1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

what exactly do i need to move to a SWM setup..

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by lazarus2297, Jan 18, 2013.

1. lazarus2297

lazarus2297 Mentor

Oct 16, 2008
    Ok i tried searching through the threads but didn't really find the specific answer to my question..

I currently have two boxes HR-23 (living room) HR-22 (bedroom). I have a zinwell 6x8 multi-switch but would like to move to SWM to have less coax cables going to each box and to rid the HR-22 of the B-band converters..
    By my understanding all i should need is a SWM 8 Multi Switch and the Power Inserter.. since I am only running two boxes i shouldn't need the splitters, right?

Thanks,

2. carl6

carl6 Moderator DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    You should be okay without a splitter. Power connects to one of the two SWM outputs, but there should be a receiver connection on the power inserter. Alternately, you could use a 2 output splitter on the second output to feed both DVRs and just the power inserter to the first output.

3. Go Beavs

Go Beavs Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2008
    Portland,...
    As another option, you can lose the splitter, run one output from the SWM8 to each box, and run the line from the PI to the Legacy 3 port on the SWM8.

4. brett_the_bomb

brett_the_bomb Legend

Oct 24, 2009
    Or you snag a swm lnb and 2 way splitter and power inserted and have a single line from the dish to the 2 way splitter. Probably cheaper I would think since swm 8 multi switches are more rare these days. Craigslist.

5. WestDC

WestDC DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Feb 9, 2008
    get a swm8 off ebay (you already have the four lines comming down to wb68-

You will need Two deca's and a CCK kit. (ebay)

Go her to see how to hook it up

http://www.weaknees.com/swm-directv-resources.php

1.Power off all receivers
    2.remove the bbc's
    3. Swap the wb68 with the smw8 (four down lines)
    4. id the rg6 to each reciver (connect to swm splitter)
    5. attach one bbc to each receiver
    6. attach the CCK to the swm splitter
    7.Then Power up one receiver at a time (unitl you get a picture)
    8. then do the next one.

NO roof time and your done :)

6. Rent_Share

Rent_Share AllStar

Aug 31, 2011
    Two DECAs and a Cat 5/6 connection from one of the receivers to the internet connection should make you eligible for Multi Room Viewing

Unsupported since you are soing the install

7. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    If you are using DECA, you cannot run a CAT5 connection to a receiver unless it is a Genie. The OP would also need a CCK (basically another DECA with a PI) to bridge to their home network/Internet.

- Merg

8. brett_the_bomb

brett_the_bomb Legend

Oct 24, 2009
    I understood OP to want to reduce clutter and remove bbc I saw no mention of whole home in his post. That's why I suggested the cleanest install. Decas are about as bad as bbc's.

9. lazarus2297

lazarus2297 Mentor

Oct 16, 2008
    hey thanks for all the replies.. so I already have MRV setup on my home network.. both my DVR's are networked so I don't need the DECA stuff.. here is my proposed future set up.. let me know if it will work or I need to tweak it some..

I currently have 4 lines coming from my Dish to my zinwell 6x8 multiswitch.. I have two lines running to my HR23 in living room (no need for BBC's here) I also have an OTA line coming from the roof (grounded at the box where my zinwell is) then running to a AM21 i have for my HR23.. I have 2 lines running to my HR22 (BBC's added here)

What i am thinking of doing is replacing the zinwell with the SWM8.. running a new line from the attic area for the Power Inverter to power the SWM8 (since i don't have power at the junction box now) then the reuse one line going to each receiver and connect to the SWM outputs...

will this work properly?

10. samrs

samrs MANC DBSTalk Club

May 30, 2004
    Flat Branch, NC
    Sounds like a lot of work when you could just use the power supply in-line with one of the receivers.

11. carl6

carl6 Moderator DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    If your dish is easy to get to, I would just replace the LNB assembly with an SWM LNB. Use one of the 4 lines already running, and as samrs suggest, put the power inserter at one of the receivers. Put a 2-way splitter at the multiswitch location.

12. brett_the_bomb

brett_the_bomb Legend

Oct 24, 2009
    This was my suggestion too. Seems to be simplest/easiest/fastest/cleanest and probably cheapest.

Take luck.

13. lazarus2297

lazarus2297 Mentor

Oct 16, 2008
  14. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    It will work, but why run a a new line down from the new SWM8 for the PI? Put the PI in-line on the same coax that is going to the power-passing port on the splitter to the SWM11 port on the SWM8.

- Merg