1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

What is MPEG4?

Discussion in 'DISH™ High Definition Discussion' started by cg0789, Aug 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cg0789

cg0789 New Member

Mar 9, 2004
    I know it is a stupid question, I hear it being used in the fourms, but I am interested to know more about it. (Note: I am just a customer from Dish, so try not to use many "technical" terms). ;)

2. Darkman

Darkman Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 16, 2002
    i believe it's a new format (maybe compression, etc)

more tighter so to speak..

Like presently we are using Mpeg-2 .. Mpeg-2 receivers...

So if / when Mpeg-4 comes out.. new receivers will more likely be needed... Mpeg-4 ones...

Mpeg-4 will allow DISH to put something like twice as many channels on a transponder than current Mpeg-2 ...

P.S. I could be not 100 % accurate or correct even on my explanation above :)

3. JohnH

JohnH Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    The actual term for what will be used is thought to be H264 which is an extension of Mpeg4.

It apparently provides more efficient use of the bits, resulting in less bandwidth being required for a given Picture Quality.

4. Bill R

Bill R Hall Of Fame

Dec 20, 2002
    Both DirecTV and DISH Network will be moving to MPEG-4 Layer 10, H.264 (also called MPEG-4 AVC) compression for their HD channels. MPEG-4 AVC will deliver more quality for the same amount of bits so both vendors will be able to deliver more HD channels from their satellites.

For the near term (3 to 6 years?) the SD channels channels will continue to use MPEG-2 compression.

The September, 2005, issue of Home Theater magazine has a very good article on MPEG-4 and the many uses (satellite, DVDs, digital cable, video over DSL) that it may be used for in the future.

5. navychop

navychop Legend

Jul 13, 2005
    I believe both satellite providers have announced the change over is to take about 3 years.

6. PAULSTORM

PAULSTORM Mentor

Nov 1, 2005
    I've read where they will be adding more HD channels as in the locals with MPEG4. Will they also be adding more HD channels from the cable channels like a USA, Lifetime, TBS, etc?

7. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    The 3 channels you mentioned dont have HD versions yet....until USA actually HAS an HD version, noone can carry it!!!

Here is a list of what is available nationally..

http://www.hdtvprimer.com/ISSUES/what_prog_avail.html

The only thing missing from that list seems to be the VOOM HD stations available from E*...

8. paulcdavis

paulcdavis Legend/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jan 22, 2004
    The current video encoding system MPEG2 (also used in DVDs) is a frame based compression scheme that (in simple terms) encodes the changes from frame to frame, instead of encoding each frame of video.

MPEG4 is an object based encoding and compression scheme that breaks up the video stream into objects and encodes them separately. This results in greater compression since you can use your bandwidth more efficiently by using more bits for moving objects (i.e. people), and less bits on fixed backgrounds.

http://www.chiariglione.org/mpeg/

has more detailed info on MPEG encoding.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.