1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

What do I need to connect, confused

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by tsbrady1, May 17, 2010.

1. tsbrady1

tsbrady1 Legend

Jan 6, 2006
    I just called D* to get set up for MRV or connected home or whatever they call it, I have 2) HR20-700s & a H20-100, I assume these are compatible, I also have an AT9 dish which I assume is not compatible, none of them are interconnected on a network nor am I connected to the internet. The tech service guy at D* says I cannot get connected (to MRV) until at least 1 of the DVRs is connect to a router through a computer to the internet (I have a home system but it is 2 stories away from the DVRs) is this true? Also the tech was unclear whether the connection from the router to the HR20 should be cat 5 or Coax with DECA connections. If I have to connect with cat 5 or coax anybody from the Atlanta area have any idea who may be able to do this in the northern Gwinnett Co area? Thanks for your indulgance, I am sure this has been asked more than once!

2. Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson 6EQUJ5 WOW! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 24, 2007
    Technically they don't need to be connected to an Ethernet network at all to have MRV. However, that would require SWiM and DECA adapters for your existing receivers. That would connect them to each other for MRV, but not for DirecTV On Demand, Media Share, etc.

With that said, I'm actually unclear what the exact requirements are by DirecTV. It could be they want internet access.

Mike

3. HDJulie

HDJulie Icon DBSTalk Club

Aug 10, 2008
    Mine doesn't have internet access. I have internet at home but it is over satellite which is too slow & too restrictive for me to be able to take advantage of any of the things that D* offers over the internet.

Incidentally, your H20 is not compatible & would have to be swapped out. Since you don't have internet at home, you'll need the DECA upgrade. Call back & talk to another CSR. You should get better information the second time.

4. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears DBSTalk Club

Mar 18, 2008
    They'll swap your H20 and they'll change you to a SWM LNB

5. tsbrady1

tsbrady1 Legend

Jan 6, 2006
    FWIW I do have internet at home, it's jsut not connected to any of the HR20-700s, it appears that I don't need an internet conn but the guy at D* said I did

BTW... thanks for your replies!

6. mmmason23

mmmason23 AllStar

Apr 26, 2010
    I called to get set up and the car I talked to said I needed Internet. I don't have any Internet. Is this correct? Do I need Internet to get mrv?