1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is/are the HD satellite(s) for Wash DC?

Discussion in 'DISH™ High Definition Discussion' started by frankv, Dec 8, 2008.

1. frankv

frankv Cool Member

Dec 5, 2008
    Hi,

I'm considering a switch from cable to satellite, and my initial focus was on DirecTV because in the past the satellite location (of Dish) was an issue for me.
    But now, with the (supposedly) better HD DVRs of Dish and the launch of new satellites, I better check out all my options first.

I live in the Wash DC metro area (Maryland, south east of DC). Which satellite(s) do I need for Dish, especially HD? I'm hoping the answer is Dish 1000.4 (61.5W, 72.7W, 77W), as that's pretty much the only one I could get without demolishing the neighbor's house ;) based on what's shown on dishpointer.com.

Thx,
    Frank

2. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Yes ... DC is "Eastern Arc" ... looking generally south or southeast rather than southwest.

3. frankv

frankv Cool Member

Dec 5, 2008
    Does that give me standard, HD, and HD locals all in one antenna?

4. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    On MPEG4 equipment (ViP series) ... yes.

Non-ViP equipment would see very little from the Eastern Arc.

5. frankv

frankv Cool Member

Dec 5, 2008
    As a new subscriber, hopefully that's what they would give me.

Speaking of equipment, If I want something like the multi-room viewing they are talking about in the DirecTV forums, should I wait for the new receivers to come out (722/922)? Ideally I'd like to record HD sat programming onto my Windows Home Server PC and stream from there via media extenders to TVs without DVRs, but DRM seems to be the roadblock.

6. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    The 722k is next ... and at this point isn't much more feature laden than a 722 (although dual OTA tuners will be nice).

DISH isn't sharing video from their receivers ... the closest you could come is catching the outputs (HDMI / Component - whatever the Media Center can handle) for a separate recording.