1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Do you Like Better

Discussion in 'Archive' started by pez2002, Dec 20, 2002.

What System Do you Like Better

1. Directv

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Dish Network

19 vote(s)
    24.7%
  3. Cable

57 vote(s)
    74.0%
  4. Regular Tv

1 vote(s)
    1.3%
  1. pez2002

pez2002 Hall Of Fame

Dec 13, 2002
    Directv
    Dish Network

2. John Corn

John Corn Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    Hi pez, honestly I've never had DirecTV, so I honestly can't make a comparison with regards to it. My brother has had DirecTV for years and loves it. :)

3. George_F

George_F Legend

Dec 25, 2002
    Personally for me I like Dish Network better, based on their programming suits my needs.

4. Jacob S

Jacob S Hall Of Fame

Apr 14, 2002
    I like Dish better because of the superstations and package arrangement.

5. bunkers

bunkers Legend

Dec 16, 2002
    My mother in law has DirecTV and TIVO (directivo) and I find both of DirecTV guides to be MUCH SLOWER and less organized -- I like the way the dish channels are grouped together a little better.

I think for most folks, DISH gives a more simple, nicer looking product. The TIVO can do some thing the DISH PVR(s) cannot, but I think that most people would be thrilled with the PVR products from either company.

Personally, I like the simple ways of DISH better and think they address the 90/10 rule very well -- this do 80 to 90% very well and 10 to 20% not quite as well. Both satellite companied blow away the traditional cable and are priced better than the digital cable and offer more channels.

I have heard some say this (and I agree) -- If your a sports buff and need the biggest variety of sports programming, go with DirecTv, otherwise go with Dish.

I have been happy since switching to DISH from cable and can't ever see going back!

6. Karl Foster

Karl Foster Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    I have had both, and both blow cable out of the water here. I switched from Dish to Directv for a reliable PVR (Dish has improved much since then).

There are things that Directv does better than Dish and vice versa. I like the idea of having different vendors making equipment. While Dish has kept everything in-house making production easier to control, there are fewer models available for the consumer. Items such as Dolby Digital output, component video output, etc. are simply not available unless a PVR or HD tuner are purchased. A cheap Samsung receiver used for Directv has both of these things available.

IMHO, the PVR market is getting close, but Directv still has the edge with their flawless PVRs. A PVR that costs $199 and always works with a $4.99 or $9.95 monthly fee is superior to a $500 PVR that doesn't do everything it is advertised to do. Keeping my kids from R rated shows and other inappropirate material is worth a little extra each month. That is a MAJOR guffaw on the 721 IMHO. Having a PVR that works and the wife doesn't complain about is worth a little extra each month. YMMV.

I also appreciate the way Directv keeps their dirty laundry private. While that may sound odd, there have been no threads about Directv possibly losing TNT, NESN, ESPN Classic, ABC Family, etc. While this helps feed Charlie's ego that he controls the universe, it doesn't instill confidence in the consumers. Just provide the service and keep in-house matters in-house until final decisions have been made.

My main gripe about Dish Network here in Salt Lake are the independent retailers that canvass our neighborhoods selling systems door-to-door. They are unknowledgeable schmucks who sell systems to people like my in-laws and forget to mention that they will need two dishes on their roof to receive all the locals.

I know Dish Network subscribers are vocal, and defensive and outnumber us Directv subcribers about 10 to 1 on this forum and I commend you all for your loyalty. Dish has been able to instill loyalty in their subscribers and that is important.

Like I said before, both are superior to AT&T cable here in my city and the DBS penetration rate is high. A person can't really go wrong with either service.

7. Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    We choose E* over D* for one reason. My mom's coworkers boyfriend was an E* retailer in the Rochester area, came to the Buffalo area on a business trip and gave us a nice discount if we agreed to have him install the system ASAP. Originally two 2700s and a Dual LNB 18" dish looking at 119 with AT100 for $28.99/month. Now with a 508 and upgraded 2700/2800, 2 dishes looking at 110,119 and 61.5, SW64 and AT150+Supers/locals combo.

