1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What does the power button really do?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by gquiring, Oct 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gquiring

gquiring Godfather

Jan 8, 2006
    Coming from a Tivo where there is no power off, what does the power button really do on a HR20-100? Is it good practice to shut it off when not in use or is it always recording the buffer? Does the drive spin down if you use the power button?

2. Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo Lifetime Achiever

Oct 20, 2006
    All the power off buttons does is put the unit in standby and turns the front panel lights off and the A/V outputs off.

The unit is still fully operational.

3. say-what

say-what Active Member

Dec 14, 2006
    New Orleans
    It just puts the unit into standby. All functions remain live, the buffer continues to load, and recordings continue to take place - I think the outputs turn off. It's really a personal preference as to whether you put the unit into standby or not.

4. dmurphy

dmurphy Active Member

Sep 28, 2006
    All it does is shut off the outputs on the back. That's it.

No spindown, because buffering continues even in "power off" mode.

That was one of the things that I was hesitant about with the HR20, but really, it's fine. One of the Nice Things (tm) about it is that you can use the on/off buttons on the top right of the HR20 remote to power on/off the TV & HR20 at the same time.

5. gquiring

gquiring Godfather

Jan 8, 2006
    Ok thanks, I was hoping for a spin down to keep it cool when it's not recording anything. So there is no point in powering it down. Luckily they allow you turn off that blazing blue ring, it looks like a beacon at night while watching TV!

6. rynberg

rynberg Legend

Oct 6, 2006
    You know you can reduce the brightness of the ring or even turn it off, don't you?

7. gquiring

gquiring Godfather

Jan 8, 2006
    Yes I did, I turned it off the first day, that thing was like a blue spot light.

8. wjbjr

wjbjr Cool Member

Jun 5, 2007
    One can also reduce the brightness of the other blue lights by covering each of them with a tiny piece of masking tape.

9. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Yes, one can do that as well. Back in the day I used to use rubylith on things like that.

10. Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    There is a small advantage to turning the HR20/HR21 off, it lets the software know that you are not using the unit and it can start its housekeeping cycle earlier and perhaps more often.

Cheers,
    Tom

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.