1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What do I need? HD-DVR and Whole House DVR

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by richart53, Jul 30, 2011.

1. richart53

richart53 Cool Member

Apr 12, 2010
    Can someone help me out with what is needed and about what it is going to cost before I spend time on the phone with Directv? I have been a subscriber for just over a year.

Currently I have 1 HD-DVR, 1 HD receiver and 2 SD receivers. The HD-DVR is connected to my home network with an ethernet cable but none of the other receivers are connected.

I would like to replace one of the SD receivers with an HD-DVR and have be able to watch recorded shows from any of the HD capable receivers.

What is it that I need and what is it going to cost me both for installation and for additional monthly fees?

Thanks for you help!

2. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    What models are the HD receiver and the SD receivers? How many cables are coming out of your dish, or if you go into your setup, do you have SWM?

3. richart53

richart53 Cool Member

Apr 12, 2010
    I have the following receivers:
    HR23-700
    H21-200
    D12-100
    D12-100
    It is a single dish with a single coax cable that goes to some type of box that looks sort of like a splitter. From there it uses my existing coaxial cable to each receiver. There is some type of power injector connected inside next to the HR23-700 receiver.

4. houskamp

houskamp New Member

Sep 14, 2006
    1. you only have 2 recievers that will work..
    2. a deca will be needed at each reciever..
    problably better to just call directv.. they may even upgrade your 2 D12s for free..

5. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    You already have a SWM install so they won't need to change out your dish or any of your wiring. Your HR23 and H21 will work with DECA adapters attached to them. DirecTV will replace one of your D12s with an new HD-DVR and DECA if needed. You other D12 will remain hooked up but won't be able to access the recordings from your other HD-DVRs, the H21 will be able to watch the recordings.

So it sounds like you will need
    HR2x HD-DVR
    2 DECA adapters
    Band Stop filter for the D12
    Broadband DECA adapter (assuming you still want access to Apps and On-Demand)
    Possibly a new green labeled splitter and band stop filter for the LNB

This theoretically could cost you up to $450 ($200 for HD-DVR, $200 for Whole Home, $50 for install). Most likely you should be able to get a better deal on that though, especially considering you will have to agree to another 2 years of service because you are adding a new HD-DVR.

All we can say is call and find out what kind of deal they will give you.