We never really looked into D* because my mom didn't want to pay two companies for satellite TV (This is going way way back when the USSB had more then just TW and Viacom owned premiums) and we looked into P* once upon a time, but my mom didn't like the idea of leasing hardware. When I first got really into DBS, I really wanted to switch to D*, but with AT150 I was a little more satisfied.

Right now I just wanna get BEV. The PVR5100 would be really nice but even with the exchange rate it's still too much, might just have to settle for a 3100 which are ~$130 USD at RadioShack Canada. Could probably find an old 2700 on Ebay really cheap, but I want something with some functionality.

Tomorrow will be exactly four years ago that we got E*. Happy Anniversary to Me :D

8. Adam Richey

Adam Richey Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2002
    Kokomo, IN
    Since Dish Network has HBO Comedy and Nickelodeon GAS, I have to choose them. Although DirecTV is better in many other ways in my opinion.

9. HarryD

HarryD Icon

Mar 24, 2002
    Lehigh...
    I've had both and, for me, DirecTV is the hands down winner! Dish's buggy Dishplayer did me in. Couldn't take any more of the promises of it being fixed with the next release.. (it's STILL going on!) DirecTV's hardware have better looking EPG. DISH's look like they were programmed in basic. :rolleyes:

10. bunkers

bunkers Legend

Dec 16, 2002
    BETTER LOOKING DTV EPG?, YeS -- BUT SLOW AS HELL and the print can be a negative when viewing on a smaller TV set.

DISH DOESN'T LOOK AS GOOD (it DOES look programmed in basic -- haha), BUT ITS FAST.

In dealing with computer systems, most folks take speed over looks in the long run.

Also, the DTV EPG is not suitable for TV sets under 30". IMHO, because the fonts are too small to read easily/clearly.

11. Danny R

Danny R Goblin the Pug DBSTalk Gold Club

Jul 5, 2002
    When I signed up with Dish it was all about programming. Dish had WB and UPN, DTV didn't.

Dish has a slight edge for programming today for me with their superstations, balanced by Tivo's advanced features on the DTV side. If I had to choose all over again, I'd probably go with DTV based on the Tivo. I might be tempted to switch only if DTV could provide me a Tivo (with no monthly fee) in a cost free swap of my current equipment.

As for the future, it all depends on the quality of the HD Tivo and the 921.

12. platinum

platinum Godfather/Supporter

Oct 28, 2002
    I got D* back in 95, I had Cablevision and I was thrilled to get rid of them. I've been more than happy with D* since then and you got to love the D*Tivo receiver.

13. manicd

manicd Legend

Jan 30, 2003
    I was with DirecTV but switched to Dish becuase I could get Star Trek. DirecTV didn't have any UPN stations at the time and couldn't give me a date when "locals" would be available.

Disconnecting from D* was hard. I had the E* installer in my house and D* did not want to disconnect my service. I finally prevailed.

E* gave me a deal to switch from D* whan I called. I got the 501. I have seen where ome people have had problems with this reciever. But for me it has been top notch.

I would never pay some monthly fee or outrageous one time fee to get some guide from DirecTV or TiVo. That is the biggest joke ever played on the consumer.

I liked the 501 so muchI got a sceond one. Now I disk everything that has commercials in them so I can skip them. The advertisers are not losing anything, since I never bought anything based on a commercial.

In regards to cable, if cable was the only thing left available, I would never go back. I would go without first!!!

The only problem I have had with the 501 is getting it to download PPV so I could pay for them. Had to call Tech suppocrt and get them to send a command to force the download.

Long live Dish and the PVR!

14. Karl Foster

Karl Foster Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    I believe $500 for a dual-tuner PVR is a big joke played on consumers as well. Dish has made it impossible for the average Joe to have two dual-tuner PVR's in the home. Nobody wants to shell out $1000 for two 721's. It is much easier to come up with $400 for two Directivo's and pay a $4.99 monthly fee. If a D* sub has Total Choice Premier, the fee is waived. It comes out to a daily cost of $.16, which is money well spent.

Name-based recording is worth $4.99 per month by itself. Did you remember to add 10 minutes to your Friends recording tonight? Did you remember to change the time for Will & Grace, which started 20 minutes later? If you had a Directv PVR, you didn't have to, it did it by itself.

BTW, we aren't paying for the guide, we are paying for the software functionality of the equipment.

