1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What does "Canceled" mean in history?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by rkreitl, Nov 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nov 1, 2007 #1 of 20
    rkreitl

rkreitl Duplicate User (Account Closed)

Aug 24, 2007
    I've been pretty quiet here. Just reading. But I'm REALLY getting tired of my HR10 replacement commonly referred to as a HR20. It can't seem to handle trick play, can't keep time and can't record what I tell it to record.

I have a SL set to record my local news. Today, for some reason, without anything else scheduled to record, I miss the 5:00 and 6:00 shows. These have worked every other night. It records NBC Nightly news at 5:30, but nothing before or after. I have no padding.

I look in "history" (I use that term lightly) and see both the 5:00 and 6:00 showings were "canceled". What's that mean?

Can ANYONE tell me what happened other than "opps"?

2. Nov 1, 2007 #2 of 20
    armophob

armophob Difficulty Concen........

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL
    Sounds like you had conflicts in the prioritizer and it recorded something else. Are there 2 recorded programs that were on at the same time?

3. Nov 1, 2007 #3 of 20
    Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    If you're running software 0x1b4, there is a very detailed description on every history item... what does it say?

4. Nov 2, 2007 #4 of 20
    rkreitl

Aug 24, 2007
    Nothing else scheduled. 5:00 local news 30 minutes, 5:30 NBC news 30 minutes, 6:00 local news 30 minutes. NBC recorded, others where "canceled".

Also, nothing else was in the playlist.

5. Nov 2, 2007 #5 of 20
    rkreitl

Aug 24, 2007
    HR20-100, 18a. Guess I'm just out of luck here until something new comes along. Any idea when that would be or how I can get 1b4?

Does 1b4 fix the problem with shows starting late?

6. Nov 2, 2007 #6 of 20
    Lee L

Lee L Hall Of Fame

Aug 15, 2002
    rkreitl, don't worry. The HR20 works perfectly and these problems are just in your imagination.

How telling that response number one is someone saying you don't know what you are talking about and there must have been conflicts when you already said "without anything else scheduled to record"

7. Nov 2, 2007 #7 of 20
    DC_SnDvl

DC_SnDvl Godfather

Aug 17, 2006
    I have had similar problems with my HR20-700 over the past week.

Nothing conflicts with the scheduled recording but they are getting dropped.

This is acting like the HDTivo was acting when D* was having guide data issues. It is surprising that more people are not noticing this.

8. Nov 2, 2007 #8 of 20
    davemayo

davemayo Hall Of Fame

Nov 17, 2005
    I had the same thing happen last night with Scrubs. I have a SL but last night's episode did not record and History says "Canceled." Nothing else set to record at that time.

9. Nov 2, 2007 #9 of 20
    jimb726

jimb726 Icon

Jan 9, 2007
    Not sure what you were reading but it didnt look like he was telling him that he didnt know what he was talking about. He sinmply suggested that something else might have been scheduled. How is that implying that he doesnt know what the OP is talking about? And not surprisingly no one (other than yourself) has stated that the unit is perfect or that the problems were his imagination.

10. bills976

bills976 Godfather/Supporter

Jun 30, 2002
    I had a missed recording last night as well - sabres/bruins did not record... said the recording was cancelled because the program was no longer available, which is hogwash.

Sort of disappointed because this is my second week with the box after having a DirecTiVo, which had no problem picking up the recording.

11. hasan

hasan Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    That's the difference between actually trying to help someone and merely having an ax to grind.

I think 0x1b4 is being rolled out nationally. If so, you might see the problem go away when you get the update. Various people have had similar problems, so it's not unknown, by any means. It is not something that you can control at this point.

I don't record the programs you listed and have not had the problem you report....but I'm not running the software version you are either, so don't take anything from this post, except perhaps an update will fix it for you.

