1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

What does No ATSC mean?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV DVR with TiVo Discussion' started by talktalktalk, May 2, 2013.

1. May 2, 2013 #1 of 17
    talktalktalk

talktalktalk Cool Member

Jan 1, 2012
    What does it exactly mean pertaining to the Thr22?

2. May 2, 2013 #2 of 17
    LI-SVT

LI-SVT Icon

May 18, 2006
    It does'nt have a built in OTA tuner.

3. May 2, 2013 #3 of 17
    CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    But you can add an AM-21 I believe. Which you can order from your on-line acct at Directv, they are $50 well worth it if you use OTA, and usually arrive in about 2 days.

4. May 2, 2013 #4 of 17
    trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Will the AM21 work with the new TiVo (in another thread, the TS related this question to getting a new TiVo).

5. May 2, 2013 #5 of 17
    Steve615

Steve615 Hall Of Fame

Feb 5, 2006
    Middle TN area
    The AM21 should work with the new TiVo. If I remember correctly, the new TiVo is actually an HR22 unit, with the TiVo software incorporated into it.

If that is not assessment is not accurate, I'm sure someone else will provide more info.

6. May 2, 2013 #6 of 17
    harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Not only is the AM21 compatible with the THR22, but it will scan for OTA channels; a software feature not shared by any other HR2x model.

7. May 2, 2013 #7 of 17
    codespy

codespy Packers or Bust!! DBSTalk Club

Mar 29, 2006
    Wisconsin
    Harsh is spot on, I have had an AM21 on my THR22 forever, and enjoy the scanning as I can pick up three markets where I live.

The blue power light on the AM21 does not shut-off when in standby, similar to the HR34, otherwise everything works fine.

8. May 3, 2013 #8 of 17
    talktalktalk

talktalktalk Cool Member

Jan 1, 2012
    So, does my friend's old Hr-10 have ATSC? We don't see any AM-21 attached to it, but there are two (2) dishes on the roof.
    There is one oval with 3 Lnb's and one old round dish with one of those antennas attached. Can anyone break down what is actually going on on the roof? Thanks

9. May 3, 2013 #9 of 17
    peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    It depends on your location and how isolated you are from the transmitting towers. Folks in NYC can get easily get by with "rabbit ears" while folks in the suburbs we'll need a Yogi style antenna. Check out these websites more info

www.antennaweb.org
    www.tvfool.com

10. codespy

Mar 29, 2006
    Wisconsin
    ..........in addition, your friend's old HR10-250 does have built in OTA, two tuners in fact. Whether or not he has anything connected to that coax input is another story, but the option is there.

11. talktalktalk

talktalktalk Cool Member

Jan 1, 2012
    We're in Los angeles. So, I know the hr-10 is actually getting the locals. But I thought that's what the am-21 was for.
    Is Dtv supplying the local channels? (nbc,cbs,abc etc) or is it possibly coming in from the smaller round dish with the antenna attached?

12. codespy

Mar 29, 2006
    Wisconsin
    You get locals in SD, but any HD locals will have a "-1" suffix after the respective local channel number and can only be obtained from an external antenna connected to the HR10 at your location. DirecTV does not supply them to your HR10 (if it's anything like my local channels where my DMA is).

The AM-21 is not compatible with the HR10-250, only the HR2x series receivers, in which the latter is able to pick up HD Locals on their own without the use of an OTA antenna.

Hope this helps.

13. talktalktalk

talktalktalk Cool Member

Jan 1, 2012
    He has all of his coaxial connections on the back of his HR-10 hooked up. Could the round dish with the antenna on it be where the lines are going to?
    BTW is this one of the mpeg-2 tivo's?

14. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Yes, the HR10 is indeed an MPEG 2 DVR

15. codespy

Mar 29, 2006
    Wisconsin
    It definitely may or may not be. I have not seen his setup. :)

16. talktalktalk

talktalktalk Cool Member

Jan 1, 2012
    So, the installer came out a couple of weeks ago and put the genie and client downstairs but left the tivo untouched but we lost all of the -1 HD local channels. Can anyone tell me why this has happened?
    I know he said it was not compatible with the new system, but why couldn't he have just left the coax from the antenna connected so I could keep those channels? BTW after his installation upgrade he left behind the original switches and splitters. I even see one of the disconnected coax cables in the junction box.

17. sbl

sbl Icon DBSTalk Club

Jul 21, 2007
    This is the HR10? If you have a Genie, you would have been changed to a SWM system, but if you are keeping the HR10 it would need the SWM8 module and not the dish with the built-in SWM. The module has "Legacy" outputs for the HR10. But it sounds as if the installer disconnected your antenna, which was unfortunate. You can try calling them back to fix it.