1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

What Is Going On With Sportsnet Ny??

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by dave26262, Mar 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dave26262

dave26262 Cool Member

May 12, 2003
    Does anyone know if D* or E* will carry SNY on its launchdate of 3/16 or the status of ongoing negotiations? I thought Directv would have this done already. thanks, dave.

2. skaeight

skaeight Icon

Jan 15, 2004
    http://www.nypost.com/sports/63064.htm

Towards the bottom:

3. ansky

ansky Hall Of Fame

Oct 11, 2005
    You can't really go by what is printed in the Post though. They had an article about a month ago saying that D* had reached a deal with SNY. Clearly that was not true.

4. BobMurdoch

BobMurdoch Hall Of Fame

Apr 24, 2002
    I'm getting nervous here. I'm hoping E* just isn't ceding all of the New York baseball fans to D*. I understand that Steingrabber was being way unreasonable with their demands. I hear that the Mets are asking about $1.60 a subscriber, which is still a $1.60 more than E* had to pay last year. I don't know if MSG/FSNY has to give any money back since they lost the baseball content.

5. matty8199

matty8199 Icon

Dec 4, 2005
    If they're asking for only $1.60 per sub, I can't see what the holdup is (although I'd guess it's that SNY wants to be TC and TC+ within the Mets territory).

Another thing to consider is the very real possibility that Fred Wilpon might buy the Islanders - if that happens it's possible he could buy out their contract with FSNY and put them on SNY, giving them winter programming. In that respect, length of the carriage deal might be a sticking point as well (SNY might want a shorter deal so they can raise prices later, while D* might be aware of that possibility and want to lock them into a longer term deal).

6. BobMurdoch

BobMurdoch Hall Of Fame

Apr 24, 2002
    The holdup is that Charlie is already probably paying $3-4 for the other two RSNs in New York that are a shadow of their former selves...... (No Nets, Yankees, Mets, and whomever else I am missing)

7. matty8199

matty8199 Icon

Dec 4, 2005
    Check your forum... :)

8. Rkw1111

Rkw1111 Cool Member

Mar 14, 2006

Fred Wilpon is NOT planning on buying the Islanders. He is in a dogfight with the owner of the Islanders, Charles Wang (Computer Associates) to see which of the two will win the rights to develop the area around the Isles home, Nassau Coliseum, including rebuilding or refurbishing the arena. The deal has nothing to do with ownership of the Isles, as Wang has no desire to sell, and certainly not to Wilpon.

Furthermore, the Isles are contracted with FoxSports New York/Cablevision for years to come.

9. BobMurdoch

BobMurdoch Hall Of Fame

Apr 24, 2002
    Apologies...... Clicking on "New Posts" took me here.....

Hey Mods, How about a "New Dish Network Posts" button?

10. ansky

ansky Hall Of Fame

Oct 11, 2005
    Furthermore the Islanders are probably the least watched professional sports team in the NY area. I don't think they have much pull around here.

11. BobMurdoch

BobMurdoch Hall Of Fame

Apr 24, 2002
    If you are from Long Island, they are important to you. Otherwise, New Yorkers watch the Rangers, and NJ folks watch the Devils.

If I had to choose though, I'd ditch both FSNY and MSG to get my Mets channel.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.