1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What HD channels are we getting with the new mpeg4 sats?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by captain_video, Mar 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. captain_video

captain_video Icon

Nov 21, 2005
    The title says it all. I've seen post after post telling us that we're supposed to be getting 100 new HD channels from DirecTV but I have yet to see a list of what those channels are going to be. If this has been posted somewhere then I apologize for being redundant. I just want to know if we can expect anything that we'll actually watch or if it will consist mainly of new shopping networks and religious channels.

So what's the real skinny, Earl?

2. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    :(

There is no new definitive news, other then the press releases from CES time.
    We probably won't know until a few weeks before they go live.

3. ScoBuck

ScoBuck Banned User

Mar 5, 2006

From the DirecTV website:
    http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=127160&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=948332&highlight=

4. captain_video

captain_video Icon

Nov 21, 2005
    Ironically, I already get a couple of those HD channels with FIOS, plus HBO Comedy:lol: . The good news is that FX and the Sci-Fi Channel are finally going to HD, which means I'll probably be getting them with FIOS as well. If DTV is including the RSNs in the list of 100 channels then the actual number of new HD channels available in any given household will fall way short of 100, so it's looking like DTV is just playing the numbers game once again.

While they may be providing 100 new channels in HD, the individual viewer will be getting far less than what was implied. I don't care what RSNs or other channels are being provided to other areas of the country. If I can't receive them then they're worthless to me. I'm wondering if the 100 channel tally will also include the missing HD locals that most markets are lacking. I don't believe any single market gets all of the same mpeg4 HD locals they currently get in mpeg2 SD. My decision to switch to FIOS is looking like the right choice the more I hear.

5. Mikey

Mikey Hall Of Fame

Oct 26, 2004
    If only the rest of us had that choice available. :(

6. texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    No, the 100 channels does not include HD locals. Taking the numbers from the published information, each of the two new satellites (DirecTV 10 and 11) that were planned for launch this year has capacity for 75 national HD channels and 500 spotbeamed HD locals. So capacity in total for 150 national HD and 1000 locals. Dates for the satellite launches is still very "fuzzy". The date on most of the satellite launch web sites for DirecTV 10 launch is June, although at least one says July/August. I doubt whether that will be confirmed until Boeing has the satellite almost ready to deliver to the launch site. It will probably take several weeks after launch to move the satellite to its planned orbit and then complete testing.
    DirecTV 11 launch is unknown - the Sea Launch platform that was to be used for DirecTV11 had an "anomaly" in January (a launch rocket exploded) and they have not published a new launch schedule.

The last press release I saw is that DirecTV was negotiating with 70 new HD channels, some of them were listed in the press release that was mentioned earlier, http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=127160&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=948332&highlight=
    Some of the channels will be RSNs, there are already about five or six RSNS that are full-time HD and there are many people eagerly awaiting the move of these RNS to become national HD channels instead of being delivered with locals.

7. captain_video

captain_video Icon

Nov 21, 2005
    So, based on that article, if we want additional HD channels we're going to have to pay even more for them. I can't say I'm surprised that DTV will be adding more pay channels and not so much the channels that regular viewers would like to watch as part of an overall subscription package we already have. At least they won't be robbing bandwidth from other channels we pay for to satisfy NFLST viewers.:rolleyes:

I'm sorry that it's not available in your area. I really don't mean to rub it in. I was shocked to hear that we were getting it before most other areas of the country since I always seem to settle in an area that's at the bottom of everyone's list.

8. thegamer36

thegamer36 Cool Member

Dec 15, 2006
    I am getting sick of this...all I see is Directv is getting 100 HD channels...Where are they? Stop talking and lets get them. I know a Satellite has to be launched, but come on. Talk is cheap. I am not holding my breath for 100 HD channels this year.
    I will believe it when I see them on my TV.

9. matty8199

matty8199 Icon

Dec 4, 2005
    Here's another question that I think is an interesting (and valid) one: Will they be adding new SD channels in MPEG4 as well, such as the rest of the movie channel multiplexes, the MTV digital networks, Nick GAS, etc...?

10. Earl Bonovich

Nov 15, 2005
    Where did you see that in the article?
    Other then the reference to pay the extra for HD from Sunday Ticket, there is no mention of an increase cost (above and beyond what we already pay for HD channels)

Based on some of the lists that have been "posted"... MOST of the new HD channels are HD versions of the channels "regular viewers" watch... Like CNN, National Geographic, and even the Weather channel.

