1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

What does this small print mean

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by gkamer, May 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gkamer

gkamer Mentor

Nov 4, 2005
    I was thinking of upgrading to the Genie HiDef package and noticed this in the small print:

Remote viewing requires a model C31 Client, H25 HD Receiver(s) or RVU-enabled TV/device in each additional room, a SWiM network and Advanced Receiver Service ($25/mo.)

So what am I paying $25.00 extra a month for? The receiver or the ability to watch a movie in the bedroom (remotely) from my receiver in the living room or what? It sounds like I'm going to need extra stuff besides just the receiver, but I'm not sure. Right now all I have is a R22-100 receiver in the living room and a D12-100 in the bedroom. Plus 2 remote controllers.

2. longrider

longrider DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Apr 21, 2007
    Elizabeth, CO
    The advanced receiver fee applies to any HDDVR, not just a Genie. It is a combination of the HD fee, DVR fee and Whole Home fee. As for the equipment that statement is a little misleading. While you do need something in the other room (unless you have an RVU capable TV) it can be any Whole Home capable receiver or DVR. It is not limited to the C31 or H25.

3. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Since you have a DVR now, if you get a Genie you monthly fee will increase by $13. that will cover your HD service ($10) and WHDVR service ($3.00). If you are "lucky" enough to get the one "convenient" fee which covers all services in one fee, it will increase by $15.00

4. gkamer

gkamer Mentor

Nov 4, 2005
    Ok, thanks for the info guys..... appreciate it.

5. studechip

studechip Godfather

Apr 16, 2012
    It doesn't apply to existing accounts, only new ones. It applies to all Genies, though.

6. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    and even if new account with one HDDVR, the fees would be bill separately, minus WHDVR fee

7. nmetro

nmetro Godfather

Jul 11, 2006
    I have an HR34 and an H25. $25 for the Advanced Receiver, $6 each for the two TVs. $6 credit for 24 months (ends August). So, with no credit, $37.00; with credit $31.00..Throw in $7.99, for the Protection Service. $44.99 ($39.99), before any programming. Also, there is a $10 a month discount rolled in, somehwere, to e-billing. It is nota separate line item on the bill.

Also, this fees includes the SWIM, tthe dish, the two network devices which run over coax.

Both DirecTV and Dish offer deals, but it would be helpful that they really tell consumers what the non-discount price will eventually be.

So, expect to pay $50.00/month for two TVs with a Genie, eventually. If you go all out, with the Premium Package ($129.99), plus HD pack ($8.99), plus the Protection Plan, it will be just under $200/month total (no discounts).

8. inkahauts

inkahauts DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 13, 2006
    Actually DIRECTV does a better job than almost anyone telling you why the non discount price is and what the price is every month for two years. As you sign up and see the price you can click on a link that spells it out for every month for the next two years.

9. studechip

studechip Godfather

Apr 16, 2012
    The $6/month credit you are getting is for the first tv, which is a permanent credit. It won't go away in 24 months. Everybody gets it.

10. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Yep, the first TV is included with the programming package

11. matty8199

matty8199 Icon

Dec 4, 2005
    this might not be entirely true, for people who are grandfathered into free DVR. i've had premier since becoming a customer back in '06, when DVR was included w/ the premier package. i've been grandfathered into free DVR ever since...so, my fee is only $13 (whole home + HD). i just upgraded to genie when i moved last month, and it's still only $13...so, just upgrading to genie doesn't cause anyone who's grandfathered in to lose their free DVR.

12. studechip

studechip Godfather

Apr 16, 2012
    Good to know, thanks.

13. ejbvt

ejbvt AllStar

Aug 14, 2011
    VT
    You are correct to wonder because it's pointless, despite what the employees and fanboys will say. I pay for the service into my house, it's ridiculous to pay for additional TVs if you use a client, but it's a way for TV companies to extort money from their customers. Same with the greedy HD fee and not being able to shut off locals anymore. I do understand a DVR fee because that is Directv technology and an "Extra," if you will. But I can stream many channels on my computer and phone for no additional cost. The client won't work without a Genie so it's not a receiver. I prefer the client over a second receiver because I can bring the OTA channels in the other room without splitting the antenna line more. I know that others don't share that view, but that's fine. You should be paying for an additional receiver, though, since you have one. I have a client that is worthless when the Genie is being stupid, so I won't pay for it (And, after a few phone calls and emails with that very point, I don't.)

14. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Although I you have a point that I don't agree with, I would not necessarily use the word "extort" as you are not forced, or threaten to pay the fee.

15. CraigerM

CraigerM Member

Apr 15, 2014
    St. Louis
    What if the $25 Advanced DVR Fee included the first Genie/RVU client? Then each additional Client was $6 a month?

16. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    huh??

17. studechip

studechip Godfather

Apr 16, 2012
    If you are referring to the $6/month fee for any receiver/dvr, it's already credited back on the first unit.

18. CraigerM

CraigerM Member

Apr 15, 2014
    St. Louis
    I was saying do the same thing for the first Genie/RVU Client also.

19. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Why? AFAIK DirecTV is not a charity organization or non-profit

20. damondlt

damondlt New Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Newfoundland...
    Just to clarify, The advanced receiver fee includes your HD , DVR service as well as the MRV fees.

Sent from my Galaxy S5

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.