1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Is Mpeg4?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by cardpetree, Jan 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cardpetree

cardpetree Cool Member

Jan 11, 2006
    Can one of u veterans please explain what MPEG4 is, and help out with some of the lingo like OTA, and other things that I have know idea what you're talking about.

2. jmarks2001

jmarks2001 New Member

Jan 11, 2006
    I'm hardly a veteran, but MPEG4 is a more advanced compression scheme that, in the case of satellite tv, allows the same amount of data to be sent (as MPEG2 for instance), but using less bandwidth. This requires hardware on the other end of the transmission (your satellite receiver) to be able decode the MPEG4 encryption.

OTA = Over the Air. Simply put, its the traditional method of receiving television and radio broadcasts (as opposed to cable or satellite).

3. cardpetree

cardpetree Cool Member

Jan 11, 2006

What is the advantage? Should I be upgrading from my original samsung HD receiver and why?

4. olgeezer

olgeezer Guest

Dec 5, 2003
    Does your Samsung HD receiver pick up channels from anywhere other than an antenna?

5. cardpetree

cardpetree Cool Member

Jan 11, 2006

I have DirecTV w/HD package and I get regular locals on sat and some local HD channels w/antenna.

6. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    At a bare minimum, you dont have to worry about MPEG4 at all until D* starts offering other national HD channels in MPEG4 only or until your locals are offered in HD whcih will almost certainly be MPEG4. Until then, based on the current info here that I have read, there is no reason to worry or even be concerned with MPEG4....Louisville is like #50 DMA so its'll be awhile b4 they get around to you for that...If they start adding new national HD's that require MPEG4 capable equipment, since you are already an HD customer, they will undoubtedly let you know...

7. cardpetree

cardpetree Cool Member

Jan 11, 2006

Is there anything besides a D* HD DVR Tivo that I should upgrade to? Anybody know why CBSHD would work the whole summer and as soon as Fall comes around it just completely stops coming in?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.