1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What equipment/Dish to go with new HR20/21

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Tips and Resources' started by Bill D, Oct 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bill D

Bill D Godfather

May 10, 2002
    Hello,
    Currently I have a 3 LNB Dish with built in switch that gives you 4 outputs, that feed my two SD tivos. I am going to be adding one HR20/21 in the near future. I would like to keep the other tivo's.

Obviously I need the new 5LNB dish. I assume these have built in switches? What does it break out to, 4 outputs?

If that is the case would I need some sort of other switch inside my house to get me from 4 to 6 outputs to feed the 3 DVR's?

Just want to make sure I get what I need when I order.

thanks
    Bill

2. Greyshadow2007

Greyshadow2007 Legend

Aug 23, 2006
    You are correct, the 5-LNB dish does have a built in 4 port multiswitch. With the inputs you need for 3 DVRs you'll also want a multiswitch. The current one recommended by D* is the Zinwell WB68

3. Spanky_Partain

Spanky_Partain Active Member

Dec 7, 2006
    I recommend having your dish installed. They will supply the correct switch and get it aligned properly. They supplied my Zinwll WB68 since I need it.

4. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    When you buy the HD DVR, request free installation. DirecTV typically provides free installation of the 5-LNB dish and required multiswitch when you buy new HiDef DVRs or Receivers.

5. Bill D

Bill D Godfather

May 10, 2002
    Sounds good everyone, thanks for the info. I wasn't planning on even asking about doing my own install, climbing on roofs is where I end my DIY stuff. Much easier letting someone else take care of this stuff.

Good to know multiswitch can go inside though, does it have to be a certain distance from the receiver or dish?
    thanks

6. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Anything under 100-150 feet is fine.

7. Milominderbinder2

Milominderbinder2 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '08

Oct 8, 2006
    Let DIRECTV do it all.

The dish, switch, cables, etc. are all a part of what you get for free.

These tips will help you make sure you get everything listed in your work order: HD DVR (HR20) Ordering Tips. Click each link especially the Agreement link to see this will create a new 2-year contract.

Also, there are still a couple more days in the Big Ten Offer.

- Craig

8. Bill D

Bill D Godfather

May 10, 2002
    cool thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.