1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What do I need to look out for in a new installation?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by Bigoober, Sep 20, 2010.

1. Bigoober

Bigoober New Member

Sep 20, 2010
    A newbie here who was going to call and set up new service this week fat, dumb, and happy! That was until I poked through this forum over the last couple of days.

I figured my only worry was going to be trying to get the wires hidden as much as possible. Now, it seems I have to wonder which boxes I would receive amongst numerous other items.

I plan on establishing service with the Premier plan, 2 HD DVRs, 1 HD receiver, whole home dvr and internet connection kit.

What items do I need to be aware of? Do I have any control over it if I am ordering this via the internet?

All help is appreciated. Thanks.

2. mcbeevee

mcbeevee 97% Complete

Sep 18, 2006
  3. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    That thread is a bit old...

With your install, you will get a SWiM install. What this means is that you will have one cable run to each receiver. The cable runs will need to come from one location. If your house is already pre-wired, as long as the cable to each room is a home run (goes straight from a central location direct to the room with no splits), the installer should be able to use that.

As you are a new install, you will most likely (but not a 100% certainty) get HR24's and a H24. In this case, the installer will just plug the coax into the receiver and they will communicate with each other (Multi-Room Viewing). If you don't get a HR24 or H24, the receivers will also have a DECA unit connected to them. With the Internet Connection Kit, a coax cable will be run (or split) near your router/ethernet cable and a DECA and Power Inserter will be connected to bridge the receivers to your home network/Internet.

HTH,
    Merg

Oh, and :welcome_s to DBSTalk.

4. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    If you want H24/HR24s, your best bet is to sign up with a local (or online) retailer.

5. Bigoober

Bigoober New Member

Sep 20, 2010
    mcbeevee, thanks for the link but as said in another post, the info is a little dated.

Merg, great info for someone who hasn't dealt with DirecTV since buying my own receiver, dish, etc. (didn't take it with me when I moved in 2004 so a lot has changed).

I am very sure that my "new" home is home run. Does this mean that there will be one cable from the dish to the central location or will their be multiple? I am just trying to avoid the cosmetic nightmare of cables hanging everywhere.

For the ICK, does my router need to be located near one of my receivers to work? I am planning on having my cable internet modem located in an entirely different room.

BattleZone, are you talking about something like Best Buy for a local retailer or a smaller independent retailer? I will look around on the net. I didn't know that there were smaller retailers anymore as the local Best Buy doesn't really have any displays left anymore.

Again, guys thanks for your help. This forum has given me some "knowledge" on what items to try to look for.

6. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    With your setup, you will have one cable from the dish to the "home run" area where they will put a splitter to connect to all of your "home runs". As for the ICK, they can either run a coax to a location near your router, which means that they would need to run a second line to that spot, or if you have a ethernet cable that is run near one of your receivers they can split one of the runs to the receiver to also hook up the ICK.

- Merg

7. Bigoober

Bigoober New Member

Sep 20, 2010
    Thanks again, Merg. That makes sense.

8. coolman302003

coolman302003 2014 NBA CHAMPIONS!

Jun 2, 2008
    Southeast
    Bigoober,

This thread should help you :) http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=183060
    See posts #'s 3 & 12

9. NickIndy

NickIndy AllStar

Feb 19, 2008
    Is it possible to tell DirecTV when you order that you want a HR24 and if the installer comes with anything else that you'll refuse the install? Do they work with you on stuff like that?

10. grecorj

grecorj Legend

Jan 20, 2008
    DirecTV customer reps can't guarantee what specific models you'll get.

If the installer shows up with something you don't want, you could send them away and reschedule. But the installer can't promise you anything either.

11. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    You *can*. You will waste your time, the installer's time, the installer's money, and screw up his stats. And, if you do this more than once, DirecTV may cancel your account altogether.

So, if you want specific equipment, order through a retailer.

12. hombresoto

hombresoto Legend

Sep 10, 2006
    If a customer ever did that to me it would be the last time I ever went to their house for anything. They would get real familiar with the word "reschedule".

13. NickIndy

NickIndy AllStar

Feb 19, 2008
    Is there a trick to getting Solid Signal to call me back? 1 email and 2 voicemails and nothing returned...

14. Bigoober

Bigoober New Member

Sep 20, 2010
    Coolman, thanks for the link. Sounds like a good way to go. I will be emailing them soon.

Cheers.

15. NickIndy

NickIndy AllStar

Feb 19, 2008
    Ok...so I know that I've set myself up for failure, but this is the story I got. I tried to order the HR24 from SolidSignal but because I was a previous customer they couldn't help me. So I called Directv and said I wanted to come back to them but I only wanted to come back if I could get the HR24 and H24. The rep put me on hold a minute and came back and told me that I could only get the HR24 anyway because the Whole Home DVR was only compatible with the HR24. Now I know that's not right and i tried to challenger her on it, but she insisted. I even told her to put it on the work order that the HR24 is what I wanted and to reschedule the appointment if it was unavailable. We'll see...they are coming Saturday. Any chance I'll actually get the 24 series? I'm completely expecting them to show up and not have any. Hopefully they call ahead so I can ask and save them a trip if not.

16. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    DirecTV is trying to do new installs with MRV with the HR24/H24's. One thing you can do is to contact the installer prior to your install date and let them know that you want HR24/H24's.

- Merg

17. NickIndy

NickIndy AllStar

Feb 19, 2008
    How do you know who the installer is? They didn't tell me who would be doing it.