1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

What Equipment Do I Need?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by Eagleibob2314, Jul 3, 2013.

1. Jul 3, 2013 #1 of 10
    Eagleibob2314

Eagleibob2314 New Member

Jul 3, 2013
    Central...
    Sort of between a rock and hard spot. We were grandfathered in by Direct for distant network service but about seven years ago we moved and continued with the DNS, can't have Direct do it or they will disconnect the DNS, my wife likes getting the east coast feeds as she gets up early for work and can watch her favorite programs early were on the west coast. Now the HR20 DVR we have is on the blink. Would like to upgrade to the Whole HOme Genie setup which means I have to pay for it and install it. Currently have the Slim Line dish all the lines from the dish funnel into home centnral box two lines from the dish connect to two lines in the living room to the HR20-700 and one line into another romm to an HR21. The HR20 has ethernet line connected. In the other room no ethernet. I am legall blind so it is hard to figure this all out. Can someone give me a blow by blow in laymens terms what equipment I need to convert to whole home and where each piece would be connected? Thanks in advance for your help. In the end I want to have HR44 dvr as my main receiver I have ethernet cable hooked up to the hr 20 that I want to replace and in the other room would like the genie client if that is what they called. So in my mind I visualize a 1 x 4splitter being needed at the central networking box one coxaial split off to the where the HR44 is to be located and one coaxial split off to the genie client. at the hr 44 dvr is that where I would install what I thihk they call a deca hook that up power connect the incomming coxial to the decca and then hook up to hr44 and plug ethernet cable to the hr44?

2. Jul 3, 2013 #2 of 10
    jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Call them. They will probably install it for free or close to it.

3. Jul 3, 2013 #3 of 10
    Eagleibob2314

Eagleibob2314 New Member

Jul 3, 2013
    Central...
    Can't do that as they will disconnect the DNS since we moved from where we were aurthorized to get the NY and LA feeds now that there
    are local satellite feeds.

4. Jul 3, 2013 #4 of 10
    jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    When you get new receivers and activate them that will probably change anyway.

5. Jul 3, 2013 #5 of 10
    Eagleibob2314

Eagleibob2314 New Member

Jul 3, 2013
    Central...
    Hasn't so far have changed out two or three of them in the past eithither I bought them or had them ship them to old house where I
    was actually grandfathered in and new owners would call us and we pick them up. Have you any practical experience where you activate the new box and they canceal the DNS?

6. Jul 3, 2013 #6 of 10
    jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    OK.
    Some of the installers can guide you as to what to use for an upgrade.
    A list of the receivers you want to have when you are finished will help them a lot.

7. Jul 3, 2013 #7 of 10
    longrider

longrider DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Apr 21, 2007
    Elizabeth, CO
    not trying to be rude but we may have an issue here. Your second sentence makes it sound like service is still registered at your old house and you are living somewhere else. If true, this is a violation of DirecTVs Terms of Service and this forum does not allow discussion of practices that violate said TOS

8. Jul 3, 2013 #8 of 10
    Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Good point.

It looks like you have to give up the grandfathered feed, which has now become counter-TOS in exchange for a huge upgrade in service. Let the installers do it right, and you'll be tickled with the flexibility and speed.

9. Jul 4, 2013 #9 of 10
    bigbw

bigbw AllStar

Jun 25, 2003
    I had DNS in AZ. I moved to Arkansas and used movers connections, did not lose DNS.. Moved once while living in AR, used movers connection again and still did not lose DNS.. Moved back to AZ and used movers connection again and still have DNS. I even asked the CSR about it once and she said the only way I would lose it was if I canceled it..

10. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Well, that's certainly hopeful! But your experience won't guarantee the outcome desired by Eaglebob.