1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What does the free installation include

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by MrGibbage, Jul 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrGibbage

MrGibbage Mentor

Jul 18, 2007
    I am having a new DTV DVR installed in my upstairs bedoom. I have one RG6 cable coming through a jack on an interior wall now for my current DTV receiver, but will need to add another cable to support both tuners. To install another cable, a new cable will have to come down from the attic and down the inside of the wall. Will the installers do that for free, or should I do it myself ahead of time?

Also, does installation include a multi-switch? I already have one DVR downstairs (my only other receiver), so I think I will need a multi-switch to install another DVR. I can't remember how many cables come of the three-LNB dish.

Skip

2. 996911

996911 Go Pack!

Aug 24, 2006
    Tobacco...
    I would definitely run the cable yourself. I did as I wanted to make sure it was done "right" as opposed to whatever way the installer sees fit. Usually a line down the side of your house and drill a big hole to run it through into the house about where the box will be. When my installer comes out next week he will only have to connect 4 cables from the dish to the 4 coax outlet installed on my roof and then again 4 cables from the wall inside my entertainment built-in cabinet in the living room into the back of the 2 DVR's. So about 8 cables of about 2-3 feet each. I was told by the rep when I signed up that they would run up to 125ft per box but did not specify the manner (in-wall, side of house into a hole in the brick, etc.)

This should be the easiest install ever for my install company.

3. jfalkingham

jfalkingham Godfather

Dec 6, 2005
    Hi Skip,

From what I have seen, they will do the quickest, easiest path, not always the best. I believe they have the ability to charge more for fishing in walls, but thats up to you and the installer. If you have the ability to do it from the wall to the attic, I would do that before they got there. They will provide a multiswitch.

Enjoy!

4. JLucPicard

JLucPicard Hall Of Fame

Apr 27, 2004
    MrGibbage,

Welcome aboard! :welcome_s

Generally the free installation includes running the cable around the outside if the house to the point on the exterior wall where the receiver will be, then drilling there (or to a home run spot or whatever). If you want cables fished in the walls, you should expect to have to pay for it. If you search for "fishing" or something like that, you should find several discussions of what they do and approxiamte charges, though each installer can vary on what is charged.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.