1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is it about snow and french toast?

Discussion in 'The OT' started by wilbur_the_goose, Dec 18, 2009.

1. wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose Hall Of Fame

Aug 16, 2006
    I've lived in Philly since '93, and they do something on local TV that still amazes me. Every time it's supposed to snow, they show numerous stores about scared citizens running to grocery stores to buy: Milk, Bread, and Eggs...

What does that mean - there are a lot of folks eating a lot of french toast every time it snows in Philly.

So - what does your town eat when it snows?

PS - Philly TV also has a knack for showing the salt trucks loading up and interviewing plow drivers who always say the same thing, "We're going to be really busy and will do everything we can to help keep the roads open."

Being from Buffalo, I still can't belive how wimpy my fellow Philadelphians are when it comes to snow. Come on - I live 8 miles from Valley Forge (remember - that really cold place that the US troops spent the winter of 1777 at)

2. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    Yeah - it happens here in Raleigh as well - have a bad weather event, and the store are cleaned out of "french toast" :D

3. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    I guess they have an endless supply of maple syrup and never need to buy it.

4. jeffshoaf

jeffshoaf Icon

Jun 17, 2006
    Instead of predicting the inches of snow or ice, the morning DJs on a local radio station used to forecast the number of loaves of bread you'd need to make it through a winter storm!

I usually go to the grocery store on Thursdays, but didn't make it this Thursday and went yesterday afternoon on the way home from work after the snow storm had started here in north-central NC (n-c NC?); I expected a milk shortage and figured I'd have to get a couple of nearly expired pints of milk to make it through the weekend. There was a huge crowd at the store and the bread aisle was pretty bare, but the milk and the egg refrigerators were well stocked - I was shocked!

5. elaclair

elaclair Rescued Racers Live Here

Jun 18, 2004
    Del Mar, CA
    Whenever we hear about a big snow storm coming, we all run out to buy energy bars, chapstick and sunscreen........

6. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Being the infernal optimist, at the first snowfall I reach deep down in the dirty laundry
    basket to fetch my speedos, knowing that summer has to be right around the corner.

:p

7. MikeW

MikeW Hall Of Fame

May 16, 2002
    What snow? Tucson forecast ...

Today
    Mostly sunny. Highs 67 to 72.

Sunday
    Sunny in the morning then becoming partly cloudy. Highs 70 to 75.

Gotta put on shorts and a t-shirt so I can go out Christmas shopping. Just can't forget the sunscreen :)

8. BubblePuppy

BubblePuppy Good night dear Smoke... love you & "got your butt

Nov 3, 2006
    Phhttttttt. :D

9. Rob-NovA

Rob-NovA Icon

Jan 10, 2008
    Here in the DC area it's always bread, milk and TP. Something about french toast that I never knew, apparently... :lol:

10. BubblePuppy

BubblePuppy Good night dear Smoke... love you & "got your butt

Nov 3, 2006

Do they put the TP on the bread before or after the egg dip?
    :lol:

11. Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Unless it was a major blizzard, Green Bay didn't even shrug. No biggie when I was growing.

Here in Salt Lake, we don't do much either--we're a semi-arid climate. Big snow in the valley is 6 inches--which will most likely melt or sublime tomorrow. :)

Cheers,
    Tom

12. Rob-NovA

Rob-NovA Icon

Jan 10, 2008
    Beats me. It never made sense to me, and I've been here almost 20 years!

13. mystic7

mystic7 Icon

Dec 9, 2007
    Apparently snow storms unleash an inner craving for dairy products. As for PA being snow wimps, wilbur-the-goose, it's nothing to do with being a wimp. I'm sure PA doesn't put anywhere near the budget for snow removal that Buffalo does. There are probably people in Alberta that laugh at Buffalonians. If a half inch fell in Miami it would be a disaster because no one has snow tires and there is no budget to salt the roads. So stop being so damn macho ;)

btw, in case you missed it, parts of Alaska had 5 FEET, 8 inches of snow yesterday!

14. dave29

dave29 New Member

Feb 18, 2007
    People around here freak out too, and most of it is because it is over-hyped by the news/radio.

They declared a "level 2 snow emergency" before the first snow flake even hit.

Kids get dismissed from school early and school is called for an inch of snow.

I remember when I was a kid, (and I lived out in the country) being picked up by the bus in the morning when there was 4 inches of snow on the roads.

People freak out now for some reason. :shrug:

15. Rob-NovA

Rob-NovA Icon

Jan 10, 2008
    Well, at least you had a bus. I had to walk up hill both ways... :D

16. dave29

dave29 New Member

Feb 18, 2007
    With plastic bags over your shoes because they were full of holes. :)

17. Rob-NovA

Rob-NovA Icon

Jan 10, 2008
    Who said anything about shoes? :lol:

18. mystic7

mystic7 Icon

Dec 9, 2007
    Or plastic bags!?! ;)

btw, my school also faced uphill, so I had to walk uphill both ways AND walk uphill to get to the blackboard! :D

19. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    I didn't have to worry about these problems, but I did have to feed my horse during recess....:icon_an:

20. Supramom2000

Supramom2000 In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

Jun 20, 2007
    Colbert, WA
    We have so many snow storms that we never have food shortages or lines at the stores. But last year was the worst ever. For the first time in over 20 years, the school district my kids go to, which is the furthest north in Spokane County, closed due to snow. They actually closed for an entire week because we had so much snow!!