1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Do You Get When You Call Dish?

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by Skeeterman, Jan 15, 2012.

1. Skeeterman

Skeeterman Legend

Jun 24, 2003
    There is an ongoing discussion in this forum on Dish 508 receiver fees. To get a more accurate up to date info. I called Dish. What are the chances you will get a CSR that can speak english....the old American way, and one that has some knowledge on what it's about in the workings....receivers, fees, and other important matters? The chances are about 12%. This evening I got a CSR that lowered the percentage to 1%.

When the CSR answered the phone she ask for my phone number...I gave it to her, and her reply were..."sir that isn't the phone number on the account."
    She ask for my account number...I gave it to her ...right from a D/N invoice. Her reply.."sir, that isn't a Dish Network account number." My reply... "madam, I've had this account since April 1999, and due to the fact I've paid many "green backs" and watch many a Dish Network TV program, and Dish has excepted my money, I'm sure there's a mistake on your part."

The last time I called Dish was back in October 2011 when I wanted to install a Dish 500 on the garage and connect my PVR 508. All was correct at that time on account number, phone number, and all profile information. I must now call Dish and speak to a person that can get all this back to where it was weeks ago.

2. Skeeterman

Skeeterman Legend

Jun 24, 2003
    What I wanted to call Dish about, was my PVR 508 receiver that I have in the garage and when was Dish going to replace it. If so, I was going to buy a DP 301 with a purple smart card off ebay so I could cut/drop the $6.00 month fee that Dish now charges for the 508.

I'll ask the question here that I intended to ask the CSR. If I buy a DP301 with the purple smart card and the seller claims has no -late fees , etc. Will I be able to activate the 301 with the purple card?

3. Galaxie6411

Galaxie6411 Icon

Aug 26, 2007
    Dish is actually the one company I have never spoken to a non American when calling customer service. Been a few years since I have had to call them but I always remember being pleasantly surprised that there wasn't going to be a language barrier with them at least.

4. RaymondG@DISH Network

RaymondG@DISH Network New Member

Jul 21, 2011
    You would actually want to purchase a 311 receiver. The 508, and 301 model receivers are obsolete and are being phased out. If the 508 is the only DVR receiver you have on the account, the $6 DVR service fee will be removed when the 508 is deactivated. Make sure that when you buy equipment from a private seller that you check the receiver number first. If there is a balance on the account that the receiver was on previously you will not be able to activate it unless the balance was paid. If you have any questions feel free to send me a PM.

5. Skeeterman

Skeeterman Legend

Jun 24, 2003
    Way to go, Raymond. Thanks for the reply. 311 receiver it will be. However, I have a question or two. Should I buy a 311 receiver and the seller says the receiver has a G3 purple smart card, and I have the CAID number and no charges apply to the unit, will Dish activate the unit to my account? Also, will there be any fees, etc that apply at time of activation?

6. tampa8

tampa8 Godfather/Supporter

Mar 30, 2002
    Aside from a pre-judgment that no one without a perfect English accent will be able to help you, my real question is, why are you calling Dish if you know they won't be able to answer your question? Why not just contact a CSR member here to begin with?

7. RaymondG@DISH Network

Jul 21, 2011
    As long as the receiver is not linked to an account with a balance it can be activated on your account. Activating the receiver on the account will only add a prorated fee for the remainder of the billing period. If you send me a PM with your phone or account number I will be able to give you more specific information. Thanks!

8. Skeeterman

Skeeterman Legend

Jun 24, 2003
    Raymond, your reply does not simplify my question. You know this 311 receiver is not a activated receiver. However, it is still linked to the account, and the account will "always" have a balance. All due to the fact even if the seller pays his monthly bill on time, there will be a balance due for the next month.

Also, you mentioned a prorated fee. Would that be a standard receiver fee, such as the fee on a DVR?

9. boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    When you find a receiver that you are interested in get the R00# and call DISH or a DIRT member to verify that the receiver can be activated on your account. They will need to check if it is owned or leased, leased can't be activated. Active accounts are assumed to be current for balances, closed accounts should not have any balances, overdue/late accounts would have balances that prevent transfer of receivers.

