1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What equipment will I get - MRV upgrade

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by Cobra5wood, Jun 17, 2010.

1. Cobra5wood

Cobra5wood Mentor

Aug 17, 2004
    I'm considering a "whole home solution(DVR) w/internet". Most of my receivers are quite old. I'm assuming my HR23-700 is OK to go as is. What will Directv substitute for my SD DVR(R10)? How about my 2 regular SD's(SD-HBH's)? The R10 is currently on an SD TV but will be on a HD TV before the install. What if I installed my old HR10-250 instead of the R10 on that new HD TV before the install? Does the $99 equipment charge include replacements for all 3 of my older receivers? Will the $49 installation fee also cover "splitting" a 2nd story outside run and then having that 2nd line enter the house again at the 2nd story about 30' away into the upstairs computer room to access my router? Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.

2. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    The MRV upgrade replaces any non-SWM-compatible receiver with a LIKE MODEL of SWM-compatible receiver. This means SD receivers that aren't SWM compatible will be replaced with a D12, and SD-DVRs (which the HR10-250 is considered now) will be replaced with an R16.

The MRV upgrade does NOT include upgrading SD receivers to HD. That is a separate cost.

3. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Your HR23 is fine as is.

Your old SD-DVR's will be swapped out for R16's. Your old SD receivers will be swapped out for D12's. I believe (but am not sure) that the HR10 is swapped out for a HR2x. I'm not sure since the HR10, while an HD-DVR, doesn't have the capability anymore to receive HD programming (except OTA).

Something to consider is that you won't be able to get the Whole Home MRV Solution if you don't have 2 HD receivers of some sort. Now if the HR10 is swapped out for an HR2x, you will be fine, but if not, then you will need to add at least one HD receiver.

The $99 upgrade fee should cover all of the swap outs. Any additional receivers or upgrades will be an additional cost. The $49 installation fee is for a basic install. Is your HR23 currently networked? If so, then you won't need to have a line run directly to your router as they can use the ethernet cable currently hooked to the HR23. If the HR23 is not networked, I believe the installation fee would include the cost of running a line into the computer room via an outside wall. While that might entail splitting the cable from the dish outside, I'm not sure about the downside to doing that. It might be that the splitters are not made to be outside.

- Merg

Edit: Well, I see that BZ posted about the HR10 being swapped out for an R16. With that being the case, you would need to either add a HD receiver or upgrade one of your current receivers to HD so that you would have 2 HD receivers.

4. 99coop

99coop New Member

Nov 6, 2007
    Here's what I had before today:
    HR22-700
    HR10-250
    H21
    Sony SAT-T60

I signed up for MRV, which required swapping out the H21, the T60, and the HR10. The installer showed up with an HR22, a SD DVR, and an H24. I asked if he had any HR24's, and I realized that I had no use for an SD DVR (R22-100 I think), so asked if that could be replaced with another H24 HD receiver. He put me on the phone with a D* rep, who initially wanted me to pay $49 for the SD DVR to HD receiver "upgrade". Eventually the "upgrade" fee was waived, and now I have:

HR22-700
    HR24
    H24
    H24

And a properly aligned new dish. I'm happy. Anyone need some used coax?

Oh, also, MRV wasn't showing up on the menu yet as the installer had to leave for his next job, but after an automatic software download everything was fine.

5. Cobra5wood

Cobra5wood Mentor

Aug 17, 2004
    Why did 99coop receive an H24 as an upgrade for his H21? Was that necessary? The H21 is already MRV compatible. Also, I'm being told that I won't get an HD DVR for my HR10-250 but he did at no charge. And finally, the graphic picture of the MRV at Directv's web site suggests that any TV in any room can access the single HD DVR portreyed. They do indicate that each of the other rooms in the house have HD receivers for the system to work. What they don't tell you is what it will cost to convert SD recievers of any type into HD so that access can be gained from each existing TV. If I don't include the internet hookup(Deca), am I to assume that the $99 equipment charge is merely a downpayment towards my total HD equipment upgrade needs?

6. sungam

sungam Legend

May 10, 2007
    The $99 covers everything except any upgrades from SD to HD that you might want to make. Updates of SD equipment to equivalent SWiM compatible SD equipment are included in the $99 when needed, but upgrades to HD are extra.

7. bird13

bird13 Cool Member

Nov 3, 2009
    I setup for a MRV install (this coming Tuesday) and asked to add 1 HR2x (we already have 3 HR23-700's hooked up). I was told they would do that for free while also swapping out an old SD receiver for a total of $99 (had to pay immediately). I was also told we would need a 'new dish?'

But we still have an old Sony T-60 hooked up along with an HR10-250. From what I'm reading....those will have to go as well? They didn't say a word about those. So I guess I'll need to contact DTV as I'll need another HR2x and another SD DVR, and this will probably end up costing me more. Do I have this right?

Thanks.

8. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    With an MRV install, you cannot keep any non-SWM-compatible receivers. Both the T060 and the HR10 are now considered SD-DVRs, and will be replaced with R16s (likely, occasionally with R22s if R16s aren't available and R22s are) as part of the MRV install. Upgrading to HD receivers/HD-DVRs is a separate upgrade, and yes, will cost you money.

9. Cobra5wood

Cobra5wood Mentor

Aug 17, 2004
    Would my old DTC210 HD receiver still be considered as an HD receiver for the purpose of an MRV installation? Would it be replaced by an H24?

10. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    As it most likely is an MPEG-2 HD receiver and there no MPEG-2 channels anymore, I would assume that DirecTV would consider it to be a SD receiver now, so it will be swapped out with a R16.

- Merg