1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is DirecTV On Demand?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by rbmcgee, Oct 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rbmcgee

rbmcgee Legend

Sep 18, 2007
    I never had it and don't understand what it is. Could someone be so kind as to explain?

2. mocciat

mocciat Icon

Oct 17, 2006
    It's D* version of Video on Demand.

3. phat78boy

phat78boy Hall Of Fame

Sep 12, 2007
    It is a new service from D* that that will allow you to download shows\movies from different D* content providers. For example you could turn to Showtime's On Demand channel and download their shows or currently running movies. Once the download is complete it will be available for playback like any other show recorded on a DVR. It will require a DVR and the DVR will have to be connected to the Internet. Typical download for regular SD shows is currently running about the same time as a show. So a 30 minute show takes about 30 minutes to download. You are able to watch the show just a few minutes after you start the download.

4. rbmcgee

rbmcgee Legend

Sep 18, 2007
    I guess that's my question. What's video-on-demand?

Is it the ability to download shows that have already been broadcast? All shows? From how long ago?

5. phat78boy

phat78boy Hall Of Fame

Sep 12, 2007
    The content is really up to the content provider. The items currently available are items that are currenlty being broadcast. So instead of waiting for it to replay, you can just start the download.

6. rbmcgee

rbmcgee Legend

Sep 18, 2007
    That's phat78boy,

Is this service free? Does it only contain things already broadcast?

7. Blurayfan

Blurayfan Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Illinois
    The shows available varies depending upon what the content provider wishes to release. Starz has Early Premiers where some movies will be on Starz on Demand even before airing on the Starz channels. The length of time any program remains available depends on the licensing terms from the provider.

8. Blurayfan

Blurayfan Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Illinois
    Access to the service will be FREE, but there will be PPV content available to download. If there is an on demand service for a channel you currently subscribe to you can download the programs they make available for free.

9. rbmcgee

rbmcgee Legend

Sep 18, 2007
    The reason I'm interested is that I've an HR20-100 and the CE will enable this capability and I didn't even know what it was much less if it is of interest to me.

As I don't even have any movie channels (and would never PPV a movie), it sounds like I wouldn't benefit. I do find it interesting that everyone else is doing flips over this capability and I couldn't care less.

10. Blurayfan

Blurayfan Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Illinois
    The premium networks are not the only content providers. Many of the basic channels are also releasing material through on demand. TLC, Discovery, History, National Geographic channel, and many more.
    List Of Vod Channels!

11. rbmcgee

rbmcgee Legend

Sep 18, 2007
    I see. So i can go into the channels I would be interested in and see if I possibly missed something. That sounds cool. If they were originally broadcast in HD would the VOD be HD as well?

12. mexican-bum

mexican-bum "Jack Of All Trades, Master Of Some"

Feb 25, 2006
    right now there is very little HD, but expect more HD when released:) Its beta testing right now

13. rbmcgee

rbmcgee Legend

Sep 18, 2007
    Hmmmm. Downloading the CE will be the easy part. Running a line to the HR20 will be the tougher part although this may be worth it after all.

14. Blurayfan

Blurayfan Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Illinois
    If you have a wireless router you could go the wireless route with a wireless ethernet bridge.

15. skohly

skohly AllStar

Mar 14, 2007
    Will the DVR need be hard wired with cat5e or can it work with a wireless router?

16. Blurayfan

Blurayfan Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Illinois
    A wireless router would work if you use a wireless bridge. The HR20 can't use a wireless adapter.

17. Bowtaz3

Bowtaz3 Legend

Sep 8, 2007
    Ok all you good folks, I have another question for you regarding this. Say I have 2 seperate phonelines in my house. One is hooked up to broadband, the other dialup. The account is in my parents name and their line that the DTV is hooked to is the dialup line. Mine is broadband. If I hooked an ethernet cable from my router to my DVR would DTV say no you can't do that because of it not being their #? Or does that matter? I hope I made sense lol. Thanks all.

18. MIAMI1683

MIAMI1683 New Member

Jul 11, 2007
    Hey no offense, but I would like to know what conection speed you are running. The reason is I tested my speed last night 7.8 mbps at home, and it is taking me alot longer for VOD to download. I am hard wired with a cat6 cable now and it takes me more like 4 hrs to download a 2 hr movie. I am also sure people I know don't have speeds at home that fast so help me understand it a little more please.

19. MIAMI1683

MIAMI1683 New Member

Jul 11, 2007
    maybe I am setup wrong is why I am asking

20. MikeR

MikeR Hall Of Fame

Oct 5, 2006

You can hookup your broadband to your (parent's) DVR. (or even your neighbor's wireless if they don't secure their network;);) )

for those interested in a detailed review....
    Earl's First Look at Directv on Demand

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.