This has been beaten to death in every discussion, but those who have name-based recording will never settle for time-based recording. YMMV.

15. waydwolf

waydwolf Icon

Feb 2, 2003
    I install cable, Dish Network, and DirecTV and prefer Cox Digital Cable hands down for ease, simplicity, and cost.

The march of all digital no analog cable is inexorable as the FCC deadline grows near. There's still plenty of bandwidth to run well over two hundred all digital channels and many systems ran more fiber than needed and could overbuild their own systems with secondary copper and bands to double their channels for a lot less than a constellation of new satellites.

The FCC also has shown itself open to spectrum sharing and it would not surprise me in the slightest if the 950Mhz-1450Mhz and 1550Mhz-2050Mhz bands were opened to cable use. On top of this cable companies are pushing forward to offering fiber to the curb and fiber to the home and are spurred on by the telecom companies.

Satellite meanwhile is still not getting any easier to install for customers, still hasn't advanced greatly in its switching technology, and is still proceeding from an idiotic and illogical zero sum game stance of equating their success with cable's failure and comparing their digital services with the piddling analog cable services of yesteryear. It didn't work for C-band and it won't work now.

Satellite's greatest potentials are in rapidly offering channels that cable cannot do so easily to a nationwide audience and the simple fact that you can't take cable with you(mobile digital TV in every minivan and camper is an easy sell to a public in love with TV). Unless and until satellite realizes and accepts this, and ceases its insane insistance that it can "kill" cable, they will be eventually rendered as irrellevant as C-band was.

Over the time I have installed satellite and cable, I have run into an increasing number of customers of both who want elements of the other and in the end, they show what this is all about. Not a specific delivery technology, but content delivery any way they can get it, at a price they're comfortable with, that doesn't require any real thought about the underlying technology.

After all, there's skant difference between the cable company sending signal from their dishes to you and you sending signal from your dishes down to your living room. It's still TV.

TV delivery broadband convergence is what the customers want, and given the way things have gone, they will sooner or later get it in one form or another. True ala carte selection across multiple services will be a fact of life eventually and the sooner the industry gets with the public's program, the better off they will be.

Can't come soon enough, because my income depends on them getting it right, and the way Echostar has gone does not reassure me. If this keeps up, my satellite installation income will permanently drop to a level that signals my time to get out. I don't want to see that happen and hope that they lead the way instead of letting cable do it for them.

Come to think of it, did the ephemeral idea of a constellation of low Earth orbit birds and small microstrip antennas with five hundred digital channels go poof with Iridium and the like?

*sigh*

16. Mike123abc

Mike123abc Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jul 19, 2002
    There is no doubt that cable can be superior to anything Dish and Direct could provide. Cable has the capacity today to put 40mbit/sec into a single 6MHZ "channel" Most modern cable systems have the ability to do 750MHZ or 125 channels. If they do 75 analog channels that still gives them 50 digital channels, each channel has more capacity than a satellite transponder. If cable wanted to do all HDTV, cable could provide 250 HDTV channels at once. Note that the 750MHZ limit is arbitrary, they could invest in the cable plant to go to 1GHZ (or even further if they wanted to upgrade the cable in people houses).

The point is that Cable does not use its advantages. Cable is not interested in using the advantages. Only after 20million households have switched to satellite does Cable start to think about competing with satellite.

If a cable system wanted to crush satellite all it would have to do is offer the same channels at the same price as satellite, or even close to the same price. Who would want to mess with satellite if cable was the same at the same price? But, that would mean cutting their profit margins, so why do it?

This is why the debate for many comes down to Dish/Direct. In my case Dish is $40+/month cheaper than Time Warner Cable (I sub to everything). This savings would allow me to buy a 721 every year (TWC does not even offer a PVR in my area).

The cable industry is starting to wake up and maybe with HDTV and digital cable ready TVs, they will get back a lot of Dish/Direct customers. But, it will take a long time when people think HDTV vs $$/month. I would switch back if TWC offered a lot more HDTV than Dish in my area.

17. mans

mans New Member

Feb 4, 2003
    I had Dish for 5yrs. and switched to Directv 1yr. ago for what I perceived as a PQ advantage. NO REGRETS!