1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is everyone using to network their dvrs?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Tidalcloud, Nov 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nov 2, 2007 #1 of 108
    Tidalcloud

Tidalcloud Mentor

Sep 18, 2007
    the sticks...
    I'd like to network it along with a couple of additional pieces of equipment in the rack (my new Denon receiver and Pioneer plasma are networkable as well). Looking for some opinions on what works well? I don't have ethernet into the area but would consider running it if hardwired is significantly better than wireless.

2. Nov 2, 2007 #2 of 108
    houskamp

houskamp New Member

Sep 14, 2006
    Hardwired is definately the prefered way.. If you can get 1 line over there just buy a switch to hook them all up..

3. Nov 2, 2007 #3 of 108
    MikeekiM

MikeekiM Godfather

Oct 1, 2006
    I had a CAT5 cable already run to my living room for my XBox360... I put a LinkSys 5-port switch in and have the HR20 hardwired to my network... I love the wired LAN connection for everything I do...it is consistent and dependable...

My Wii would also be hardwired if it did not come built in with wireless capabilities... I am not quite willing to spend more money for a wired lan adapter for the Wii... At least not until the network demands really start taxing my wireless connection...

4. Nov 2, 2007 #4 of 108
    brian188

brian188 Legend

Oct 13, 2007
    Agreed running a cable and switch is ideal and probably cheapest. Another option is to get a wireless router and connect it wirelessly (WDS) to your existing router. If your existing router is capable. This would be a great way to extend your wireless range if that is something you're looking to do. It will also be cheap. The 3rd option (likely more expensive and least reliable) get a wireless adapter (gaming adapter) and connect it to switch, then connect all your equipment.

5. Nov 2, 2007 #5 of 108
    flipptyfloppity

flipptyfloppity New Member

Aug 20, 2007
    I use gigabit ethernet. My HR20-100 doesn't utilize more than 100mbit mode (nor do my Wii or 360), but my Mac Mini and PS3 utilize the full GigE capability. It's nice to copy files from my PC in the other room to my Mac Mini. The files go over at about 30 megaBYTES a second.

If you can't tell, I'm a big fan of wired. I use WiFi for my laptops (I'm using it right now), but for machines that I don't move around, I get them on wired, including buying the wired adapter for the Wii. It has lower latency, higher throughput, is more secure and a bit more reliable.

Yes, it took some effort to wire my house for ethernet, but once I did it, I never regretted it.

6. Nov 2, 2007 #6 of 108
    Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    I go hardwired wherever possible, just takes out the whole wireless layer of the network. Wireless certainly has it's uses .. taking the laptop around the house, etc. and if you cannot easily get a wired solution to your entertainment area, a wireless bridge is perfect. However .. given the choice, I'd take wired every time.

7. Nov 2, 2007 #7 of 108
    BkwSoft

BkwSoft Legend

Oct 18, 2007
    I would definatly go with hard wired connections. At least 100 MB Preferably GigE, especially if you plan on putting a workgroup switch at the rack side of things. As you start streaming video and other media to and from the rack with multiple devices you could saturate a 100MB back haul rather easily let alone wireless link.

When I bought my house 10 years ago one of the first things I did was fish wire in the walls to every room. Each wall plate has a minimum of 2 RG6QS, 1 Cat 5 for phone, and 1 cat 5e for Ethernet. Other locations have more coax and or Network drops as I had seen fit.

I'm always a bit paranoid when it comes to wireless networks. In my case I use it only for the laptop computers. I have the wireless network issolated from the wired network and internet. The only thing you can do on the wireless network is VPN into the wired network where you can then access the internet.

8. Nov 2, 2007 #8 of 108
    jeff125va

jeff125va Godfather

Jun 4, 2007
    I just ordered a switch that should arrive today. My home theater rack is in the unfinished area of my basement, across the room from my central audio/video/networking panel. All I have to do is run one cable across the ceiling and down to the rack where I'll put the switch. There's a jack right next to the rack that runs to the room where the XBOX 360 is located (we just got XBOX Live this week). It's just serendipitous that the jack is there because I have CAT-5 running from the central panel to the xbox room, I just hadn't connected the jacks yet, so I can avoid doing that indefinitely now. Perfect timing needing the switch for XBOX Live and the HR20's with DoD coming out this week.

9. Nov 2, 2007 #9 of 108
    Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Slinglink Turbo works great. Cheaper than having your house rewired, more expensive than buying a Buffalo Wireless Ethernet adapter.

10. Nov 2, 2007 #10 of 108
    Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook Lifetime Achiever

Apr 1, 2007
    Linksys wireless game adapter works great for me... no problems at all!

