1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What happened to the tech chat?

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by kstevens, Nov 10, 2009.

1. kstevens

kstevens Icon

Mar 26, 2003
    See title.

Ken

2. butters

butters AllStar

Sep 25, 2007
    I don't see any mention of it here. Did it even air? I forgot to tune in.

3. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    I saw it in the on-screen Guide last night, but didn't watch it.

4. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    I skipped through it this morning. A new low in news. So I just posted this in the Charlie Chat Forum:
    Also posted in the 922 thread about no news.

5. BobaBird

BobaBird EKB Editor

Mar 30, 2002
    Summary at http://www.dishuser.org/tech0911.php

The plan was to get it written last last night, but I used the time instead to get current with a couple of series going back to the end of last season. Feels better being off the razor-thin edge of capacity before shows get auto-erased.

6. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    By the way, that volume leveling change discussed in the chat sounds super swell, except the audio already is full of glitches. I didn't want to report on that until it appears on my 722 in the first quarter of next year when I expect to be reporting on more audio problems instead of having the old ones fixed. The volume thing can be handled by the user with a remote control, but I haven't found any way to hear lost audio in a bad data stream.

7. olguy

olguy Hall Of Fame

Jan 9, 2006
    Did they say if it would work on Dolby? I found an article saying SRS has developed a small unit to plug in between set top boxes and receivers. The problem is it only works on PCM. They are working on one for HDMI and another for multi-channel, ie; surround sound. And the change from PCM to Dolby and back again is a major problem. That in itself causes some commercials to boom when watching a channel that broadcasts programing in Dolby. Not all commercials are in Dolby so you get the jump. And it isn't restricted to commercials so if the Dish version only deals with PCM then big fail. I am, however looking forward the software showing up on my 622 next year. And if the Dish version doesn't deal with surround then may hap SRS will have their stand alone out soon.

8. bigshew

bigshew Legend

Feb 26, 2007
    I guess the other thing of interest to me in the tech chat was the 922 being able to web browse in PIP.
    They showed a wireless keyboard for the 922. Does anyone know if that uses bluetooth or wifi?

9. frankv

frankv Cool Member

Dec 5, 2008
    Anything about the release date? I'd read before that Nov 12 is it, but that appears to have changed.

The Tech Forum summary, under Dish Remote Access, mentions "Available on the 612, 622, 722, 722k." I take it that will include the 922 as well once it is released?

Regarding Sling, it is my understanding that there currently is no Sling Catcher that can receive HD-quality signals. Does this mean that there is no easy way to watch recorded content from the 922 on other TVs in the house (without using something like a HTPC)?

Frank
    A potential Dish customer

10. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Don't know... guess it could be capable of either or both. They did mention wireless monitors at CES too, but no mention of whether those were wifi or bluetooth either.

11. Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
    Scott wrote about the chat on Multichannel News today. I forgot about it too.

12. kckucera

kckucera Legend

Jul 31, 2005
    Boba,
    Thanks so much for the summary. I currently have 622s, do we know if the wireless connectivity on the 922 go beyond the power-line connectivity and be truely wireless this time? I have a whole house surge system that prevents use of any powerline system.
    Thanks
    Ken

13. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Scott's review covers "the highlights" of the chat. He confirms what I understood but found hard to believe about the search function:
    Yeah, it searches your guide and it will also allow you to spend money with Dish.:grin:

About the release, he says:
    That's not what they said, but who's listening? Oh, I was! As I posted above:
    Scott still thinks it will be released before the end of the year. The next Charlie Chat is December 14, 2009. So it's too late for a good Christmas release. So I'd go with the proverbial Dish Network SOON.:rolleyes:

14. Blowgun

Blowgun DHMO User

May 23, 2008
    Western Arc
    "Soon" sounds better than the old Amiga standby of "two more weeks". ;)

15. olguy

olguy Hall Of Fame

Jan 9, 2006
    What, for a device this awsome you don't think they'll speed it up and it will be PRETTY soon?:lol:

16. Blowgun

Blowgun DHMO User

May 23, 2008
    Western Arc
    I hope the leveling works better than the one in my Denon AVR. Audio seems to loose dynamic range, never use it, use remote instead.

17. santoshphenomenal

santoshphenomenal New Member

Nov 12, 2009
    Hi,
    I just wantd to ask
    ?

18. DustoMan

DustoMan Godfather

Jul 16, 2005
    Bluetooth doesn't have nearly enough bandwidth to support HD. It would have to be something like Wifi or Ultra Wide Band. I thought I remember reading back then that is was Wifi.

19. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    I agree... but I don't know if they ever said the wireless monitors would be capable of HD or not. Wouldn't surprise me if they were SD wireless monitors... since I thought they were something like 15-19" monitors I remember.

20. Blowgun

Blowgun DHMO User

May 23, 2008
    Western Arc
    I would never buy a wireless monitor. If I had the need for wireless, maybe a wireless box that you can connect to a monitor. No telling the quality of either device, particularly the monitor, and at least as separates, either one could be replaced with something better.