211K? I live in Tennessee. What should I mount the dish to?

I have a Hopper at home and was told not to use that.

Thanks guys!!

2. boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    First question is what is your DMA for local channels?
    Where are you going to be tailgating and camping?
    Do you have a RV to set up a RV account?

3. tndish

tndish New Member

Aug 13, 2012
    What do you mean DMA?

Mostly in Eastern TN, North GA, and NC.

I do not currently have an rv. Looking at getting one next yeat. I was informed that I could add the box to me account for an addtional $7 a month.

4. garys

garys Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2005
    The 211 can be added to an account that has a Hopper, but only as an RV'er.

5. tndish

tndish New Member

Aug 13, 2012
    Does that mean I have to have another plan or is just $7 a month?

6. DoyleS

DoyleS Icon

Oct 21, 2002
    El Dorado...
    I didn't realize that.
    Does that mean that if you have a Hopper Joey setup, you cannot have any other receivers other than Hoppers and Joeys?
    I don't have a Hopper setup but have purchased 2 of my other receivers so going Hopper would mean selling those units.

7. garys

garys Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2005
    Yes, with H/J only other receiver is a 211 to use for RV. You can have other receivers, but it would need to be another account. Not totally sure if you would need another dish setup for it to work, but my brother has Hopper/Joey (upstairs), my mother (downstairs at same location) has a 622 and the installer put up a second dish for my brother even though a lot of wires were run as my brother had Dish upstairs at one point.

8. bigglebowski

bigglebowski Legend

Jul 27, 2010
    You did not say what channels you were wanting to watch but keep in mind that if you are only looking for local channels dont forget how simple it will be to just hook up a small antenna or even rabbit ears and get a local feed depending on where you are. Dont go through all the hassle of dish and rx just to watch local CBS, not to mention free.

9. klang

klang Hall Of Fame

Oct 14, 2003
    Near...
    I'm surprised no one has linked to the tailgater. I have no personal experience with this.

10. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    To be a tailgater [or gator], you need a large vehicle, and a wanton disregard for safety, especially at 75 mph on highways, or even freeways. Minimum separation, ten feet.

Oh, wait, you're talking about a different sort of tailgating! For that you need a large hamper, a portable cooker, a large supply of beverages, and

Oh, well, another time, then...

:D

ps No disrespect intended to the question or any answer. Just trying for a smile, and the first type of tailgating is on my mind.

11. davejacobson

davejacobson Legend

Mar 14, 2005
    you need a 211k reciever and a tailgater dish.It doesn't matter if you have a hopper joey setup. They let you have a 211k now for RV use. If you drive more than a 100miles or so you might loose your locals in the spot beam. Contact DIRT member on this site they will help you out with the equipment.