1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

What does a green light on a GenieGo mean?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by Peapod, Mar 16, 2014.

1. Peapod

Peapod Godfather

Oct 14, 2006
    My GenieGo has been broken since early December. It will occasionally begin preparing shows for a few minutes then reset to waiting to prepare. I have been working with DirecTV support since December, although after about a month they lost my case and I had to start all over.

I can stream shows in home and out of home -- it's only download to device that is broken (sadly that's the one feature I really care about).

Since this effort began I have replaced virtually everything in my entire setup. DirecTV sent out a replacement GenieGo, and eventually recommended upgrading to a SWiM/DECA setup, at which time I finally got a Genie DVR. I have replaced my old D-Link gigabit switch with a Cisco managed gigabit switch. I have switched ISPs (from DSL to business class cable), switched from routing with an Airport Extreme to a Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite and replaced every network cable involved in any of this chain -- all gigabit connections are Cat 6 and all 100MB connections are Cat 5e.

Earlier this week, while sending more diagnostic reports to DirecTV, the status light on the GenieGo suddenly changed to green for a few minutes, and I managed to get 3 one hour shows to download, before it stopped again for about 14 hours, then worked for a 2 hour movie before now failing for the last 9-10 hours again. I have yet to see the green light repeat, and cannot find anything anywhere about a green status light -- everything I read suggests that the possible colors for that light are blue, amber and red, but it was definitely green. I also haven't gotten any idea from DirecTV support what that could mean.

Honestly it seems that they have no idea what is going on, and I seem to be doing the same diagnostic checks over and over again for months now at a 30 minute or longer call every few days. It's unbelievably frustrating.

2. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Yep, according to the manual, there is no green LED status indicator.

3. PK6301

PK6301 Legend

May 16, 2012
    Erie, PA
    Of the 3 light on the GenieGo which one had the "Green Color" ? I know there is also a "White Light".

Solid White GenieGO is powering up.
    Solid Blue GenieGO is set up properly.
    oK Blinking Blue Content downloading from GenieGO to device.
    Pulsing Blue GenieGO is preparing DVR content for mobile use.
    Blinking Amber Downloading GenieGO device firmware update.
    Solid Amber Indicates general problem with GenieGO. (See Amber Status Light
    section on next page for info.)
    PRoBLEM Red Critical Error. Unplug power from GenieGO and contact DIRECTV
    customer service.
    Off No power. Make sure power cord is plugged in correctly and that
    electricity is working.19

Amber Status Light is oN
    Network Light is oFF
    No Internet connection Make sure that the router is connected to
    the Internet and the cable between the
    router and the GenieGO™ device is properly
    secured.

Amber Status Light is oN
    Activity Light is oFF
    GenieGO can’t find an HD
    DVR to communicate with
    Make sure that the HD DVR is powered on
    (stand-by mode is OK) and that you have
    an active Internet connection.
    See the Additional Info section on page 20
    for instructions on checking your HD DVR’s
    connection to the Internet, or visit support.
    directv.com.
    When the Status light is amber, it indicates two possible problems, both of which are indicated

4. Peapod

Peapod Godfather

Oct 14, 2006
    Status was green. and it was clearly a bright lime green (and I'm not color blind). I was on the phone with DirecTV support at the time, and verified it a few times.

5. PK6301

PK6301 Legend

May 16, 2012
    Erie, PA
    Oh I believe you, but that's a new one on me.

But on the Bright Side you upgraded to a bigger better badder DVR, better internet, better cabling, and better router... :hurah: :hurah:

Now if you could just get the GenieGo to act right you would be Golden !!!!! :bang :bang

6. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    I suppose they haven't tried replacing it?

7. Go Beavs

Go Beavs Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2008
    Portland,...
    I've seen the green light before on my GenieGo. It coincided with sending diagnostic reports to DIRECTV. Based on that, I figured the green light meant it was sending diagnostic data, although I have no way of confirming that.

I'll see if I can duplicate that behavior later when I'm home.

8. Peapod

Peapod Godfather

Oct 14, 2006
    Yes, they have replaced the GenieGo, and I have replaced everything else in the chain of communication between the GenieGo and DVRs.

9. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    So give us some more info about your network. . . modem / router, layout of DVRs and GG.

10. Peapod

Peapod Godfather

Oct 14, 2006
    Motorola SB6121 cable modem
    Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite router
    Cisco SG300-20 gigabit managed switch
    Everything is plugged into the Cisco switch. As these are all 100M connections, I am using Cat-5e on all of them. From the switch GUI:

11 GE11 Ooma 1000M-copper Up Enabled 100M Full Unprotected
    12 GE12 DirecTV HR24-100 1000M-copper Up Enabled 100M Full Unprotected
    13 GE13 DirecTV HR44-700 1000M-copper Up Enabled 100M Full Unprotected [​IMG]

I'm not doing anything special on the switch relating to these ports. The switch is about two weeks old and the router is 5 days old. Prior to that I was using an Airport Extreme for routing and a few 5 port D-Link gigabit switches. The DVRs and GenieGo were all hooked into one of the switches.

11. NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    Peapod, try this. If you can.

Connect the GenieGO via Cat5 cable to your Router.
    Connect your Genie via Cat 5 cable directly to your Router.
    -If that is not possible, connect your DECA network to the Router directly with a CCK or BB DECA.
    -Or if your Genie is an HR44, try wireless to the router. If your router supports it.

Just yesterday I was communicating with someone with a Layer 3 Gigabit switch and once we took that out of the equation, some problems were solved.

In other words, don't have any Directv devices or traffic through additional switches after the router unless its something like a $29 low cost switch.

Reboot everything after the changes of course

12. Peapod

Peapod Godfather

Oct 14, 2006
    I don't currently have a CCK or BB DECA, but I do have a DCA2SR0, that was used for an HR22 before I decommissioned it. I'm more than willing to try it though if it might help. I should add that in-home and out-of-home streaming work perfectly though, as does downloading to devices -- it is only preparation that fails.

My switch is currently configured in Layer 2 mode on purpose to keep it simpler, but I had also tried this with an unmanaged D-Link 5 port switch for months without success.

My router does not do wireless. It's a dedicated purpose router. It has two ports after the WAN is used, and I would be actually routing between two subnets if I hooked it up that way. I have been considering putting my wireless access point on another subnet and on the other router port, but have not specifically because not everything may route correctly across the two and I don't want to have to mess with forwarding things like broadcast across the two subnets.

I definitely could try wireless to the access point that connects to the switch. Is there a reason you suggest Cat5? I'll have to find some I can borrow, as I don't even keep any Cat5 laying around anymore -- just Cat5e and Cat6.

13. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    when we say cat 5 we generally mean Ethernet cable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    Assuming you cannot connect an ETHERNET cable to your Genie that goes directly to the router, try the DCA2SR0 as a broadband DECA. Connect it to the router and an open port on a splitter. I assume its Green Labeled Directv approved splitter. Any splitter has to be for DECA.

Then move the GenieGO if necessary and connect it to another port on the Router.

Reboot everything. You should get blue lights on the GG after 2 mins.

I'd be curious if you still cannot prepare.

15. Peapod

Peapod Godfather

Oct 14, 2006
    It's the connection directly to the router that would cause problems. Two connections on the router would be on two different subnets, whether it's direct via ethernet or through the DCASR0. I would have to configure routing between the two subnets and probably have issues with things like broadcast. Worse, I would not be able to connect my wireless access point to the router then, as all ports would be in use, so I would have no way of seeing if anything worked.

Even if I setup everything to route correctly with direct connections only to the router, I suspect that the software running on the devices wouldn't even understand one device on a 192.168.2.0/24 network and another device on a 192.168.3.0/24 network. I think it would treat them as 'outside the home'.

16. NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    I am not following your concern.
    Connection 1 is the DECA network
    Connection 2 is the GG

Data will pass through the router for the DVRs to communicate with the GG.

Don't the ports on the router follow some 192.168.2.x where anything on the ports is in the same DHCP pool and subnet?

That is how GG is designed to function.

17. Peapod

Peapod Godfather

Oct 14, 2006
    Not on a real router. That would work fine on a switch, but a router routes between subnets. Most home 'routers' are really very simple downstream/upstream routers with a switch built in. This is not what I am using.

I can connect everything back into the D-Link regular switch, but I wouldn't expect it to work since I had exactly this configuration until two weeks ago.

18. NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    According to your posts, you've changed just about everything in your system and still have the issues. And since you don't have a real router (your words), that might be the root cause.
    As I mentioned earlier the GG product was designed to plug into the same router as your DECA internet.

Sophisticated business like systems will mess it up, as you experienced.

19. Peapod

Peapod Godfather

Oct 14, 2006
    You misunderstand me. I used to have just an airport extreme that acted as a minimal router (WAN to everything else), 3 port switch and wireless access point. I tried plugging the DVRs and GenieGo into both the airport extreme and also through a separate D-Link gigabit switch. The GenieGo did not work.

I now have a dedicated router that just does routing, a managed switch (in layer 2 mode and with everything fancy disabled except link aggregation to NAS) and am still using the airport extreme as a wireless access point for now.

Essentially the starting configuration when this problem began is what you are asking me to try, and it did not work. I can pretty much rule out a malfunctioning device because I have swapped everything out except one of the DVRs and the WAP.

When you say plug everything into the same router, I believe you really mean a combo router/switch, as on a dedicated router every port is usually a different segment. I'm sure some routers can be configured to share a network segment among multiple ports, but this is not the default behavior of a router, and it's not an option on mine in any case.

20. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    Just put a small switch directly behind the single port on your router. Then plug the GG and Deca module into it. You don't want them on separate subnets. Keep it simple . . .