Sure MAX-HD, Starz-HD, Encore-HD will probably be there as well... but there are only so many offereings from the "pay" channels.

11. Earl Bonovich

Nov 15, 2005
    You probably won't see any additional SD channels added, until the convert the existing HD channels to MPEG-4 and move them to the KA SATs.

As the NON-HD boxes, can't tune in the additional two SATs..

12. captain_video

captain_video Icon

Nov 21, 2005
    Sorry, the reference I saw was in the 2nd article, not the 1st. The part about "pay packages" is what stuck in my mind. When you start tallying up the HD channels being included in the various pay packages and spread across numerous markets, it starts to look like slim pickin's for any one specific market without having to buy into a sports or premium package. The HD premium channels should have been provided all along, IMHO.

When you consider some of the channels listed as going to HD, you start to wonder why. Sure, you'll get to see the various CNN anchors in Hi-Def but the vast majority of news clips and remote shots will still be in SD. The same holds true for the Weather Channel and many others. I know that DTV has absolutely no control over the provider's content but calling some of them HD is somewhat ludicrous when you realize that they'll probably be HD only on a part-time basis. To be fair, I don't know of too many channels that are in HD 100% of the time, but there are a few. TNT-HD is pretty much of a joke and is a perfect example of what I'm talking about. I wonder how many more of the so-called HD channels will be shown in Stretch-o-Vision.

You also need to consider that a lot of cable and sat channels broadcast older programming which was never shot in HD. If it was filmed and there are still decent prints available then they should be able to transmit a decent quality image. The point being that DirecTV is throwing meaningless numbers at us just to make themselves sound good. They should be telling us how many HD channels each household will actually have access to, not how many they'll be adding to the total. I don't know how many HD local channels DTV is carrying at the moment but I figure it's somewhere around 150 or more, of which we can get a whopping four mpeg4 channels in my market!

The list of national HD channels contained 16 channels that everyone can get, out of which I watch exactly three. I certainly don't expect DTV to cater just to my tastes because I'm sure there are lots of subscribers that watch most, if not all, of the aforementioned 16 channels. I do have to say that I'm glad that the three channels I do watch will soon be available in HD, but I would like to see more. Like you said, if they're not available they can't make them up. I'd just like to see them be a bit more realistic in the way they're reporting their new lineup. Right now they're telling me that 100 new channels are coming but I'll only be able to see 16 or so national channels plus whatever else I want to pay for.

I apologize for the rant since it's pretty much meaningless in my situation anyway, especially since I've dropped DTV to switch to FIOS. I'm really hoping that DTV has something better to offer down the road in case I ever want to switch back. As it stands, they're not showing me much to bring me back to the fold. I know it's going to take quite a few years but I expect to see FIOS as a real threat to DTV's existence if and when they ever expand across the country like cable has. I definitely see them giving cable a run for their money. I do believe that DirecTV and Dish have a lock on rural areas not served by either hardwired service since they are probably the only provider available to lots of folks.

13. oldfantom

oldfantom Icon

Mar 13, 2006
    Maybe. Did anyone notice that all but a couple of the SuperBowl commercials where in HD? On the local news this morning, I was able to see a building burn down in HD. I got into HD way to early. I did it for football, but it was still too early. But, objectively, I can now see the changes.

I perdict you will start seeing clips in HD. You will stop seeing the "HD" bars on 80% of the ESPN shows. You will also stop seeing the market for a lot of the old syndicated gems. I was a kid at the tail end of the black and white to color conversion. This is starting to look like that.

The content is coming, it is hard for those of us who spent thousands of dollars on our equipment to be patient, but it is happening.

14. captain_video

captain_video Icon

Nov 21, 2005
    I agree with what you're saying for new content. However, it's going to take time and money before any provider will be able to go 100% HD. I'd find it unlikely that your local news station will be able to afford HD cameras for all of their news crews just so they can cover the local PTA Mom getting a special award from the kids at school.

The channels I were referring to are those that rely heavily on old syndicated TV programming, like Nick at Nite. I don't see any of them ever making the switch to HD simply because the source material was never recorded with HD in mind. If it was done on film, as many old shows were, it may transition over to HD fairly well. Anything recorded on videotape back then won't look particularly good when shown on an HDTV set.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.