I have the following Series Links and have not lost any recordings:

(OTA means I record from OTA, a number means Satellite Recording Ch Number)

Boston Legal OTA
    House OTA
    NCIS OTA
    Shark OTA
    Numbers OTA
    Las Vegas OTA
    CSI OTA
    CSI:NY OTA
    General Hospital 262
    Antiques Road Show OTA
    CSI:Miami OTA
    The Unit: OTA
    Morning Joe: 356
    Mosaic: 375

12. Ken S

Ken S RIP

Feb 12, 2007
    The canceled issue has been an ongoing issue for months now. I think DirecTV has made an effort to fix it, but I haven't seen any real progress to date. My best advice is to get yourself a DirecTivo model of some sort to use as a backup as it seems to do a better job or plan on buying DVDs.

13. jwd45244

jwd45244 Hall Of Fame

Aug 18, 2006
    Once, your HR20 gets 1B4 you will see a much greater detail in the history as to why things are not being recorded. While your mileage may very, they have improved the issues with changes in the guide causing missing recordings.

Obviously, we don't know the exact reason you are missing recordings, but the symptoms you are describing tend to point to the guide and program mis-match (not the human-readable part but the internal program id numbers). 1B4 does a much better job of rationalizing these mis-matches.

Please let us know if this improves once your HR20 gets 1B4.

14. Lee L

Lee L Hall Of Fame

Aug 15, 2002
    Sorry if I overreacted or misunderstood, but the OP mentioned that this was a regular recording that usually works and that there was nothing else scheduled to record and the next post is
    There seems to be a real culture of acceptance of the problems this box has here and I have seen people actively try to deny that a problem occurs just because it did not happen to them on that day.

I will admit they got some things right on this thing* , but I have used several differnt DVRs and they got plenty wrong also.

*like the other night, I was watching something recorded, I paused it, found another show in the guide I needed to set up a series link for, got it all done then hit exit and I was right back to he program, all in about 30 seconds, something Tivo could never hope to acheive in 5 minutes

15. rkreitl

Aug 24, 2007
    Guess I'll see what happens once I get the update. Thanks for the help.

16. armophob

armophob Difficulty Concen........

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL
    I just assume that you have confirmed both tuners are activated and you are not missing one.

17. luckydob

luckydob Godfather

Oct 1, 2006
    4 MONTHS!
    4 MONTHS!

This crap has been ongoing for months. If you really want to be sure that you get your SL recordings I would suggest getting about 10 HR20's and you might be able to get one of them to record correctly. It get's old. This is a DVR and it doesn't DVR. No one knows why...and D* doesn't care why. There are apologists on this board that say you should reset your DVR every other day...I say NO. H20-100 is junk. No DOD for HR20-100, no Gamelounge for HR20-100, no functional RF on HR20-100 and the Record portion of the DVR on the HR20-100 doesn't work. So to answer the question of, "What does "Canceled" mean in history?, it means that you got shafted when you received your HR20.

18. JAYPB

JAYPB Legend

May 8, 2002
    For me, lately the vast majority of the Cancelled recordings I've seen in my history are of "Baseball Tonight" on ESPN....that I have set to record via a Series Link. After the WS ended I noticed that EVERY ONE of my cancellations had this connotation:

"This episode was partially recorded because it became unavailable. (13)"

So, I'm *assuming* that means that it was "no longer in the guide"....but I can't verify that because I removed my Season Pass off of my HR10...so I can't compare the 2.

The other recent recording that I missed was for a MANUAL recording I have set up for EVERY DAY at 6AM on CSN 629.....and it missed a showing with this message:

"This showing was partially recorded because of an unexpected error. (14)"

Again, manual recording....not sure if/why it would have to read guide data if it's manual...and I had NOTHING ELSE scheduled to record at that time.

:confused:

19. Sirshagg

Sirshagg Hall Of Fame

Dec 29, 2006
    :up: :up: :up: on both counts. It is however the best HD DVR available for D* (only becasue it's the only one that gets all the channels though)

20. rkreitl

Aug 24, 2007
    Yes, both tuners are working. Although even with one tuner it should have recorded these shows. All three shows are on the same channel. 5:00, 5:30 and 6:00. It recorded the 5:30 but not the 5:00 or 6:00 shows.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.