If really worried buy or lease the receiver directly from DISH you know theirs are clear.:):):)

10. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    DIRT members - when will we need to worry about replacing our 311 receivers ?

If the answer is "Not anytime soon" - that's a good answer in my opinion ..

Thanks

11. Jim5506

Jim5506 Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2004
    I would replace a 508 with a ViP211 and add the external hard drive for a ONE TIME $40 fee and have an HD DVR with no DVR fee and for the same receiver fee ($7) as the 508/512.

12. RaymondG@DISH Network

Jul 21, 2011
    This would depend on whether or not the receiver is on an active account. To give you specific answers on this I would need the receiver CAID so that I can review the account it is linked to. Receiver fees vary depending on the receiver. The receiver will need to be a purchased receiver as leased equipment can not be transferred without being sent back to us.

The receiver fees I listed below are for SD and HD receivers. Keep in mind that if you have a DVR active on your account there is a $6 DVR service fee. This is an account level fee that covers all DVRs that are active on on account.

Solo non DVR receiver $7 per month
    Duo non DVR receiver $14 per month
    Solo DVR receiver $10 per month
    Duo DVR receiver $17 per month

13. RaymondG@DISH Network

Jul 21, 2011
    You won't have to worry about replacing the 311 receivers anytime soon.

14. Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
    I think you should upgrade to HD and get a 722 or 922. Just my opinion.

15. Skeeterman

Skeeterman Legend

Jun 24, 2003
    Paul, I'm not into DVR programming...yet. I don't have the desire to tape movies, etc.. to view later. I have a VIP211K coaxed to a Samsung HDTV in the den, and a VIP211 to a Vizio HDTV in the family room. The PVR 508 was connected to a analog tv in the shop/garage until Monday 16th when I called Dish to have it de-activated. I was paying $6.00 a month for the time it was activated. Too cold to watch tv in the shop. My dog is going to miss his Rin Tin Tin and Lassie shows, but he will forget about that in a few days.

Here is something strange, although the 508 has been de-activated....I hope it has. There are many shows/programming that I can still watch that should have disappeared...such as CNN, ESPN, and a number of other main channels.
    But, I'm not calling Dish to complain, I'll let them send me the "freebies" for the time being.

16. BillRadio

BillRadio Legend

Aug 5, 2004
    Prior to 2011 I was always pleasantly surprised to get US-based customer service with Dish (although not always without an accent). While it now appears that the first line of agents you speak with are in the Phillipines, the agent you ultimately speak with is still US-based.

Initially, I actually hung up I was so disgusted at the lack of English-speaking abilities of the first agents, but with patience, it appears that their primary function is to check your details and route you to the proper department.

My receptionists were never hired for their technical skills, only for their speaking voice and acceptable appearance. It's OK that Dish has hiired their 'receptionists' for their ability to work cheap.

17. cj9788

cj9788 Hall Of Fame

May 14, 2003
    when i call dish the automated system says i see your calling from 305-324-8811 is that the phone number associated with your dish network account? When i say yes it hold on while i look that up, then it says something like hey you are a valued customer thanks. i then (for whatever I am calling about) ask for technical support. Seems all the tech calls go to a US call center and the folks there can help you with just about everything.

When I worked in a IRS service center there was a fellow employee who was Indian, real thick accent and he was always having to tell people who called him "No I am in the United States" He would get pissed and we would laugh.

18. Inkosaurus

Inkosaurus Icon

Jul 29, 2011

The only reason you would end up speaking to "the receptionists" is if your trying to access sales or the automated system cant find your account.
    Other wise tech support/customer support (they end up in the same department anyway) should for the most part always take you straight to a CSR, which in most cases is US based.
    You could get a non us based call site during the day but its fairly rare, it happens more at night though :p

19. jadebox

jadebox Godfather

Dec 13, 2004
    Even when I've been connected to what was obviously an off-shore call center, the help I've gotten has been exactly what I needed. But, I usually use the Chat feature through the web site. It's usually quicker and easier.

-- Roger

20. Hooterville

Hooterville AllStar

Jul 11, 2010
    When I called Dish they wanted my Social Security number, date of birth, credit card number, Mothers maiden name, Drivers License number and two pints of fresh blood. I told them No Thank You, I'll stick with DirecTV :D