1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is normal for heat and fans?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by my1423, Oct 22, 2009.

1. my1423

my1423 Godfather

May 16, 2009
    Few questions about heat and fans.

Its cool in my house at around 75 degrees. All of my equipment sets on top of my big screens in the open air with nothing around to block airflow and they sit on the room temperature tv wood cabinet.

I have a leased hr23-700. Its slightly warm to the touch on top and sides. The bottom is warmer than i would like but im not too concerned. Info says internal temp is 120 degrees. The fan is on but very slow and quiet. Had too look to be sure. Recording hd at the time.
    Seems to me this is normal, Is it?

I have a r22-100 hd. I own it so it sits on a laptop cooler. I did this with All of my old Ultimate tv units for they had costly tuner issues if they got too warm so im being cautious. The case is cool to the touch on top and sides. The bottom is just slightly warm. Way cooler then the hr23. Internal Fan is on low and quite, and again had to look to be sure. Internal temp from the info screen says 100 degrees. Recording hd at the time.
    I assume better then normal.

Now the issue im worried about. Just got a r16-500 as a replacement owned unit. Its refurbished. Scuffed up and has some big scratches. Not too happy with the looks but its for kids so that does not worry me. Miffs yes. It is hot to the touch on top and sides. The bottom is near molten. I cant leave my hand on it too long. The info says internal temp of 120 degrees. The fan is NOT ON!! Was recording 2 channels at that time.
    Is this an issue? Seems like a defect. I would think the fan should at least be on. Are these units always hot to the touch?
    Should i call for a replacement or just wait it out?
    Thanks

2. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    That's pretty hot for a 21 (the 23 is, at heart, a 21). That's about what a 20's temp would be.

My 21-700s run at about 106 degrees. I'd check to see exactly what they temp they are at, but they all have eSATAs on them and the temp reads 77 degrees constantly with an eSATA hooked up to a 21, 22 or 23 and the fan shuts off. That's normal and they don't get hot.

Rich

3. rudeney

rudeney Hall Of Fame

May 28, 2007
    Uh, that's not cool - we keep ours at 68F or below, year around. ;)

My HR20's all run over 120F with no problems at all (oldest is 3 yrs, newest is 1 yr).

I also had problems with my old UTV's as the design was just simply defective. This isn't the case with the HR2x's. They can overheat, but only because of some other failure (i.e. the fan) or operator error (kept closed up in a hot cabinet). Besides, with leased receviers, all it takes is one quick phone call an $19.95 S&H (or $0 with the PP) to have it relaced.

It sounds like the fan has failed. I doubt D* would replace it just for that, but if it does start acting up, I would not hesitate to call and mention how hot it is.

4. say-what

say-what Active Member

Dec 14, 2006
    New Orleans
    I'd call and tell them that the unit is so hot to the touch that you're worried about it being a fire hazard - besides being scuffed up, I wouldn't want a piece of equipment that is running that hot.

5. my1423

my1423 Godfather

May 16, 2009
    :lol: I live in the desert. It was almost 85 yesterday so 75 at 6 pm was nice. Pretty cold last night, about 55 in the house and 68 outside right now. Got pretty chilly last night. Might have to fire the heater soon. Better then 125 any day! :D

I figured the hr23 was fine. It was recording 2 hd at once. It was only barely warm on top ect. Figured 120 with all that processing wold be fine but was not sure. Right now its at 115 internal. It is recording hd again.
    The r22 was also doing dual hd and other then the internal temp thought is was not much over room.

The r16 concerns me. It is still warm this morning and as i stated it got chilly last night. Internal 120 and it is not recording! Warm to the touch but not burning hot like last night.