11. Nov 2, 2007 #11 of 108
    bakers12

bakers12 ΔS > 0

May 29, 2007
    Chicago -...
    If you are going to use Media Share, it makes sense to hard wire your network connection. This will give you better bandwidth to your PC. If your primary reason for networking is Video on Demand, then it doesn't matter if you use a wireless setup because your Internet connection will limit the bandwidth.

12. Nov 2, 2007 #12 of 108
    tooloud10

tooloud10 Legend

Sep 23, 2007
    I've been thinking about the same thing. Right now I have an 802.11b bridge on my HR20, but I do want to use the Media Share and MRV function. I don't think I can get an ethernet cable fished, but I may try a powerline ethernet solution.

Does anyone have any experience with these? Will I get a better connection over the powerline adapter than the wireless adapter? Will it be almost as good as a "regular" wired connection?

13. Nov 2, 2007 #13 of 108
    hasan

hasan Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    Hardwired is best. I have a network run from behind my home theater to my router in the basement: HT network switch > 40' cable > Basement network switch > Router

HR20 > 5' Cat 5 > Network Switch at HT > 40' Cat 5 > Network Switch > Router
    Wireless Access Point > Network Switch (same HT one as above)

With this, my wireless laptop behind the couch is my media server for my HR20.

14. Nov 2, 2007 #14 of 108
    fancydancy

fancydancy Legend

Nov 29, 2005
    I am using my Squeezebox as a wireless bridge to connect my HR20 to my wireless 802.11g network.

(For those that don't know what a Squeezebox is, it's a network device that can stream music from my PC or internet.)

15. Nov 2, 2007 #15 of 108
    Tidalcloud

Tidalcloud Mentor

Sep 18, 2007
    the sticks...
    I have a wired / wireless network in the house now. Wireless pre-N running four hardwired 100 connections via cat 5e. I just don't have anything run into the two equipment areas and I'm debating whether to run something or just add a wireless router to the area. Sounds like wired is the way to go if I can get there. I'd like to go GigE at some point with an active wireless N (or draft N until it's ratified). My understanding is that you need Cat6 to take full advantage of GigE.

16. Nov 2, 2007 #16 of 108
    jeff125va

jeff125va Godfather

Jun 4, 2007
    I'm not exactly sure what your "full" qualifier means, but the GigE switch I just bought just states that Cat-5e is required for 1000GB. From the glossary in the manual:

Nowhere in the manual is Cat-6 even mentioned. But that's all I know; I'm by no means an expert.

17. Nov 2, 2007 #17 of 108
    islesfan

islesfan Hall Of Fame

Oct 18, 2006
    Nevada
    Game adapter to the HR21, then CAT 5 from the 21 to the HR20. The HR21 works flawlessly via the game adapter, but the HR20 has always (even before I got the 21) been iffy at best. Songs quit, break up. I have to reset the HR20 once every 3-5 days to get media share back, whereas it ALWAYS works on the HR21.

Note: I'm using a ViiV PC like it was designed for.

18. Nov 2, 2007 #18 of 108
    Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo Lifetime Achiever

Oct 20, 2006
    Two HR20's wired and one wireless connected with a Linksys WGA54G game adapter.

For more detail and wire diagram look at the link in my signature.

19. Nov 2, 2007 #19 of 108
    wingrider01

wingrider01 Hall Of Fame

Sep 9, 2005
    went a little over the top when I rehabbed, have 4 cat 6e runs, 2 voice runs and 2 speaker wire runs in a plate with 2 plates per wall that are pulled to a central patch panel in the basement which houses a CISCO 3560G 10/100/1000 48 port switch:) Sad thing about it in the TV area I had to put another switch in, there where not enough runs there with the new VOD

20. Nov 2, 2007 #20 of 108
    rsonnens

rsonnens Legend

Nov 7, 2006
    In my setup I don't have a hardwired connection near my TV/DVR. But I do have a Mac Mini (as a media computer connect to my TV/Receiver) that uses its built-in wireless airport to get to the internet.

I plug my HR20 to the Mac Mini (using a regular enet cable not a cross-over enet cable), activate the enet-port on the mini and turn on internet sharing on the MacOS (Leopard for me, but this should work on 10.4 as well.)

Then I assigned the DVR an enet address on this new subnet. For picking the correct enet address I followed instructions below:

Open up Terminal (in Applications -> Utilities) and type "ifconfig en0" (zero, not a capital-o). You're looking for the bit that says "inet xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx". In my case, the number I get here is 192.168.2.1 Second, note down the IP address of your wireless router, which in my case is 192.168.0.1​

Using this info I pick the enet address on the HR20 to be "192.168.2.2" and a gateway address of "192.168.2.1" and for the DNS i point to my main home wireless router which in my case has an address of "192.168.1.1". Other than the Mac this is the only device on this network subnet, the Mac is at address "192.168.2.1" and I just hard code the DVR to a new address that does not confict on this subnet. Oh, and the network mask should be 255.255.255.0

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.