1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What features do you expect / hope for?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV - HMC PC Playback Discussion (private)' started by PoitNarf, Feb 27, 2008.

1. PoitNarf

PoitNarf New Member

Aug 19, 2006
    Curious to see what everyone else here thinks about what sorts of features will be at our disposal.

Playback of HD video in full resolution and Dolby 5.1? (probably)

View on more than one computer at once? (doubtful)

Able to connect to the DVR over Internet? (doubtful, but I bet I could get it to work with some VPN setup)

Playback of a show while the DVR is recording 2 things and the DVR itself is playing back a recording on the TV? (possible)

Stop watching a show halfway through on the PC and then continue from the same spot on the DVR or vice versa? (would be really cool)

I'm sure the rest of you have some interesting thoughts on all of this.

2. lukep10

lukep10 Legend

Apr 13, 2007
    I would love to the eventual ability to save the recordings to the PC in the media center recording file format so they would be at my descresion if i want to keep them for a LOOOOONG time (my Windows Home Server is where all of my files save to now which makes it quite nice.

3. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    If it's like what I saw in the DIRECTV booth at CES, it's just basically a window to your playlist, but on your PC. Think Slingbox HD with better integration and you don't have to watch the same thing that's on your TV.

I was told by a person who would know, that it there are multiple levels of security to keep you from viewing outside your LAN. I'm sure some of you top-level IT guys with $2,000 firewalls at home could find ways around that, but I doubt that "average Joe" could.

4. PoitNarf

PoitNarf New Member

Aug 19, 2006
    I look forward to testing their security measures :D

5. phat78boy

phat78boy Hall Of Fame

Sep 12, 2007
    Not sure how they could prevent you from using the software if you VPN into your network.

I can't wait to test out the software. A list of my hopefuls:

Multiple connections to one DVR.

Multiple DVR lists on one connection. (just in case you part 1 on DVR A and part 2 on DVR B)

Dobly 5.1 (although not as high on my list)

Ability to kick of a DOD download and then watch it.

Full HD.

Resume function from PC to DVR and vice versa.

Will add to my lis as I think a litte more about it.

6. tfederov

tfederov Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Did they have minimum PC requirements listed at CES?

7. mhayes70

mhayes70 New Member

Mar 21, 2006
    "PointNerf" :lol: This would be a real cool feature!

8. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    At CES they were talking about bundling it with new PCs, not using it with older ones.

9. PoitNarf

PoitNarf New Member

Aug 19, 2006
    There are several ways of doing this. Refusing connections if the requesting computer's MAC address is not seen on the same subnet as the HR20 (could be defeated with MAC spoofing). Giving the packets a very low TTL so they would expire if they went over the Internet. Probably a couple of other things that could be done as well that I'm not thinking of.

10. phat78boy

phat78boy Hall Of Fame

Sep 12, 2007
    Yea, I figure the first thing they will do is limit it to one subnet. Should be fairly easy to capture and forward the packets to a place of your choice though.

11. lukep10

lukep10 Legend

Apr 13, 2007
    Why would anyone want to crack this and potentially take it away as an option for us power users of DirecTV equipment?

So I can't use it on my work computer or at a friends house? Who cares I'm happy to have it as an option on my media center! Call me old fashioned, but I would rather use as intended than risk loosing the sweetest option!

12. phat78boy

phat78boy Hall Of Fame

Sep 12, 2007
    Shouldn't we be testing it completely? lol. There a several times throughout the day when I VPN or remote into my network so I can get media files or watch ORB. It would be very nice if I was able to remote in and watch my DVR shows in HD.

That said, I can understand and would respect it if they did not want you doing that. On the other, if they simply just don't want to support it, I would be more then happy to figure it out myself.

13. VLaslow

VLaslow Active Member

Aug 16, 2006
    I too would like to be able to save content on my PC.

I'd also like to schedule a recording, using the guide, directly from my PC to the DVR

Eventually, I'd like to be able to view the contents of the DVR on my laptop, while on a trip, just as if I had a Slingbox, but without the extra box (could be a DISH competitive advantage?).

Eventually, our testing would help to create a seamless install of the software on both Windows XP and Vista (perhaps MAC's too?). If the software is developed with a "normal" consumer in mind, that can be done.

14. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    I seem to recall them saying that the application would come pre-installed on new computers. My wife got a new HP computer recently and SlingPlayer came pre-installed on it so I would expect DIRECTV to do something similar with some of the hardware vendors.

15. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    I'm not sure whether DIRECTV will limit this to the LAN or allow access similar to SlingPlayer. We'll certainly find out as we test it. However, for me personally, being able to access any of my HR20s via the Internet would be an absolutely killer feature.

I do, however, understand why allowing this could be disconcerting to DIRECTV. Not everyone in the world is honest and while my use could easily be classified as fair-use (even by DIRECTV) there are other things for them to consider.