1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is involved in Standard Installation

Discussion in 'DIRECTV SD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by crkeehn, Feb 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crkeehn

crkeehn Godfather

Apr 22, 2002
    What is covered with the standard installation if I take advantage of DirecTV's PVR offer for current subscribers?

I currently have a round dish feeding two standard receivers. One of the receivers would be replaced by the DVR. Would the installation include running the second line and a switch?

TIA

2. MikeHDTulsa

MikeHDTulsa AllStar

Nov 10, 2003
    Yes, when you buy the receivers from DirecTV they provide what ever it takes to make the new receivers work including the second line and switches. Your going to love the DVR but it takes a while to get used to the slow guide.

3. UnnDunn

UnnDunn AllStar

Oct 27, 2002
    When I called to order our PVR, I was advised that the free installation would include running an extra line to anywhere in the house (within reason) but that any undue complications would require a fee negotiated between us and the installer.

The installer did not run the extra line, however. We've complained to D* about that.

4. trnsfrguy

trnsfrguy Legend

Nov 10, 2004
    That's a great question...
    I'm thinking of getting a pvr, but like you , I have a round dish with two receivers and wondered if DirecTV would supply all that was needed to connect the pvr and an additional receiver.

5. crkeehn

crkeehn Godfather

Apr 22, 2002
    Mike, thank you. That is exactly what the DirecTV CSR told me. He said the standard installation included anything that was required to make the DVR fully functional, including a multiswitch or new dish if needed.

I was surprised at how quickly they were able to schedule installation. I called this afternoon and have a scheduled 8am-noon slot tomorrow. I am looking forward to joining the world of DVR, especially now that the boiz can watch Disney Channel and I can record anything that conflicts OR, I can record the Disney Movie after their bedtime and still watch anything I want.

6. crkeehn

crkeehn Godfather

Apr 22, 2002
    The installer came just about when he was scheduled and finished my installation. He did install the switch and second line for the second tuner. As near as I can tell, the satellite signal is as strong as before so the switch doesn't appear to make any difference.

He installed a Samsung 4080, rather than the R10.

7. goodcableguy

goodcableguy Legend

Feb 19, 2004
    Some things that are not included are burying cable, going under sidewalks, pole mounts unless required for line of sight, and fishing cable in walls. They will also not run cable from one receiver to feed multiple TVs from that receivers.

8. PHL

PHL Legend

Jul 15, 2004
    Curious, what did D* do about the situation? When my brother-in-law got a DTivo, the installer did not run a second line. He complained to D* and they sent out another installer at no charge.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.