1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What do you do when D* never sends you a RTM box?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by RobertSeattle, Nov 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RobertSeattle

RobertSeattle Legend

Aug 27, 2006
    I had a busted HR20 two months ago. Installer came out, replaced, and told me that D* would be sending me a box to send it back. The box hasn't came. The bad unit is in my storage room. And I haven't been billed either. I'm assuming Murphy will kick in if I put I throw the thing out - the next day D* will send me a box...

But do I want to spend 30 minutes of my life trying to explain to a D* rep that I need a send back box sent to me?

2. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Yes, call them or you'll be face $300+ fee. Calculate your risk.

3. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I agree with Mr. Smith. It's possible the box or paperwork was lost.

4. Blitz68

Blitz68 Hall Of Fame

Apr 19, 2006
    I agree.

I had one of my HR10-250's replaced with another HR20-700.

They told me a box was on the way and so I waited and waited. Next thing I know is there was a $470 charge on my bill.

Keep calling them until you get it.

5. Thaedron

Thaedron Hall Of Fame

Jun 29, 2007
    A slightly better option than calling, would be to spend 10 minutes to write a short letter and drop it in the mail to D*. With a phone call, you're at the mercy of D* to make sure they properly capture everything and take action. With a letter, they still need to do their thing, but you have a written record of your request.

Also, the time it takes to write the letter and get a stamp on the envelope might be less time than you spend on hold and/or dicussing the topic with the CSR. :eek2:

And if you don't get a response, simply drop a second letter in the mail a month later (this time should only take a minute). If they ever charge you, offer to send them new copies of your letter, explain that the charge needs to be removed immediately and a return box sent. They shouldn't hold your money hostage because they screwed up.

6. VAman

VAman AllStar

Jul 9, 2007
    Took me three phone calls over a three week period, but they finally sent me the box to return my old H20. Very easy to pack up the old unit and call Fedex, it's all prepaid, very quick and easy.

7. RobertSeattle

RobertSeattle Legend

Aug 27, 2006
    Just as a follow up. I contacted D* via the web based support scheme and they sent me.... TWO Boxes. Oy!

Now I have a backup the next time they forget to send me a RTM box.

8. Dec 3, 2007 #8 of 13
    gblues

gblues AllStar

Dec 8, 2005
    Robert,

That is potentially a problem. If you got two boxes, that means there are two RMAs out for your 1 receiver. When you return the receiver, the duplicate RMA won't be cancelled and you'll get charged.

Open the 'return documents enclosed' envelope from the box you won't be using and write down the fedex tracking #. Call customer service and have them look up and cancel the RMA associated w/ that tracking #.

9. Dec 3, 2007 #9 of 13
    Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo Lifetime Achiever

Oct 20, 2006
    I don't know what the problem has been with DirecTV sending recovery kits lately.

I turned an H20 off about 5+ weeks ago and the first CSR said 3 to 5 days. I waited and week and a half and nothing. So I called again and that CSR said he does not know why the first CSR said that because it takes a week to process and another week to be shipped to me. Well it has been almost 4 weeks now and still nothing.

Also he said he didn't even see anything about the first one be requested by the first CSR so he set me up for another one.

So I will be calling again later today.

10. sNEIRBO

sNEIRBO Icon

Jul 23, 2006
    I turned an STB off on 10/28. My November bill showed a charge of $200 for equipment that was not returned. I called in to ask what the charge was for and that's when they sent out the box. I asked that the charge be taken off my bill but they wouldn't do it - even though it was their fault they didn't send out the box. 2 days to receive the return box. 3 days in transit back to them. The shipment was delivered last Tuesday, but the charge is still not off of my account. They claim it will take 7 - 10 days for the return to clear their system.

When you do get the box and send the equipment back - make sure you keep a copy of the return label. With that, you can go online at FedEX to track and make sure DirecTV received the equipment. Once you see that they have received it, then print out the tracking info for your records. That is the only way you can prove they received the equipment.

11. o7RAVENS

o7RAVENS Mentor

Oct 28, 2007
    Baltimore Md.
    I would forget calling D*, go to their web site and send an email, I had the very same problem and they fixed it within the hour.

12. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    An excellent post, and an excellent suggestion!

13. LlamaLarry

LlamaLarry Legend

Apr 21, 2007
    Northern VA
    Do the RTM boxes show up as a Pending Order on the website?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.